+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pally looking for Gear advice

Pally looking for Gear advice

Alright folks, I am one of our guilds MT for our ICC 10 team, and we JUST dipped into RS 10 last night for the first time for giggles. The problem I have been finding is that I'm taking lots of damage (more than a lower geared Prot Pally in an allied guild) and I'm finding that I run OOM more than I would like - maybe once on a boss fight, a few times on trash if it gets hectic. So looking over my talents and skill I figured maybe stacking straight Stamina isn't the way a Pro Pally should go, with Blessing of Sanctuary - maybe avoidance is the way to go. So I took a shot at it, I use the Avoidance Macro and Unhittable macro from this site and I read that a Dodge:Parry ideal ratio is about 1.8 - so I wrote a macro to calculate that. I went from about.... 65.50% avoidance and 68.75% unhittable (without Holy Shield) with a 1.51 Dodge:Parry ratio. I swapped out 9 +30 Stamina Gems for 5 +20 Dodge and 4 +20 Parry gems, and well, it didn't do much.....I went to 67.88% avoidance, 70.87% unhittable (without Holy Shield) with 1.52 D:P ratio. With a sacrifice of about 2700 Stam I didn't get as much avoidance boost as I would have hoped. I know I need to Enchant my Cloak (I picked it up last night), just waiting on my Enchanter to get on. I'm not sure what direction I should go with regarding the rest of my Gems, and even Enchants - for both my current gear and future Frost Emblem/ICC/RS gear. I am also still working on getting my Rotation down pat, I now use more of a FCFS rotation, using HS as often as I can. also I know my avoidance is going to be garbage in ICC cause of the -20% Dodge Debuff, but now that we tried RS that my main target for gear now - my current gear got me into ICC (I've actually been in here since I had a 4.5k gs as an OT), now I need to get RS ready. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, I'm looking to keep my mana up with avoidance while not being squishy :P

Wow Armory isn't quite uptodate with my New Gems :s I'll post it within the next few hours!

I don't understand. You have two points in Spiritual Attunement and even wasted a glyph slot on it, which gives you 12% mana return - almost all Paladins go with 1/2 and no glyph, and have absolutely no mana problems. Are you not using Divine Plea? It's pretty much impossible for a Prot Paladin to run out of mana in a raid setting, the only exception being if you're not taking any damage at all (off-tanking Festergut for example). And even then, skipping HS goes a long way.

Definitely do not swap out stamina for avoidance, you're gimping your survival for no reason. Avoidance isn't going to help you with mana - getting hit and healed is going to generate a similar amount of mana.

The rotation is not FCFS, it's 96969. 96969 is the highest-threat rotation possible while still maintaining a 100% uptime on Holy Shield.

Enchant and gem for max EH - stam and armor.

I don't understand it either, if I'm pulling and I'm on taunt, I'm fine, but I find that I run out of mana unless I'm constantly healed. I don't like using a 96969 rotation, I find pulling with HoR or AS then use - depending on the raid - Consecration, Hammer of Righteous, Shield of Righteous, Judgement of Wisdom, and Holy Wrath when acceptable. But after a minute or two I'm about OOM. Could the type of healer be an issue? I'm just looking to be as efficient as possible

With regard to your mana issue, are you being healed by a Discipline priest? Only time I have mana issues is in 5 mans and if I have a Disc priest healing me. The absorbs don't play nicely with Spiritual Attunement.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    With regard to your mana issue, are you being healed by a Discipline priest? Only time I have mana issues is in 5 mans and if I have a Disc priest healing me. The absorbs don't play nicely with Spiritual Attunement.
    The absorbs aren't going to mana starve you.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmacy View Post
    The absorbs aren't going to mana starve you.
    They do me in 5 mans, if I use Consecrate too much; it appears I get no mana back from an absorb.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    They do me in 5 mans, if I use Consecrate too much; it appears I get no mana back from an absorb.
    I meant in a raid environment. In a 5-man it can have a noticeable impact, but metering out your mana usage in a 5-man is pretty normal.

Yea, our guilds Tank Healer is a Disc Priest, but I ask him to keep me well healed for SA and he does, it's when I'm not being healed as much that kills me. However I don't Plea very often cause I don't have it glyphed, will it make that much of a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by muddbutt View Post
    Yea, our guilds Tank Healer is a Disc Priest, but I ask him to keep me well healed for SA and he does, it's when I'm not being healed as much that kills me. However I don't Plea very often cause I don't have it glyphed, will it make that much of a difference?
    You need to glyph it, and use it all the time. It's a crucial part of your mana regen, and the 3% damage reduction is also crucial defensively.

You're specced into Guarded by the Light, right? You cast Divine Plea once on the pull and it's constantly refreshed while you're meleeing something. If it falls off mid-fight, recast it. That's why the Divine Plea glyph is mandatory - it's 3% damage reduction which is active for the entire time you're tanking anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmacy View Post
    I meant in a raid environment. In a 5-man it can have a noticeable impact, but metering out your mana usage in a 5-man is pretty normal.
    Yeah, I agree. I with all the HoTs and Chain Heals flying around, it's never an issue in raid. I was focusing on his 5 man issue.

I would require an armory link in order to give you specific help but for the most part stamina is what you should be gemming. Not avoidance. The only time you need to be unhitable is for adds on heroic Anub. Other than that you are gimping your survivability. There are multiple places on this site that go into affective health verses avoidance.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...g-mechanics%29

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...fective-Health

These are two links explaining in detail the difference between EHP vs Avoidance AND Stamina vs Armor. No reason to reinvent the wheel here. Especially since my wheel wouldn't be as good as the original.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the FCFS rotation. Isn't that more of a Ret Pally rotation or something? Anyways they are correct when they say you should use 969 rotation.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...t-dps-rotation

This is an in depth explanation of paladin rotation and threat. I hate to say it but it feels like you haven't done much research on your own on how to tank with your paladin. These should get you started. If you want specific help with your gear please post and armory link.

Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread