+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where do I tank after WOTLK heroics?

Where do I tank after WOTLK heroics?

Can someone please tell me where I should progress once I have all the gear I can get from WOTLK heroics? I only know a couple of people in the game so it will be mostly PUGs unfortunately. I tried getting in a couple of 10 mans but was told due to lack of ACH score I wasn't welcome. I'd love to continue on in the content but it seems that I have hit a wall with groups not wanting me from lack of experience / GS.

Thanks in advance.

p.s I'm a prot warrior.

First of all, without a point of reference it isn't very easy to gauge what content would be appropriate for you. Please provide your character name and server, or preferably a link directly to your character in the armory. Since this information isn't available on your TankSpot account information or in the post, it is hard to advice you in anyway.

Where do you progress after 5 mans? Raids. That is the short answer. However, without knowing your current situation it is impossible to determine which raids you are appropriately prepared for.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Unfortunately the way they have screwed wotlk, after 5man farming you need to be luck to get into a raiding guild who will be running ICC, since they made nax/ulduar/toc irrelevant.

My advice would be to bare your teeth in some ICC/TOC pugs, make sure you know your ins and outs of the class/spec and apply to a good standing raiding guild one at a time, if you apply to a few at once they will think you are not focused/loyal on joining them. As a tank research all the ICC bosses as well, a tank that is unprepared is a raid killer.
    Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party, this Is something I have missed since nov 08.

Look on the realm forums for guilds looking for members and apply to them. Indicate you're a growing player.

Guild > Pug. Even if it's on a alt run or something like that.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

First off, I think you should have posted this in the HALP! forum. Check out http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...before-posting

Once you are in the HALP forum, we'll need an armory link.

To answer Bowen's question, if you run heroics to death, which is very easy as a tank, you should have enough Emblems of Triumph to get Full T9 (ilvl 232) or more preferably, a lot of 245 offset gear (helm, shoulders, etc.), crafted gear using crusader orbs (chest, bracers), T9/T10 from VoA (gloves/legs, 232/245/251/264), and assorted emblem purchases (trinkets, rings, belt, cloak, ranged, etc.). If you truly are at the limit of all that can be purchased with emblems of triumph, that should be enough for icc10.
    This is all aside from frost emblem collection, which you should spend VERY WISELY. In fact, I wouldn't spend any until you have all that you can get from triumph emblems. You will get a few to start off by doing ICC 5 mans, and a few every week on a continuous basis. You should be getting a lot of if you keep at it, 14 a week from daily dungeons (2 per day), 5 from weekly raid, 4 from voa10/25, and maybe some from RS10, depending on how far you get. That's a LOT of frost emblems per week. This should allow for some key upgrades, specifically frost emblem cloak, belt, trinket, in that order I believe.

Once you have full triumph gear and a few frost gear, properly enchanted and gemmed, your gearscore should easily exceed 5k, a rough rule of thumb for ICC10. I cannot warrant that your skills will match your gearscore, as lack of performance will also get your booted quickly.

Moved to HALP!

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Just keep trying to get in, you'll catch on somewhere. Also, keep running five-mans an when you do, look on trade chat for people in your realm who might want to go. This will help you network and when someone you ran with who knows you can tank is looking for an offtank for that ToC10 run, they might think of you.

Assuming http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...san&cn=Mortuos is you

Enchant your gear. You're under the defense min for raids, but if you use the pvp shoulder enchant you will be ok. You are missing 128 stam, improved run speed, 225 armor (cloak), 275 health (chest) because of your lack of enchants.

Also you should get the triumph tanking thrown weapon and the Glyph of Indomitability to replace Ick's Rotting Thumb. While you're grinding badges, you might as well pick up Shard of the Crystal Forest from conquest badges (it's only 19 and it's a pretty huge upgrade from the blue you're wearing).

As for where to go next...if you can get into a ToC 10 or 25 you could pick up a shield from either version (and/or a Jugg's Vit). Depending on your server, a simple 4/12 pug of icc10 might be an option as well...there's a lot of decent tanking gear in the first 4 bosses which would be nice upgrades for you.

Ion,
    thanks for taking the time to find my character and providing me with exactly the information I was looking for. I do have the token thrown weapon just didnt have it equiped at the time. Im working on the enchants now and will be able to progress even faster now that I know what ones to get.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Just having a really hard time getting in PUGs because I dont have the ACH or the GS people want these days.

It's a shame about pugs because the ones who are crap always ask for GS yet they are always covered in vendor epics. Try make some friends with people who are in good raiding guilds on your realm, do 5mans with them and next time they do an alt run like we do a 25man one on sundays they might just offer you a place
    Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party, this Is something I have missed since nov 08.

With a few steps you will be much more prepared to pug ICC:

- Replace your gems with epic ones,
    - enchant your gear,
    - get a few easy upgrades: 245 crafted wrist, replace your avoidance trinket for the 245 triumph trinket.

With this, the 30% buff and proper knowledge of tactics you'll be ready to start ICC, at least the 1st 4 bosses will not give any problem. If a pug leader inspects you and sees your not enchanted and gemed correctly he will not take a new tank.

For a list of which gems and enchants you should be using, check out Agg's prot warrior guide:

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-Tanking-Guide

And check out the first two links in this thread for an idea of what gear is currently available to you:

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...er-Gear-Guides!

+ Reply to Thread