+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A New Hero class, just a thought

A New Hero class, just a thought

So when WOTLK was coming out everyone wanted to make a DK cuase it started out as a high level and had a cool starting background area and all that. What it did though was crowd a 3rd DPS into a gear niche and more importantly solved the tank issue because now everyone pretty much had a tank in the bank if their guild needed one. Well now i am noticing that healers (an already hard thing to get alot of times) are becoming more scarce. With the changes to Cataclysm healing i think we will see an even bigger drop out in healer numbers. What i would like to see is a new hero class based somewhere in the cata lore (there has to be something there some lore master help me here) that is a healer and ranged DPS. Their is a lot of competition for gear right now but, an 11th class wont upset the balance if done right. As of now holy paladins get plate spell gear only that's where i want to place this new class. 1 whole gear type for 1 spec of 1 class is crazy and stupid IMO always has been. I would like to get 2 healing trees with one DPS tree and balance all of it around current style itemization for holy plate (with the whole mastery thing coming into play as well). I would really love to have it start at 55 like a DK and end just around 60 so people still go through outlands and WOTLK and the new Cata content. What are your thoughts and ideas on this guys? It is just something i have been tossing around with my buddies for a while now.

I agree with the point about every piece of gear can be used by another class except for SP plate (well there are SP dk's, lol). It just seems like a wasted drop. As far as making a new hero class to deal with this, Blizz could easily take out that gear and put the armor mastory for holy pallies as mail which would be a LOT easier to impliment at this point in the development of cata than creating a whole new class. Your idea for a new hero class kinda sounds like a melee priest imo. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be interesting to have in the xpac after cata, but to have a new class ready to go for cata would push back the release of cata and i'm ready for cata to be released yesterday and i'm sure many are too.
    The same could be said for cloth armor, but in reverse. I've ran into people that believe that ANY gear with spirit on it is purely healer gear even though other classes benefit from spirit. Yet these people that say this as a healer also wear gear that doesn't have spirit. Thankfully spirit is being taken away in Cata.

The delay of launch is something i agree with it is to late in WOTLK for me to get KS on my server (it is still a progression heavy fight for me) so i want new content to raid. you can't take away holy plate there is to much "lore" involved with the paladin class the QQ would never end. Also i dont want this class to melee AT ALL that is already to crowded in the plate department. My whole reasoning is leveling a healer is a big undertaking it takes a long time so alot of people wont do it. DK's starting at 55 let alot of people who would not have otherwise leveled a tank level one. I would like the same thing for healing and ranged DPS to happen.

Sounds like a plate priest imo. Yes it would be nice to have more healers, but honestly it really doesnt take too long to level any toon especially if you find and level with a partner. Even without a partner and the LFD tool leveling a healer or tank is quite easily as long as you read up on your class before you get serious about leveling.
    Yes the reason to have a new hero class because of lore reason would be interesting but I have no clue what that would be mostly because i do not get into all of the lore.

Let's not forget the nightmare that is balancing a new class. We don't want to have to deal with that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Petninja View Post
    Let's not forget the nightmare that is balancing a new class. We don't want to have to deal with that again.
    Not to mention the QQ about how the new class sux because they didnt have those 55 levels to learn to play their class.

Re: A New Hero class, just a thought

Hmm some interesting ideas. The one thing I have to say is that there is no surplus is tanks on our server, if anything there is a surplus of healers. It is much easier for a caster Dps to dual spec healer and use the current gear for healing for heroics. While it may not be ideal the gear can push through. And with the changes to stats I think it will be even easier for them to switch. If you have shadow priest you can easily go holy or disc, boomkin? Go tree.

Now ranking is a different story, the gear you need for Dps is nothing like the gear you need for tanking. This will change some in Cata but not nearly enough. Plus if you have a good enough tank you can push through almost anything but raids, but if the tank's gear isn't up to snuff then the group hits a wall fast.

I've played both roles and there is a definite difference. As to a heroic class they won't do races and classes on same xpac. The logistics would be overwhelming. I do see them doing a healer hero class in the near future. See how they work it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrde View Post
    Now ranking is a different story, the gear you need for Dps is nothing like the gear you need for tanking. This will change some in Cata but not nearly enough. Plus if you have a good enough tank you can push through almost anything but raids, but if the tank's gear isn't up to snuff then the group hits a wall fast.

I've played both roles and there is a definite difference. As to a heroic class they won't do races and classes on same xpac. The logistics would be overwhelming. I do see them doing a healer hero class in the near future. See how they work it though.
    Well, currently for tanking heroics all you really need is ToC10 quality dps gear and a shield (for shield tanks) and your healers will have no problem healing you. For any progression content if your healers are in DPS gear they will not be sufficient.

Currently, it's easy enough to gear up whatever spec you want that within a week of deciding to change you should have no problem from a gear perspective.

If you ask me, the reason there is a healer shortage is because people don't want the responsibility/don't find whack-a-mole fun. Adding a new healer class isn't going to solve anything in the long run. The reasons queue times as dps are so long is because there are no tanks around, and DKs didn't solve that any.

Re: A New Hero class, just a thought

[QUOTE=Petninja;

If you ask me, the reason there is a healer shortage is because people don't want the responsibility/don't find whack-a-mole fun. Adding a new healer class isn't going to solve anything in the long run. The reasons queue times as dps are so long is because there are no tanks around, and DKs didn't solve that any.[/QUOTE]

Agree to the responsibility part. No one wants the pressures of tanking/healing. Dps is roll through you rotation take all the glory for topping the meters or blame others for your standing on the fire.

NEW HERO CLASS:

Druids:

The feral tree has been splint into two separate trees and druids are now the only class with 4 talent trees to choose from.

ugg please no lol
    Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party, this Is something I have missed since nov 08.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    NEW HERO CLASS:

Druids:

The feral tree has been splint into two separate trees and druids are now the only class with 4 talent trees to choose from.
    amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Petninja View Post

If you ask me, the reason there is a healer shortage is because people don't want the responsibility/don't find whack-a-mole fun. Adding a new healer class isn't going to solve anything in the long run. The reasons queue times as dps are so long is because there are no tanks around, and DKs didn't solve that any.
    Which is odd, as most of my wipes are due to DPS, either through not switching target fast enough, not kiting oozes correctly, not running out of blistering cold, or attacking the wrong things (blood beasts, dark nuclei)

DPS is arguable a lot easier to screw up on and probably the most expected to step up on a fight, if the Healing team just can keep the raid alive you generally call it, if the tanks just can't stay alive, you generally say oh well, better get him some more gear. if the DPS screw things over you generally have another go, with the DPS being told they must get it right, no?

But then I just don't get the attraction of DPS (seems to be like tanking but without the thrill), and healing is a mystic art to me, and from what my healers tell me about it, it seems a totally different game, and not really that fun. I hate add tanking, or rather i hate add tanking when i have 25 odd adds, and i'm fighting fo threat on all of them, and that pretty much what i get healing to be the equicalent of.

I would like for SP plate to have some other use than holy pallies, but shoe horning another healing class seems well a bit forced. I'd rather have Spell power/hast/crit do something for unholy DKs, much like the Deathknights of the old Horde, since they where pretty much locks possessing Warriors. would be interesting to say the least.
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 08-22-2010 at 06:34 PM.

is

Quote Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
    ugg please no lol
    referring to the post directly above it:

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    NEW HERO CLASS:

Druids:

or the OP's idea

if it was in reference to my post, why. There are so many problems created by the cat/bear tree, including balancing the other 3 tanking classes, that this would be an amazing solution

I had a thought for a Hero class - Basically i call it the Bubbler
    like its a healing priority class, where its cast time and distance away play a part in how much healing it can do
    Basically its meant to be the same as a paladin healer - ideal for tank heals but maby have a tree for rading.
    Um ok - what it does it casts Bubbles of healing that only heal when they hit the target - and arent instant heals like every other heal eg Chain heal or flash of light. they have to travel over a distance so often to be useful they have to be in mele range, probbly needing high armor talents if cloth or to wear plate or cloth armor. i was thinking that Big bubbles could be burst large heals and small continious small bubbles for quick tank heals.
    just a thought i had while thinkin of the seahorse mount in catya - i think it would fit in with the whole theme of the underwater scene but eh - i suppose it wont fit in like the Death knight did with the Lore in WotLK (caus DKs already existed ingame) but who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Damango View Post
    I had a thought for a Hero class - Basically i call it the Bubbler
    like its a healing priority class, where its cast time and distance away play a part in how much healing it can do
    Basically its meant to be the same as a paladin healer - ideal for tank heals but maby have a tree for rading.
    Um ok - what it does it casts Bubbles of healing that only heal when they hit the target - and arent instant heals like every other heal eg Chain heal or flash of light. they have to travel over a distance so often to be useful they have to be in mele range, probbly needing high armor talents if cloth or to wear plate or cloth armor. i was thinking that Big bubbles could be burst large heals and small continious small bubbles for quick tank heals.
    just a thought i had while thinkin of the seahorse mount in catya - i think it would fit in with the whole theme of the underwater scene but eh - i suppose it wont fit in like the Death knight did with the Lore in WotLK (caus DKs already existed ingame) but who knows
    like super bandiads

Sorry I should have put more, just no in general for me. There are already enough selections in each class/type of play style but what there isn't is a method implemented by developers for people who have the "I won't learn how to play my class properly because I don't want/have time to be hardcore or I play for fun" way of thinking or even don't know there are optimal ways to get more out of your character.

I'd support an extremely extremely well thought out and designed class if there was such a way ingame to properly learn how to master the roles it offers, but until that happens it would end up been a handful of skilled people and 99% more idiots in randoms ect.
    Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party, this Is something I have missed since nov 08.

Its a good balance right now. 4 possible tank classes, 4 possible healing classes, 4 strickly dps classes. Its all good. Just roll a worgen like everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

What about instead of a new healing class, a new ROLE withing a raid environment?

Tank
    Healer
    DPS
    "NEW ROLE"

The new role would be a hybrid that would allow some heals and/or dps but their primary function would be to provide buffs to allies or debuffs for MOBS? You cant do a raid without tanks, heals or dps, but if this could be tune properly, it could boost the effectiveness of any of those roles to allow for less of them. For example, if you normally need 6 healers for a raid, perhaps you could do it with 5 and this role because of the effect it has on the healers and their abilities.

I know it would be a nightmare to balance.... so it likely wont happen.... but the use of this could allow raids that wouldnt get off the ground to happen. Maybe a dps plate class could tank if you had a healer and one of these classes, thus removing the need for a tank in a 5 man?

It could buff heals through a channel to his teammates, debuff bosses so mobs do less damage, etc.....

Yeah I know.... no way, right?
    Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....

*kind of tongue in cheek* Mmm.. what if you could merge 2 characters at max level into 1? Gain access to 6 talent trees instead of 3 and all the spells of both. This process burns both child toons but merges into a new hero class of your own creation...

Warrior + Mage = Battle Mage
    Warlock + Hunter = Beastmaster
    Priest + Paladin = Holy Warrior

+ Reply to Thread