+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question from a Prot Warrior

Question from a Prot Warrior

My problem is that ive found its tough for me to hold aggro on spellcasting trash. For example the majority of the pulls you see in FoS are like this. Sometimes i can get them all in front of me and just cleave, TC and Shockwave and keep aggro. But its the pulls were the casters are asses and when i pull just stay in one spot and cast. So what happens is i find myself taunting as much as possible cause the smart dps always go for them and i keep losing the aggro back to the dps. I know u should try and use line of sight but some pulls there is nothing to hide behind. I was just wondering if there are any secrets are things i havent thought of. And any other advance you may have when it comes to Warrior tanking that you would want to share would be also well appreciated. Thanks for the help

I'm quite new to tanking but, what I usualy do is using Heroic throw and spell reflection to maintain the aggro.
    Also trying to tank the melee targets at the casters so my TC and Shockwave hits them aswell.
    Using Challenging Shout can also be a life saver.

Hope it was any help.

Charge in on 1 caster do shield bash, then use heroic throw on the other caster and line them all together and do your aoe abilites, this should keep em all together. and ofcourse use spell reflection, a major help in all ICC5man. U cant always keep aggro up, and it's not ur fault if the dps is over aggroing, and remember u have taunt which is up every few seconds that will help.

as lambie said, if you've specced into gag order, your heroic throw and sheild bash should silence the target, with warbringer you also have multiple charges. if you use a macro like

#showtooltip
    /castsequence [harm] reset=15 Charge, Intercept, Charge; [help] Intervene;

it will allow you to have charge, intercept and intervene on one button, which can allow you to pick up many adds, example 1: a group of 2/3 casters and melee, charge one, shield bash him, heroic throw the other and gather them up in front of you, using your aoe abilities (and spell reflect) to keep aggro.

example 2: heroic throw is on cooldown, you charge one, shieldbash, intercept the other caster with the same button and let the others group up around you.

it's a handy macro that saves space and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambie View Post
    Charge in on 1 caster do shield bash, then use heroic throw on the other caster.
    Exactly what i do get em all up in a big group none of them move away from you once they are stacked up, however I also do the unthinkable and Like to mark a Skull, it's not fun trying to gather them up and have your dps all over the place
    US|Thrall|Horde Yea, I Love Plate
    Ike(Fury Warrior) Oit(Dk Tank) Oiz(Holy Pally)

There are 2 spellcaster packs that are problematic. The first and the one inside the circle building thing.

The best solution I've found is:

A) Run with a DK and a1) Charge to the other, melee mobs run to you. a2) DK death grips caster mob. a3) switch target to death gripped caster add as 'primary target).

If no DK is available, then as everyone is suggesting.

B) Charge 1 caster, melee runs to you, Heroic Throw the other (ask DPS to hold off on that one/AoE for 3 seconds so he can run to you).
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Good suggestions already, but some other tactics to consider for any instances:

a) "Give" hot damagers the skull, one of the casters (maybe even a hunter in HoR). Tell them you're not going to tank it unless they get into trouble, and it's their job to burn it down fast while you gather everything else up. A lot of damagers will eat this up. Don't forget vigilance for the free taunts in case it goes poorly.

b) Mark a target and ask for a silence from a shadow priest, a counterspell from a mage, silencing shot from a Marksman Hunter, etc. just to get them moving.

c) Charge a mob near to the caster you want to move (so you don't stun what you want to move), switch targets to the caster and shield bash, switch targets and heroic throw at the other caster while moving towards them. Change your expectations, and plan out how to move the casters together over the course of 2 shield bashes rather than expecting it will all work in the initial pull. You'll want to adjust your use of "ranged" attacks, thunderclap and shockwave, based on that plan and positioning of the melee mobs.

d) Remember that taunt doesn't require facing the target. (Never hurts to get reminded of that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Waal View Post
    Good suggestions already, but some other tactics to consider for any instances:

a) "Give" hot damagers the skull, one of the casters (maybe even a hunter in HoR). Tell them you're not going to tank it unless they get into trouble, and it's their job to burn it down fast while you gather everything else up. A lot of damagers will eat this up. Don't forget vigilance for the free taunts in case it goes poorly.

b) Mark a target and ask for a silence from a shadow priest, a counterspell from a mage, silencing shot from a Marksman Hunter, etc. just to get them moving.

c) Charge a mob near to the caster you want to move (so you don't stun what you want to move), switch targets to the caster and shield bash, switch targets and heroic throw at the other caster while moving towards them. Change your expectations, and plan out how to move the casters together over the course of 2 shield bashes rather than expecting it will all work in the initial pull. You'll want to adjust your use of "ranged" attacks, thunderclap and shockwave, based on that plan and positioning of the melee mobs.

d) Remember that taunt doesn't require facing the target. (Never hurts to get reminded of that.)
    This is some of the best advice I have seen yet, and it also prepairs folks for the way things will be in cata. You have given direction, and given it in a way that gives DPS a purpose so they don't just go all out on whatever, and at the same time, you have set up a situation that is easily controlled by the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Grannos View Post
    This is some of the best advice I have seen yet, and it also prepairs folks for the way things will be in cata. You have given direction, and given it in a way that gives DPS a purpose so they don't just go all out on whatever, and at the same time, you have set up a situation that is easily controlled by the tank.
    your assuming the people hes partying with can follow simple directions.not everyone who plays world of warcraft can,although i used to hate spellcaster mobs on my warrior tanking until i got the skill concussion blow(im only lvl 40)

If you can get the dps to play nice, you can definitely Spell Reflect tank. Just keep SR on cooldown and you'll do about 6k damage to the mob each time you reflect. This is enough to ward off healer aggro. The only time this doesn't work is when some ambitious young dps decides to go over and solo said caster.

And don't underestimate demo shout for initial aggro, even on mobs that aren't adjacent. Its not alot but it's usually enough to get them to cast their first spell (which you'll reflect) at you.

If there are only two, tank the adds on the first one and heroic throw the second. It will come to you if youre specced into Gag Order. If there are three, you'll need to shield bash and heroic throw. One other thing is to get aggro and LOS (line of sight) the caster. He will have to run to you.
    Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....

+ Reply to Thread