+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My DPS isnt where it should be

My DPS isnt where it should be

My guildies complain that my dps is rather low for the gear I have.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ine&cn=Snippeh

Ive followed the rotation from the fury guide. When I test my dps on the dummy sometimes I'd be hitting 2.8k-3k dps, and sometimes it would be like 3.8k-4.1k dps! Rawr says I should be pumping out 4.9k with just my Battle Shout alone.

Im using Death Wish/Recklessness but it doesn't seem to matter. The only confusion for me is this GCD timer. And how do I make sure my HS is an attack on next swing and not GCD...? I guess you can say Im fairly new to dps Havent played WoW for years and just recently gotten back into it. Prz halp

HS is always on-next attack, it's off the GCD completely.

This sounds like a rotation issue as much as anything.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-Warrior-Guide

Should answer 90% of your rotation questions.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Ok, I do that rotation, WW, BT, Slam on proc (or HS). So I assume free GCD is an HS?
    I guess I will have to keep on trying I guess it really is my rotation.

No, the GCDs are:

WW to start (0.0)
    BT on next GCD (1.5)
    Slam on Next GCD if proc'd, if not --- free GCD to do with as you need (Sunder, battle shout, demo shout, etc)
    Next GCD is wait for BT (~1 sec)
    Next GCD is wait for WW to begin the rotation over again (~1 sec)

HS is queued up always as rage allows. It modifies your white MH attack so it doesn't affect your GCDs at all, in any way, shape or form.
    HS =/= GCD

It helps to have an addon alert you when slams proc. I use Slam! but I'm not sure it's very accurate all the time.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Oh...so thats a GCD. So this GCD I dont necessary need to use than correct? I use Warrior Proc Alert, seems pretty accurate. Does Death Wish and Recklessness count as a GCD?

Yes, Recklessness and Deathwish are on the GCD. If you pop them, pop Recklessness first, then Deathwish. Recklessness affects 3 special attacks over 12 seconds so you have plenty of time to pop Reckless and then Deathwish and you'll still have the 3.0, 4.5, 6.0, 7.5, 9.0 and 10.5 GCDs to use 3 of WW/BT/Slam on. (I think slam counts)

Heroic strike turns a normal white swing into a yellow special attack. Not only does it do more damage, it also misses MUCH less. The downside is that you dont get rage generation for a yellow attack (of course, you can glyph to get rage on a HS crit).

If you have a lot of rage, you essentially wind up spamming HS. Make sure you dont do that unless there is a lot of rage (like constant damage from Rotface or Twins in TOC). You never want to miss a spot in your rotation because you rage starved yourself. On the other hand, a lot of the time, your rage will be above 60. If so, use HS. It will help a lot.
    Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....

I fail at rotation, still only doing 3.5k-3.8k -.- Following the WW, BT, Slam if up, BT, WW...do not understand what I am doing wrong

I guess im going to have to work at it T___T
    Last edited by Snippeh; 08-18-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snippeh View Post
    I fail at rotation, still only doing 3.5k-3.8k -.- Following the WW, BT, Slam if up, BT, WW...do not understand what I am doing wrong

I guess im going to have to work at it T___T
    Yep. I spent several days, 20 minutes a day, at target dummies practicing the rotation. The hardest thing was I was fail DPS last time I DPS'd regularly (last October?) and since then I've been a growing tank. So going from tanking, when you have a metric ton of tools and you need to use all of them in specific situations to having 5 buttons (WW, BT, Slam, HS and depending on the fight Pummel - I love being at the top of the interrupt list while dealing the most total and DPS damage in pugs on LDW), it felt weird having a rotation at first and it took a lot of practice and discipline to get it down.

However, if your 3.5 - 3.8 is on a target dummy with only Battle Shout, Death Wish and Recklessness, you're in the ballpark. I plugged you into Landsoul's and your BS only buffed self's ceiling is 4031.5062 according to the spreadsheet. If you can start hitting 3.8+ reliably, it will show you've got your rotation functional (with room over time to grow).

Based on your current gear, so it will change as you change gear (read thegreatme's post on how to use Landsoul's spreadsheet, I think it's stickied at the top of the DPS forum), some upgrades:

(first though, this list is based on your current gear, I can't repeat this enough, as gear changes so to do the relative value of other gear, so this is a static list, for example if you hit 1316 passive ArP without Banner of Victory, Banner of Victory quickly becomes less valuable)

Ymirjar 251 is a 76 DPS upgrade according to Landsouls (this is self-buffed only I believe)

Gatecrasher's gauntlets are a 230 DPS

Agility Rep ring > Str Rep Ring

Agility Triump ring > Str Triump Ring

Castle Breaker's Chestgaurd is a 136 DPS upgrade over current

If it's going to be a while for the Tier legs, the crafted 264 pants are a 181 DPS increase over your current - with Saronites in trade for ~500 now, that's 4000 to have them crafted. You're a miner so you can make the rest of the mats. So get a guildy to craft them for you (so you don't have to buy the recipe if you odn't have it yet). Spending an hour or two a day running dailies and randoms should get you that in a little over a week. Craft titansteel and sell it, you're not getting 100s of gold, but 70-100g a bar will help, even if you have to buy the eternal fires for 30.

Cloak, so many upgrades, but Might of the Ocean Serpent (264 str cloak) is a 300 DPS upgrade

Vengful noose, the leather 264 emblem belt is a 330 DPS increase

If you're not getting the boots of LDW 25, then the crafted (fewer triumphs so cheaper than the crafted legs) boots are 250 dps or so

Banner of Victory (yes I know it's iLvl 200 and NES is 232) is a 177 DPS increase and it's farmable, run ToC5 Normal with guildies to farm it. Banner will stay more valuable than NES from here on out, though Whisperfang Skull is better than Banner.

Download Landsoul's Spreadsheet. Then all this information would be at your finger tips

And all these DPS are base, they'll grow with buffs and the like as you'll have more Str, ArP, Agi, etc to be buffed and thus higher DPS to be affected.

Thanks for the input!!! I now some of my gear needs upgrading, but its hard to rack up frost badges for me haha. Im trying!

I'll just have to practice my rotation As I know gear isn't that much of an issue atm.

I used Landsoul's spreadhseet, it was rather confusing But since you say my dps should be around 3.5-3.8k it makes me more happy. Rawr says 4.9 :/ I dont know how its giving me that though T_T How can you see DPS on Landsoul's ss?

Landsoul's DPS is in the top left, above your helm on the Fury page.

What you need to be aware of is off to the right and down slightly are all the buffs (kings, battle shout, flasks, food, etc). I turn most of those off when I'm working on a target dummy so I can see what my 'bare' DPS should be, roughly.

My guess is you didn't turn all the buffs off in RAWR, which is why there is the discrepency.

For gear, I tried to avoid drops, so it was easier to achieve gear, and 3 of them you can do tomorrow I would imagine. Triumph Agi ring over Str ring. 200G to switch to ICC Agi Rep Ring from Str ring. Farm Banner of Victory.

You can grind the gold for the legs and boots to buy the saronite and then craft them, so that cuts down on emblem need (at least up front) as well.

And you've got heroic 277 gear, it looks like your guild is running deeper into ICC25, so I really think you can get the emblems pretty quick...

ICC 10/25 = 29 badges for a full clear (12 x 2 for bosses + 5 for weekly), so that's 58 badges a week if you're guild is willing to work on a boss for progression for so long before moving on and clearing it.

THen 2 a day for the randoms, another 14. Then VoA 10/25 for 4 more and the weekly for 5 more. Thats 81 badges a week that you potentially can achieve, at that rate, in less that 2 weeks you can have the Cloak and the Gloves and in 2 more the head and chest.

Hm, not sure about Rawr, I check buffs and all i check is BS and thats it...I must be doing something wrong! But I trust you

I will switch the rings today, at least try to haha. ICC one for sure I can.

For the boots, which one are you talking about? Hellfrozen somethingsomething?

Something like that 264, has ArP. I think the mats are 5 primordial, 8 titansteel and 10 eternal earths or something like that?

Must be! Those boots are going for around 7k on my server So I think im gonna wait for the ICC25 ones. Would have gotten them last time...but I got Bryntroll instead ahaha.

I upgraded my rings! So i hope that boosts my dps. Although I have tried a new rotation. Instead of doing WW first I switch to BT then WW and slam on proc or GCD. On the dummy I am getting 3.8-4.3k dps now. I guess it really was rotation, but definitely need to practise more. As for GCD's I can always fit in HS during the free GCD as well? Or best not to?

Again. HEROIC STRIKE IS NOT ON THE GCD.

It modifies your next WHITE attack (normal melee). Heroic Strike should be queued up as long as you have 50+ rage, especially if it's glyped so it's free when you crit with it.

Heroic strike does not interact with the GCD in any way, shape, or form.

You're a blacksmith... Buy the primordials, in trade you can problem get htem for 500g, I've seen them as low as 450 in trade on my server. That means you're spending 2500G for 5. If a guildy can craft them for you, smelt the titansteel and you should have plenty of eternal earths from mining saronite (if not, just spend a couple hours mining saronite and having a guildy transmute the bars into titanium bars you need for titansteel).

So those 7k boots will actually cost you 2.5k or so.

At this point there's no excuse for not having the crafted gear if they're an upgrade, 1 hour of dailies will need you nearly 200g, a random is another 50g. Any AH, etc, additional randoms.... You should be sitting pretty with gold with just a little bit of work. (serioulsy the Argent Tourny dailies, the ebon blade dailies, the cooking/fishing dailies, the faction flying gunboat - they all reward 10-25 G (with the gold bags from some of the argent tourny dailies). Plus drops and gold and gray vendor gold (usually 20-40 gold for all the dailies).

Gold is achievable.

Ok! I got it!! HS is not a GCD!

Just got the boots made..just need to test on dummy now. Still messing up rotation sometimes >_> Since I can see my dps getting crappy again

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    Again. HEROIC STRIKE IS NOT ON THE GCD.
    I'm thinking part of the OP's misunderstanding is over what a "gcd" is.

GCD = Global CoolDown.

WHen you press an ability and most of your other abilities are unclickable for about 1.5 seconds? That's the global cooldown. Any ability that doesn't do that to your other abilities is "off the GCD". Additionally, Heroic Strike, as was mentioned, is a "on next swing" ability. The next time you would have done a regular autoattack, you instead do a heroic strike (cleave works this way as well).

I hope that makes things clearer.

@Snippeh, grats on the boots.

@Bashal, details details details, if only they really were devils, then I'd have a couple of blades of culling to deal with them.

Im kinda curious, for the rotations, its like WW > BT > GCD or Slam > Wait 1 sec > BT > Wait 1 sec > new rotation. What if I dont wait that one second...I assume that will lower my dps?

If so...i tend to forget about that one second

I've seen debates about it, but I haven't seen the numbers, maybe TGM or Destruyen or one of the others know where to find them.

The basic is hitting something there and not waiting the second makes the WW attack happen .5 seconds or more after the attack. In a 9 second rotation like this, .5 seconds per rotation, over the coarse of a 5 minute fight is ~33 times = 16.5 seconds = ~3 WWs not being used that could be.

One camp says a Slam proc used there (it doesn't matter which one, because it will make the WW ready to use as soon as the GCD is done) offsets the DPS loss of fewer WW, another camp says it doesn't. And I don't recall seeing the numbers... so I'm not going to pretend to know which is 'better' in this case.

+ Reply to Thread