+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Marmot -- Surviving the Cataclysm (Beta)

The Weekly Marmot -- Surviving the Cataclysm (Beta)

Feral druids have a talent to make Skull Bash a 10 sec CD from a 60 second, which I guess you could call "speccing into an interrupt to make it useful".

By the way, 15 minute Marmots are much better than 10 minute episodes, the 10 minute ones always seemed a bit short on time for what you wanted to cover.
    Last edited by Fetzie; 08-17-2010 at 03:31 AM.

So far in the beta I've mainly just given feedback on bugs (mainly quests), and what I was specifically doing to get these bugs to occur. Seems to help out in that department.

I haven't really put in a solid feedback of all of the class skills yet, because as Lore said, paladins are changing a whole bunch. Usually right when I'm about to give feedback of a certain ability that I find fun or not fun, it either gets changed or removed the same day. For instance, I'm really looking forward to testing the Sanctity of Battle talent for ret, however it is not yet implemented. I would love to see what haste affecting the CD on crusader strike will do, and how it will feel. I have no idea if that talent will still be there, but if it is... I'm going to be all over it.

I'll probably start leaving feedback on the holy and prot trees, as those seem to not be getting changed as drastically as ret is at the moment (although prot is getting changed quite a bit, it's not as much as ret IMO).

On that note, I agree with what you said in this episode about freaking out about what changes happened in builds. It is very easy to do so for most people, but you just have to roll with it and give feedback in a positive manner that people can understand. Also... Lore emphasized this quite a bit, but I'll do so in text as well: Don't worry about numbers just yet!

To add to something the above poster Pyrea said, I do love the longer Weekly Marmots. This episode seemed very short even though it was quite a bit longer than the usual episodes. While watching the end of it, I was thinking to myself, "Man, it would be really awesome if there was just some very long episode where Lore just talked with someone about things." It just feels like there's so much to be said, but it has to be restrained to 10-15 minutes. I just think it would be awesome if you made a video, probably split up into a few parts due to the limit, where you had basically a conversation with someone over whatever you are talking about at the time. The other person's response to what you say could possibly just lead the conversation into more depth, bring up points that wouldn't have been thought about, etc.

Its funny, because sometimes you'll hear big name wow bloggers (obviously not Lore here) who have long conversations about how much DPS their abilities are doing in the beta. Then they only spend a bit of time on how the class actually works.

I always get frustrated when people start talking about *numbers* when talking about the beta.

I think the other thing with betas is that you probably already like your class. You probably like it a lot, and have been playing it for awhile. That means you already like how it plays pretty well (if not, you're probably not a very happy player and should probably reroll!). They're going to change how your class and spec plays, almost guaranteed. I think a lot of forum consternation comes from this (I know it does for me). I've been embarrassed where something just really doesn't feel right for me, but after awhile, it grows on me, and I wished I'd given it a bit more of a chance.

So I guess that's what I'm saying. Before you freak, or before you even just make a negative conclusion about a particular ability, give it a chance. If you still don't like it, and it makes up a huge part of how your spec is going to play, well, expansions are a great time to switch main specs or main toons! At some point, Blizzard is designing the game, not you, and no matter how much pontificating or caterwauling you do, you aren't going to get them to change their minds if they don't agree with your reasoning.

BTW Hunters have to spec into silencing shot *^.^*

Pers3us: You mean, give Lore a reason to talk for a long time? I can bet he'll be 125% behind you on that idea. lol

As usual, great information. I, unfortunately, have been unable to get my hands on a beta key, so I'm missing out on all the epic new content and such. Sucks to be me, but it just makes me look foward to the final product even more.
    My greatest fear is that I've already found my damn purpose in life, and that I'm on a slow, tiresome walk to the grave.

Though I am not playing the beta because I want to go into Cata as blindly as possible for a more suprising experience, I am keeping up to date on the introduced ideas and giving my feedback. I play a Shadow Priest at the moment and I have been achievement hunting on him since the release of WotLK but even with the Cata changes to the class I feel like I will be experiencing the same play mechanics with class but just with different content. I have decided to reroll my main toon to a Druid. I leveled this Druid to 80 and saving him for Cata so that I experience the feeling of a possibe whole new game and @Pyrea I agree strongly, people view the video becuase they like to hear you talk Lore so extended would never be a problem. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Storm6178 View Post
    BTW Hunters have to spec into silencing shot *^.^*

And Shadow Priests - Silence

I very much approve of this marmot. As a software engineer, it can be difficult to get all the work completely working by a due date, or sometimes they make you give an early demo of what you're doing and it isn't what they want ebcause it isn't complete. That's why I really only read WoWHead and MMO-Champion really for Cataclysm changes. It's al going to change, so why bother griping about it. If it's that big an issue, like Lore said, just write a good email, not some nerd raging forum post.

Also from being a software engineer I completely understand the whole warrior tank threat thing. I am sure that as soon as the engineer heard about it he was like "yeah, well you stole my flash drive before i could save the completed file. gg"

Also, moonkins have to spec into that solar blast thingy, the aoe interrupt.
    You can whine and moan, but the gnome mage will always win.

Quote Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
    And Shadow Priests - Silence
    Balance Druids spec into Solar Beam.

I think the point has been established. Lore is human and makes mistakes.

On the other point of numbers, while Blizzard does have the almighty spreadsheet in the sky it is still important to some regard that testers actually look into the numbers they are seeing in beta such that if there is balancing issues that are identified and Blizzard has that information so they can correct it. They make mistakes too. What I see as unimportant information is something like "wow, my dps went up 2k in beta". What is interesting is "I've done some testing on abilty Y and the coefficient seems to be incorrect, here is my data." Numbers can be worthless, or they can be worth a great deal depending on how they are used.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    I think the point has been established. Lore is human and makes mistakes.
    No, Lore is a marmot. Marmots, however, have been known to make mistakes from time to time.
    You can whine and moan, but the gnome mage will always win.

Retri arent the only spec to spec into interupts. Arms warriors at the moment in the beta have to spec into a stun/interupt.
    Arms DPS main spec // Prot warrior tank off-spec

Lore, it's a shame that you have to add disclaimers when you talk about hypothetical tank balance, but it's necessary because there are so many WoW players who take things too literally. Likewise the players who see a poor change in Beta and then go on a tirade about how broken the game is, how there's no hope for their class, how Blizzard hates it's customers, etc. It feels as though people like you and Ghostcrawler have to spend twice as much time explaining themselves and backtracking on points well made rather than talking about the points themselves, all because of the players who stir up needless hassle.

An interrupt is something that only works if the target is casting, and it prevents spells in that school from being cast again for a set amount of time.

A silence prevents the target from casting at all for a set period of time.

They are two different ability groups.

Shield Bash - interrupt. If you spec Gag Order, it is also a silence.
    Counterspell - interrupt. If you spec Improved Counterspell, it is also a silence.
    Silence - it is not an interrupt (against players). It is a silence. The interrupt portion is added there only because boss mobs are immune to silence effects (but not interrupts).
    Silencing Shot - it is not an interrupt (against players). It is a silence. Same as silence on PVE utility.

That said, I do believe Feral Druids are going to have to spec into their interrupt as well?
    Last edited by Knighterrant81; 08-17-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Feral druids get a 60 second cooldown equivalent of pummel, and can reduce the cooldown to 10 seconds with two deep feral talent points

To be clear, ZAMOfficial is a YouTube partner, I could technically make the marmot 2 hours long if I really wanted to. I try to keep them in the 10-15 minute mark just because that's an easier span of time for people to fit into their day. 5000 people might love a 2 hour marmot, but 50,000 would just never watch it because they don't have 2 hours to spend on one video :P

I can see it now, the feature film, LORE!

Starring...
    Lore.
    His amazing cat, give it a lick.
    The one ring, that replaced the other ring.
    The guitar formerly known as the guitar in the corner.
    And the Starcraft Ghost poster.

I don't know if 2 hours would be enough.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Shadow Priests have to spec into an Interrupt.

As an Englishman myself, I rather liked your British joke, cracked me up.
    Also,
    I hear you on the Paladin changes. I also haven't been able to keep up with the other classes and I am a freakin' forum monkey.
    So much changes incoming. One thing I would recommend Lore, is to hit up http://www.retpaladin.com/warcraft/forums/
    There is a lot of solid ret pally discussion, would be interesting having you join in a little.
    Really helping me keep up with our plethora of changes.
    Last edited by Samius; 08-17-2010 at 08:49 PM.

The Silverleaf Renaissance Faire in Portage, MI?

+ Reply to Thread