+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Prot Warrior looking for a check up.

My point was that being crit immune for heroics is overrated. This isn't TBC. The damage incoming from mobs in WotLK heroics isn't particularly impressive, and if you're wearing at least a shield and a couple pieces of tanking gear (to get a decent amount of hp, armor and avoidance) of 232+ quality it's fine to throw on similar-level dps gear. There's no particular danger. You still have shield wall/last stand/LoH/whatever else you class can do...the OP has fine gear. He could easily replace some of his lower level gear (weapon (I'd definitely only go for higher level stuff here), ring, trinket(s), gloves, chest...probably even more) with equivalent-or-higher-level DPS items in heroics.

I notice the OP got his pillars (grats) and dropped below 540 in his tanking gear, though. Might want to consider a defense/stam gem in the helm (since you'd only lose 3 stam and gain crit immunity+some avoidance).

I have the pvp enchant on my shoulders, so with the 15 resilence isn't 536 defense rating still crit immune? I swapped out the chant on my shield to stay at 536.

Yes, 536 is good with the resil. Ion just didn't notice the shoulder 'chant. You only need 535 defense in heroics anyways.

If you look at my tanking experience it is basically up to heroics and that is it. I have only been in nax and voa once each, and in both of those cases it was limited.

I think I need to just jump into the deep end and see what happens. Its just hard to break into raiding if you are a first time tank. And that's like the first question pugs ask is have you done X before. And that usually ends the conversation.

I know what the defense rating is for heroics. Is there a higher requirement elswhere?

Yeah, experience is a good quality for tanks, but everyone has to start somewhere. Just keep networking, trying to get into pug and don't get discouraged.

Bosses in heroic dungeons are equated to level 82, so you need 535 defense (less with your shoulder enchant) to push crits off the table. For raid bosses, you need more. They are lvl 83, so that pushes the defense minimum up to 540, however with your shoulder enchant, you're covered at 536.

My advice is just to be up-front, say "I've never been here, but I've watched the videos on Tankspot and understand my class" and see how they react. If they want to be GS-tards or say "no achiev no inv", that's fine. But I think you'd be surprised how many people are willing to give you a shot if you come off as intelligent and capable.

I will give it a try and see what happens. I know I keep extending this thread, but it is helping me a lot.

Is there an add on that help you see when you have debuffs being stacked on you by a boss? The tiny little icons that are on the conventional UI are tough to see. And they blend in with all the other ones. This is one issue I seem to have when tanking with someone else. I'm having a tough time knowing when to taunt off the other tank when they don't have vent.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Elkhano's Buff Bars or Satrina's Buff Bars should do the trick for that.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I like Satrina's better. Its good because it also lets you put your survival cooldowns front and center so you know what's going on. Elkhano's does this too, I just found Satrina's to be a better method of display.

+ Reply to Thread