+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP! My UI is drowning me!

HELP! My UI is drowning me!

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/Picture3.png

My UI is fine for 10 mans but in 25 mans it becomes a MESS.

The combat text covers up Healbot and DBM. I can never see where Im going because my Healbot eats up my screen. I cant find a good place for Skada. When I set a Focus, I cant find a good place for that either. I sometimes cant click my Healbot when a DBM warning comes up.

It's a monster.

If anyone has any suggestions to help clean it up and make it so I can finally see my screen again, that would much appreciated.

(Also if anyone can suggest an addon or two that would benefit a resto druid or shaman that would help)

Turn scrolling combat text COMPLETELY OFF. Healbot shows all the information you need. Combat text is a terrible idea, especially if your UI is overwhelming you, it's typically the worst offender.

Turn party frames off when you're in a raid--there's an option for it under Interface > Unit Frames.

Move healbot over to either side; generally I like to put it on my left side so that the very left bars are right next to my character, so I can see whether I'm in the fire or not.

Healbot has many quick skins options, including one called "Raid" which has smaller bars better designed for 25m raiding. You can also manually resize the bars, the icon display size, whether you display pets etc.

Use TukUI (.org) combined with healbot .... works perfect on my druid even on 40man

pretty much looks like you just added a bunch of addons without figuring out how to fit them together.

i would point you to the sticky on top of this forum - what to aim for....
    or suggest that you start with one of the compilations ( form this site, wow.interface, or others) play with it, than slowly make it your own by replacing addons, setting, graphics.

Tukui is a good place to start. (he has his own web site.) or right now i'm a big fan of lui ui, can be found on wow.interface.

Doc.

I'd love to help your UI but my eyes are busy bleeding o.0

Go dig up a UI design thread and peruse it. There should be one in the forums.

Looks like you could shrink most everything. Try turning down your UI scale and see if that helps. If possible playing at a higher resolution will give you more screen real-estate to work with too.

I agree with turning down your UI scale, but if that's not viable...

Do you need to see skada during the combat? if not, you can minimize that and free up some screen space.

Have you thought about moving healbot lower? You seem to have enough space below it to shift it down completely, which would free up the center of your screen as well as prevent DBM from overlapping healbot.

one thing i would highly suggest is getting any addon that can make viewports, like i think the one i use is skinner, really helps free up some space that is purely for ui elements

on another note, that guy tequilaworm has an AWESOME name, i wish i had thought of that (eating the worm ftw)
    Dont do drugs, they're bad. Why are they bad? because they are. shutup.

you could also replace DBM with dues vox which allows you to move your warning where you would like them on your screen.

Yikes.

* Move your healing frames off to the side
    * turn off the healing frame tool tips
    * Recount doesn't need to be open during a fight
    * Use a mod like bartender to tidy up your action bars, make them more compact
    * Turn off party frames (on the left)
    * Use a mod like Satrina's Buff Frames to make your buff bar more compact
    * turn off scrolling combat text. if you need to track cooldowns, use something less cluttery like classtimers or power auras.
    * Move the DBM timers to a better location after doing the above
    * Turn off the error frame ("spell is not ready yet" spam). There are a few mods that do that.

Quote Originally Posted by goose View Post
    you could also replace DBM with dues vox which allows you to move your warning where you would like them on your screen.
    DBM does this as well.

I erased some of the information that you don't need infight. As you can see you have now plenty of space for vital information such as the raid-frame and the boss mod.

And you actual can see your avatar again.

Find some addons and ui-options to shut down the unneeded information and slide the needed information to a better place so you can actually see them.

Maybe something like this. It looks almost like my own ui.

Last edited by Scyla; 08-19-2010 at 04:07 AM.
    Wer reitet so spät durch Nacht und Wind?
    Es ist der Kodo mit seinem Rind.

Your biggest problem is that your raid frames are taking up ALOT of your visible space; either change the size to squares (if that's possible) or switch to grid. Small raid frames will make your UI feel less like it fell out of a blender.

this is an attempt at a UI, I had to tweak it loads till i was actually happy with it:http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...NoViewPort.jpg

The raid frames extend down to give you an idea of how far it covers.

Ok so; what helps? buff bar mods (like Satrina buff frames or elkano buff bars) mean you can resize and reposition buffs and debuffs. Bar mods like dominos and bartender allow you to reorganise where the bar space is and gets rid of the artwork(but this isn't a majore improvement although it can help!).

Now I ended up ditching alot of addons in that screenshot and obviously alot of fine detail is not shown from the screenshot. It isn't the best UI but the character is visible.

As for combat text it takes a bit of configuration to get it to be useful. I actually find scrolling combat text distracting and disabled it, true stuff like x debuff on you helps loads but I don't need to know alot of information, you may like the information but as a healer I don't really need to see the healing I do, likewise as a DPS recount would give me a far better estimate of if things were wrong. Instead I used the spare space for boss mod warnings, which for the most part are more important. I won't say it's right to say the combatlog or combat text is bad but i will say it isn't 100% needed.

You should really edit out someone's real name before posting a screen cap, fyi.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Think others have made this comment: no need to have your party frames on during raid environment. Just use your raid frames and remove party frames when raiding. A bar mod (such as Bartender, which is what I use) would save you lots of real estate in your bars. The default bar frames are rather clunky and take up more space than needed.

+ Reply to Thread