Closed Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: defence support thresholds

Quote Originally Posted by santoro2984 View Post
    i am working on a phd in phyisics and statistics. exponential growth is somthing i can explain for you perhaps if you think it will improve your understanding of the machanic, but this has to be the lest expected approach to a base line stat i could ever immagine
    Aww, you had to go ruin it. Now I expect you to follow the math flawlessly. I need to somehow introduce Stoke's theorem into this discussion to really piss off people. If you can explain the answer to Fermat's Last Theorem and have everybody understand it, I will be duly impressed and appeased.

The answer to the exponential relationship for a base stat is quite simple if viewed in context of a touchy-feely game. As people progress, they want to feel more powerful, so they kept on making gear with MORE stats on it )"Wow, in vanilla i had like 20 stamina on a piece of raid gear. Now in WOTLK I have like 200 stamina on gear! AWESOMESAUCE!"). Unfortunately, if they scaled the challenge accordingly, too many people wouldn't clear the content. So the answer is to give people all the stats they want and then have exponential erosion of its value, without the average Schmuck wow player realizing this. A linear progression would have lead to very predictable and boring increases.

Unfortunately, this policy has caught up with blizzard. They tried to reset things between expansions, but in every case they actually made things worse. So they will have to take the ultimate step to correct, which is burn the entire system to the ground and start completely from scratch in cataclysm, which is what they are trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    Warrior. No armory link posted, but I found him. >.> <.<
    Gotcha. In that case, pugging heroics ss fairly easy to explain. Throw on DPS gear everywhere you can for pre-ICC5 heroics. Stay crit immune. When asked about it point out that as a warrior you must either:
    A) Deal damage; or
    B) Take damage
    to gain rage. Since you are ICC geared, you wouldn't be generating enough rage to maintain threat. By throwing on DPS gear and staying crit immune you'll generate enough rage to keep the baddies off the rest of the group.

If they have a problem with that, ask them if they'd like to tank and let you DPS.

Really, if it's anything before H ToC5, you can Fury Tank it with the same effect with a halfway comptent healer. In my Fury spec I'm only slightly behind in armor and way above in HP where I was when I first started tanking (successfully) UK, UP, and Nexus. Add in bloodthirst for some self-healing and the only issue is crits, but even those are rare given the fights last ~25 seconds and I can even take those better than when I was starting to tank due to the much larger HP pool.

For guild apps, as part of your app proactively explain why you gem/enchant/gear the way you do, even though it's not ideal, it's for a reason. Be proactive about it, don't bother waiting for them to ask you, especially if it's a guild raiding above your current tier.

You'll show them you understand the game and what is best, but also that you're willing to adjust to the situation as it is. Also make it clear you'll regem/re-enchant if in a raid situation you don't need to worry about clueless DPS going full out and not bothering with threat management.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    Aww, you had to go ruin it. Now I expect you to follow the math flawlessly. I need to somehow introduce Stoke's theorem into this discussion to really piss off people. If you can explain the answer to Fermat's Last Theorem and have everybody understand it, I will be duly impressed and appeased.

The answer to the exponential relationship for a base stat is quite simple if viewed in context of a touchy-feely game. As people progress, they want to feel more powerful, so they kept on making gear with MORE stats on it )"Wow, in vanilla i had like 20 stamina on a piece of raid gear. Now in WOTLK I have like 200 stamina on gear! AWESOMESAUCE!"). Unfortunately, if they scaled the challenge accordingly, too many people wouldn't clear the content. So the answer is to give people all the stats they want and then have exponential erosion of its value, without the average Schmuck wow player realizing this. A linear progression would have lead to very predictable and boring increases.

Unfortunately, this policy has caught up with blizzard. They tried to reset things between expansions, but in every case they actually made things worse. So they will have to take the ultimate step to correct, which is burn the entire system to the ground and start completely from scratch in cataclysm, which is what they are trying to do.

PFFFFFT.. i said iw as working on it. and i could better explain exponential growth. but i will do my best to impress.. give me a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    If there was an amory link before I missed it, are you a warrior, pally, or DK?

armory-http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Windrunner&cn=Miahalenge

Off topic - who are you people? tankspot admin? members of premonition? blizz spys? obama spys? i need information

We could tell you, but then we would have to have CGFs hack your account and leave your toons in pink dresses and bunny ears.

<or, you could look at profiles and other bits of info>

People in Dark Blue names (such as myself) are donors to the site.
    People in Green lettering are Community Authors, honoured as folks who write stuff that is generally credible content. Aggathon is a recent addition to that odd bunch.
    People with Magenta names have administrative powers. You saw Kaze earlier. Piss them off at your own risk, and expect a ban afterwards.
    If you see a name with Red writing, tremble in fear, mortal. They are gods. Ciderhelm is foremost amongst them.

Incidentally, you will see elements of Tankspot in WoW. Satrina (of http://www.wowhead.com/item=47080 fame) is an honoured member of Tankspot.

http://epicadvice.com/questions/5622...theorycrafters

Last edited by Insahnity; 08-16-2010 at 03:36 PM.

I ban assholes.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

You can tell how dangerous they are by the color of their names :P. Kaze is pretty damn dangerous. My name is not a dangerous color. It just means that I paid money to the site so I could look at scantily clad women in the forums and download raid videos from the site.

Edit: Actually some of the people that contribute are from Premonition, namely Xav. I haven't seen him in here though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    I ban assholes.
    i figured that much, you said somthing about locking the post at one point.. got me thinking

Kaz = Teh Banhammer

The rest of us? Just members with low-stress jobs?

Dark Blues - Donors to the site
    Light Blues - Regular members
    Greens - Tankspot writers (members who make awesome guides/posts)

Some of the posters are better at math than others, but for the most part we all understand it.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Petninja View Post
    You can tell how dangerous they are by the color of their names :P. Kaze is pretty damn dangerous. My name is not a dangerous color. It just means that I paid money to the site so I could look at scantily clad women in the forums and download raid videos from the site.

Edit: Actually some of the people that contribute are from Premonition, namely Xav. I haven't seen him in here though.
    i also am not fimilar with teh color key, but dose this mean insahnity is slightly above or below kaz in terms of the forum chain of command

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    Kaz = Teh Banhammer

The rest of us? Just members with low-stress jobs?

Dark Blues - Donors to the site
    Light Blues - Regular members
    Greens - Tankspot writers (members who make awesome guides/posts)

Some of the posters are better at math than others, but for the most part we all understand it.

though ive always been a fan of kaz the awsome, im begining to grow fearfull

It basically goes like this: Red -> Purple -> Everyone else.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

i am working on a phd in phyisics and statistics. exponential growth is somthing i can explain for you perhaps if you think it will improve your understanding of the machanic, but this has to be the lest expected approach to a base line stat i could ever immagine
    You ... what?

No.

Not a believable statement.

There's no possible way that that statement has even a passing familiarity with the reality in which I reside.

If it IS true, you're trolling because there's no possible way you could be working on a PhD dissertation with your...tenuous...grasp of communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    I ban assholes.
    Ban yourself stinky one! >.>

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    You ... what?

No.

Not a believable statement.

There's no possible way that that statement has even a passing familiarity with the reality in which I reside.

If it IS true, you're trolling because there's no possible way you could be working on a PhD dissertation with your...tenuous...grasp of communication.

true story, im 26, live in nyc, work for a private RIT ( realestate investment trust) have a 4 yr degree which has done absolutly zero for me in life, and am almost done with my mba. after that im torn between CFA and nasa rocket chemist (sarcasim). its a slow process, but truth. my poor communication my stem from bad typing , lack of time spent on wow machanics compared to the rest of the crowd, or the fact ive been obligated to practice perfect communication with very undisirable people because they have money since im about 17. Im a closet wow player.

NYU and columbia are a real possibility for me at the moment. as specially since i arranged the financing for the latest dorm facilities of both unerversities

i also am not fimilar with teh color key, but dose this mean insahnity is slightly above or below kaz in terms of the forum chain of command
    Bwahahaha.

*wipes a tear from my face, giggling*

I edited my post just before this with a colour guide.

Everybody who is not light blue also has special access to other areas. Check out shoutbox. (off the main page for Tankspot's Forum page). it's a window of site activity.

Don't fall for the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    Don't fall for the bait.
    ...... ?

We can be a bit eccentric around here.

Closed Thread