+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gear, where to go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by pinnacle2009 View Post
    I am not sure if I used the right rotation again. I have them set up on my action bar correctly. Just not totally sure if I am doing it right yet..
    You're not.

You have repeating patterns of:

[12:07:06.473] Logikal casts Judgement of Wisdom on Lord Marrowgar
    [12:07:08.135] Logikal casts Shield of Righteousness on Lord Marrowgar
    [12:07:09.799] Logikal casts Holy Shield
    [12:07:11.374] Logikal casts Hammer of the Righteous on Lord Marrowgar
    [12:07:13.099] Logikal casts Consecration
    [12:07:14.713] Logikal casts Judgement of Wisdom on Lord Marrowgar
    [12:07:16.582] Logikal casts Shield of Righteousness on Lord Marrowgar
    [12:07:17.978] Logikal casts Holy Shield
    [12:07:19.775] Logikal casts Hammer of the Righteous on Lord Marrowgar
    [12:07:21.422] Logikal casts Consecration
    [12:07:22.978] Logikal casts Judgement of Wisdom on Lord Marrowgar

You're doing 9696996, not 969. I don't know how to state it other than alternate a 6 second cooldown with a 9 second cooldown. ShoR and HotR are 6s. Cons, Judgement and HS are 9s. Never cast two 6s back to back (except maybe on the pull for solid snap aggro, but that's more advanced than where you are just now). Never cast two 9s back to back. If you're going it correctly, you use every GCD seamlessly and are never waiting on a cooldown. Never "go back to the beginning" - it doesn't work that way. There is no beginning.

That sequence should have been J, ShoR, HS, HotR, Cons, ShoR. You had ShoR available but pressed Judgement instead, pushing back the effective cooldown on your highest/second highest (depends on stats, haven't checked yours) ability, and hence doing lower threat and DPS. You want your rotation to look like this:

[18:27:57.430] Lumines casts Hammer of the Righteous on Lord Marrowgar
    [18:27:59.115] Lumines casts Judgement of Wisdom on Lord Marrowgar
    [18:28:00.531] Lumines casts Shield of Righteousness on Lord Marrowgar
    [18:28:02.011] Lumines casts Consecration
    [18:28:03.772] Lumines casts Hammer of the Righteous on Lord Marrowgar
    [18:28:05.234] Lumines casts Holy Shield
    [18:28:06.922] Lumines casts Shield of Righteousness on Lord Marrowgar
    [18:28:08.447] Lumines casts Judgement of Wisdom on Lord Marrowgar
    [18:28:10.043] Lumines casts Hammer of the Righteous on Lord Marrowgar
    [18:28:11.682] Lumines casts Consecration
    [18:28:13.069] Lumines casts Shield of Righteousness on Lord Marrowgar
    [18:28:14.621] Lumines casts Holy Shield
    [18:28:16.246] Lumines casts Hammer of the Righteous on Lord Marrowgar
    [18:28:17.975] Lumines casts Judgement of Wisdom on Lord Marrowgar
    [18:28:19.403] Lumines casts Shield of Righteousness on Lord Marrowgar
    [18:28:20.963] Lumines casts Consecration

Except preferably without the ~6.2 seconds between HotR and ShoR casts (wireless and lag induced). EDIT to clarify - I have gaps of 6.2s where the lag-free, human error-free space would be 6s. My gap between subsequent abilities is ~1.7s where, again, you'd prefer 1.5s.
    Last edited by Lumines; 08-23-2010 at 03:45 AM.

Ohhhhhhkay. I know exactly how I can fix that. That seems like an improvement from before but yea lol

I'll just add a 2nd SHoR to the action bar and see if that fixes it.

oh, how do you get to that info in worldoflogs? Every time I look I just can't find it. I just think from this point on I should be checking the rotation myself instead of coming on here everytime I get a new log lol

It is unlikely adding a 2nd ShoR will help you. 969 repeats itself over 12 GCDS/18 secs, with 3 ShoR, 3 HotR, 2 Conc, 2 HS and 2 Judgements being cast.

This video may be useful - Protection Paladin TPS / DPS Tanking Rotation 969. In that setup the 6s are separated from the 9s. Another simple option is to have the 6s on the bar above the 9s.

Would making a macro work? One that casts SHoR if HoR is on cooldown and vice versa.

I'll just add a 2nd SHoR to the action bar and see if that fixes it.
    I might be way off, but that suggests to me that you're putting them on so you can click them in order? That's a band-aid fix (what goes after ShoR in that case? Think about that and you'll see why it doesn't fix your problem). You should really get used to keybinds for a long term solution. What Lythac said, basically.

oh, how do you get to that info in worldoflogs?
    From the top menu, Full Report --> Kills --> pick a fight you're interested in. Marrowgar, Saurfang, Festergut, Rotface (if you're on the boss), Blood Princes (if you're not on Keleseth), Blood Queen etc. have periods in which you're standing still and just churning through your rotation.

From there, Dashboard (on the top menu) --> Log Browser.

Remove the initial query, click "Add Query". You want to check "Spell cast" and add your character's name in "Source".

(Alternatively, add "Hammer of the Righteous" to the "Spell" box to see what the gap between HotRs is).

Click "Save", and then "Run". Voila.

Would making a macro work? One that casts SHoR if HoR is on cooldown and vice versa.
    You could do this with a /castsequence macro. But I really wouldn't, because it's a poor substitute for simply learning your rotation. It's 5 abilities, the order of which are set in stone after you do the first 4. After that point you just use the one (the only one) that's off cooldown. It isn't complicated, and doing it correctly for a short while with decent keybinds will leave you able to tank through muscle memory. Macroing your rotation can work well as long as it's not a substitute for not knowing what to do in the first place (and as long as you have resets or modifiers in there so you can choose what to cast - e.g. Blood Queen has gone up to air phase, or has buggered off across the room to bite someone; you have to be able to adapt to those situations).

As Harm pointed out the only way to get into keybinding is to dive in at this point.
    Some helpful setups might be putting your 9's on the scroll up and down of your mouse. Change zoom in zoom out to page up page down . click the chat log buttons if ya need to scroll it.
    Q E Z V B ~ X are all very very close to your movement keys and nothing that cant be moved around
    Side Buttons on your mouse if you have a 5 button mouse. If you dont have a 5 button mouse i highly recommend one.

Find some commonality between characters if you play alts to make key binding easier.
    Charge on a warrior turns into blink on a mage
    Counter spell on the mage turns into kick on the rogue
    Gouge on the rogue turns into Hammer of judgment
    Consecrate on the pally turns into Death and Decay on the DK
    etc etc etc..
    Same keys across my characters help
    Pallys have 2 taunts So Consider a Shift modifier lets say Q = Single taunt Shift Q = multi taunt

In the end it takes awhile to get used to keybinds but they are very much worth it at the end of the day. Do what you are comfortable with. but clicking takes you out of the moment, looking all round you instead of at your hotbars is so much more fun and worth the trouble.
    I do not play a pally but ill give you my warriors set up
    Q= Taunt
    E= Shield Bash
    Z= Charge/Intercept/Intervene cast sequence macro + friendly target for intervene
    V= Cleave
    B= Bloodrage / Zerker rage cast sequence macro
    ~= Shield wall
    X= Last Stand
    Side mouse 1 = Auto run Sorry 2 button mouse run sucks for me but still use it from time to time
    Side mouse 2 = Thunderclap
    Shift+Side mouse 2 = Demo Shout
    Scroll up = Concussion Blow
    Scroll down= Spell Reflect or Relevant trinket / Sometimes Rend
    Center Mouse = Push to talk

For gunship i usually drop health stone off my bars stick shield bash over there and put Jet pack on my interrupt key as there is nothing to interrupt on that fight.

Its well worth the trouble, but it is a hassle. And nothing says you cant keep them on your bars and key bind around them, you may find moving key bound stuff off the 1 2 3 4 5 6 keys helpful though.
    Last edited by Glorc; 08-23-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumines View Post
    I might be way off, but that suggests to me that you're putting them on so you can click them in order? That's a band-aid fix (what goes after ShoR in that case? Think about that and you'll see why it doesn't fix your problem). You should really get used to keybinds for a long term solution. What Lythac said, basically.
    Not to click, just as a visual.

I've got the keybindings down I believe. The way I did it was I replaced movement from my keyboard almost entirely. The only thing I do on my keyboard that involves moving is to back up. I move completely with the mouse. My two side buttons are strafe.

I am using Q, W, E, A, S, D, ~, 1, Z, and X with spells. V is what I use to move backwards with. So far, I have found I don't need anything more with my pally. I also have my taunt on middle mouse click and DP and AW on the wheel turns.

At first I thought this setup would restrict me in PvP, but from I've noticed, its helped quite a bit.

+ Reply to Thread