+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pally Tank Weapon Enchant

Pally Tank Weapon Enchant

I recently won bonebreaker sceptor and i was wondering what enchant would be best for me. Im a 2600 gs os prot pally. Thanks

None of them are really outstanding.

Mongoose - nice mix of threat, avoidance, and a little armor

Blood Draining - best for pure survival

Accuracy - best for pure threat (assuming you're not already hitcapped)

Blade Ward - like Mongoose, but crappy

For an Off-Spec Paladin: Mongoose or Accuracy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

If you need hit, grab accuracy.
    Otherwise, flip a coin between mongoose and blood draining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Put blood draining on it and use it for any fight where you fear you might die (before it's already a wipe). The enchant is not really that useful - sadly none of them are - but there may come a day when it saves you and the raid.

Save accuracy for a slow dps weapon (like blood venom blade or the battered hilt one) to use in your threat set. With the ICC buff, that's the weapon I use for 90% of the fights.

Pffftt... you pick between red glow and blue lightning!
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    If you need hit, grab accuracy.
    What IS the hit rating requirement for a paladin/warrior tank these days? I admit that's the one thing to which I've not payed a ton of attention while attempting to gear up on my pally, I think she has 280 or so.
    And I don't know who I am, But life is for learning
    We are stardust, we are golden, We are billion year old carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve View Post
    What IS the hit rating requirement for a paladin/warrior tank these days? I admit that's the one thing to which I've not payed a ton of attention while attempting to gear up on my pally, I think she has 280 or so.
    On any "non-farm" boss, Hit cap is of little importance. If you have any concern that the boss you are about to tank can kill you while everyone is still doing their job well, hit and expertise should be the last stats on your mind. Your gear, gems, enchants etc. should all be tailored towards max survivability, which most would say means gearing for EH.

For all those bosses that you outgear or have no chance of dying to, gear however you want. You can hit cap at 264 hit rating, or expertise cap at 26 skill to eliminate dodges and ~55 (i think, someone will correct me) to remove parries since you are "dpsing" from the front. Those numbers are for a lvl 83 raid boss.

Honesly, there is no point to gearing/gemming for hit or expertise. While capped on hit and expertise, executing a good rotation, you'll be miles ahead of dps on theat. Or, you could be severly lacking in both hit and expertise, still be executing a good rotation and you'll still be miles ahead on threat, just not quite as far ahead. If you're miles ahead either way, what's the diff? Now, if you're low on hit/expertise, executing a sloppy rotation, and sucking on threat, gearing/gemming for hit and expertise isn't going to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Akeber View Post
    On any "non-farm" boss, Hit cap is of little importance. If you have any concern that the boss you are about to tank can kill you while everyone is still doing their job well, hit and expertise should be the last stats on your mind. Your gear, gems, enchants etc. should all be tailored towards max survivability, which most would say means gearing for EH.

For all those bosses that you outgear or have no chance of dying to, gear however you want. You can hit cap at 264 hit rating, or expertise cap at 26 skill to eliminate dodges and ~55 (i think, someone will correct me) to remove parries since you are "dpsing" from the front. Those numbers are for a lvl 83 raid boss.

Honesly, there is no point to gearing/gemming for hit or expertise. While capped on hit and expertise, executing a good rotation, you'll be miles ahead of dps on theat. Or, you could be severly lacking in both hit and expertise, still be executing a good rotation and you'll still be miles ahead on threat, just not quite as far ahead. If you're miles ahead either way, what's the diff? Now, if you're low on hit/expertise, executing a sloppy rotation, and sucking on threat, gearing/gemming for hit and expertise isn't going to help.
    Thanks for the answer!
    Not planning on gearing or gemming specifically to either. All my gems and enchants are for max survivability, and I made sure to level a JC as well in order to make my +20 stams. However, my concern was threat when being SEVERELY undergeared compared to the dps, as a string of misses can screw with aggro when it happens at the first of the fight. Not that that has happened, necessarily, I am simply paranoid and want to make sure I've done everything I can to pad myself against my notoriously bad luck! That, and I often have flashbacks to TBC and forget how much things have changed, as it has been a while since I've played regularly.

Thanks for the help.
    And I don't know who I am, But life is for learning
    We are stardust, we are golden, We are billion year old carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve View Post
    There's two ways to go, basically.
    The first is to consider hit a pure threat stat - only get it when you need more threat and ignore it otherwise. This basically means completely ignoring it, since survival is far more important to a tank.
    The second is to get enough for your taunts to always hit, and consider it a pure threat stat after that. Taunts are spells, so you need a grand total of 17% spell hit for that. The glyph is 8%, there's a debuff that grants another 3%, so that leaves only 6%, which is about 160 rating. (Draenei reduce it even further, of course.)

I think being at the taunt hit cap is very important. A missed taunt can wipe a raid, so I don't want that to happen. Do consider, though, that the chances of both our taunts missing when a little under the taunt hit cap are quite small - even if your taunts miss 5% of the time, the chance of both of them missing is 0.25%. To me, that's generally too big a risk to run, but you have to make your own decision there.

Blood-Draining is more of a warrior/bear tank enchant then for paladins. Blade Ward is just a terrible enchant all around(The uptime is awful). Accurancy is good until hit cap but if you are hitcapped it has little use.

I swear by Mongoose. A little bit of armor, little bit of threat, a little bit of dodge- youre set

Blood-Draining is more of a warrior/bear tank enchant then for paladins. Blade Ward is just a terrible enchant all around(The uptime is awful). Accurancy is good until hit cap but if you are hitcapped it has little use.

I swear by Mongoose. A little bit of armor, little bit of threat, a little bit of dodge- youre set
    Actually blood-draining is good on Warriors and Paladins. I don't know why you would think it's better for bears or warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    ... there's a debuff that grants another 3%, ...
    Just out of interest, what is the debuff? It sounds like a good one to have.

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    Pffftt... you pick between red glow and blue lightning!
    In this case, the red glow looks very awesome on the red mace.

Quote Originally Posted by theodisius View Post
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=33602/improved-faerie-fire
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=33193

Quote Originally Posted by theodisius View Post
    Misery from a Shadow Priest, or Improved Faerie Fire from a Critchicken.

Actually blood-draining is good on Warriors and Paladins. I don't know why you would think it's better for bears or warriors.
    Sometimes people think that you need to apply bleeds to the target in order for Blood Draining to do anything. This isn't true, and it's just as helpful for a Paladin as it is for other classes.

Re: Pally Tank Weapon Enchant

I stand by Mongoose all the way.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

When your serious Mongoose or blood-draining

I am with mellvar you put the colour of choice :-)

I have my random facelifter weapon I pull out regually to stir guild with beastslayer chant on it best red glow ever I used to have berserker on it but the glow is pretty ho hum.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

fortunately for tanks teh two biggest tank n spanks - fester and blood queen have fight mechanics which help with the tanks threat.. so survivability there is key. Fights like marrow.. to many times have i seen a dps threat get to high and next thing 6 ppl are dead from being cleaved. There is no point stam stacking if you cant hold threat, you may not die, but the boom chicken or fire mage or warlock who just pulled aggro did. IMO sindra is the worst fight for tank threat, so for that fight i would be swapping in some more pieces for threat to deal with the attack slowing debuff.

Glyph seal of vengeance, expertise counts as mitigation and threat.. hitting more.. bosses parry less means you take less dmg as well.

Ive been using blad ward but seriously considering using mongoose as i rarely see the enchant proc at all

Glyph seal of vengeance, expertise counts as mitigation and threat.. hitting more.. bosses parry less means you take less dmg as well.
    I believe there is all of 2 bosses in ICC with parry haste enabled, Sindragosa being one of them.

+ Reply to Thread