+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Protribution PVP

Protribution PVP

Is Prot better than ret.... most people say prot is better but ret seems funner looking.

Prot does more damage than Ret.
    Ret has more utility.

Ret is still fine to play.

Lol i tried prot this morning, its so beast, it has the damage of ret with much more, try it

Quote Originally Posted by pallyboi View Post
    Lol i tried prot this morning, its so beast, it has the damage of ret with much more, try it
    What are you hitting with, like what's your rotation?
    2H or 1H + Shield?

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwidin View Post
    What are you hitting with, like what's your rotation?
    2H or 1H + Shield?
    protribution is 1H + Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

I've recently switched to prot PVP (from ret PVP) for my offspec and it's pretty good. Damage is less than ret, but much more survivability. I fought 2 warriors and 1 rogue (twice) in warsong gulch and both times I managed to kill one of them from full hp. I'm liking it so far, but still working on a good offensive rotation...

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    my friend crits for like 10ks as prot PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

I'm sure I could probably find this with a little research when I get home from work but is there maybe a standard protribution spec? I'd be interested in trying it out just for something different. I'm guessing I'd wear my normal ret pvp gear except use my 1H & shield?

Quote Originally Posted by 2Hit6 View Post
    Damage is less than ret
    You should be doing tons more damage as prot compared to ret.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    You should be doing tons more damage as prot compared to ret.
    Really? Maybe I have a crappy rotation right now... Do you have tips/suggestions on what my rotation should be like? With Ret PVP I was consistently topping the damage charts on arena 5's, but right now I'm more like....top 3 or top 4 in terms of damage...

Also, should I be using a rogue 1-hander sword/axe for the time being while I don't have my Wrathful weapons yet?

Slow one-hander + shield should be your weapons choice.

As far as rotation goes, there isn't really one as far as I know, it's a bit like Ret, you use what you have.

I use both Prot and Ret in pvp, it all depends on your comp as to what will work the best, if you are just BG HK farming Ret is waaay better due to long range stun and better mana conservation. However if you are doing arena matches and mana is not an issue, you WILL have more survivability as prot. You also have an extra ranged attack that can hit pretty damn hard. Usually If you are 2v2 2Dps Prot is unnecessary because you will have huge burst damage in ret (assuming you can face roll hard). The burst is still there in prot, it just a little different burst, the super short CD on your Hammer is very nice. And the ranged attack with avengers shield, Glyphed out mine hits for 10k somtimes more. Its pretty fun to take a mage from full to 30% with that =P

But really its personal choice and what situation you find yourself in. I dont think its great for BG's tho.

I bg as protribution. All the pvp I can get, my arena partners comp blew up on her. So yeah, stuck doing bgs till she gets it fixed.

Anyway they see a paladin, and they always expect ret. I have found the key to being able to pvp as protribution is lining up cds. Frost mages/locks give me the most trouble. What I do is lead in with shield from distance. We have no closer so you better get there quick. Your JoJ has a 10 yard range. That only keeps them at 100% speed though so you better stay on them.

There is no "rotation" I like to start from range with the following.
    as-dp-joj-stun-silence-hotr-

that will get you into melee range and leave them with a dot ticking etc. From here you will want to throw up your holy shield if they are melee, if not ignore it. You will also want to throw up your ss at some point. Probably right after hotr. Now that works for me, doesn't mean it will work for everyone. With ret it's a fcfs basis, but that isn't the case with protribution. Your stun will come off cd way before your as. Unless you absolutely need it though save it. You really don't want to get into dr with stuns when you can wait a little longer then do a full aw-as(silence)-hotr-joj-stun-sotr That lined up will be a good amount of damage really quick. The problem with the entire paladin class imo is if that little burst doesn't finish them you don't have much else to use. You are on your 2 min cd, your shield is on 30 sec cd,

One big thing for me that helped was skipping out on the resilience trinket and going with the crit one from wintergrasp. I have 1 of each, but the crit bonus helps. You WILL need that trinkets effect too. Right now my pvp set still has some 10str 10 resilience gems, I am trading thise for 10 str 10 crit. I think an ideal place for me is 1k resilience and 35 to 40% crit. Right now I am at 1100 resilience, and 35% crit. I can take a ton of damage, I can do a fair amount, but getting rid of 100 resilience for an extra 3 to 5% crit is a very good trade off.

Again what I have said works for me, it probably won't work for everyone. Also I like the 232 mace from heroic hor.

I prob would switch to prot for pvp full time if i had more mana or if there was a solution for going oom every kill... i keep going back and forth from ret and prot but i still cant make up my mind. >< they are both really good for what they are...

~Neo
    "Im a little paladin, short and stout. Heres my hammer heres my mount. When i see a battle i bubble and hearth right out!"

Prot has an undispellable Divine Plea, how do you go oom?

/agree I role as prot pally... so farm wintergrasp is my thing, killing alli as a prot pally is easy for me. Can usually take 2-3 at a time and thats in PvE gear!

+ Reply to Thread