+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glove Enchant - Which gives more EHP

Glove Enchant - Which gives more EHP

So i stumbled across the 240 Armor Enchant for gloves from TBC while leveling Leatherworking and really made me think about which glove enchant is better. The 18 Stamina or the 240 Armor.

So i used the values given in Aggathons "Why we do what we do" thread to try and work it out for myself. I would like someone to check my values as i might have gone wrong somewhere. I used the stats of my own character, which is a paladin so this is more relevent for paladins and warriors than bears and DK's.

I changed Aggathon's 1.15 as that was for 15% ICC buff which we are now at 30% so should now be 1.30 if i'm correct

Health = Stam * 10 * 1.1 * 1.09 * 1.30
    K = 16635
    M = A/(A + K)
    EHP = Hit points/(1-%reduction)

These are what i took from Aggathon's thread and then i applied it to each glove enchant accordingly
    Now for the Math.

With 18 stam glove enchant (Heavy Borean Armor Kit)

Health = 4139 (Stam) * 10 * 1.1 * 1.09 * 1.30
    Health = 64514 Armor = 33429
    A/(A + K) = 33429/(33429 + 16635) = 0.6677 (4DP)
    EHP = Hit Points/(1 - %reduction) = 64514/(1 - 0.6677) = 194143.8459
    EHP= 194144 (NWN)

With 240 Armor (Glove Reinforcements)

Health = 4121 (Stam) * 10 * 1.1 * 1.09 * 1.30
    Health = 64234 Armor = 33669
    A/(A + K) = 33669/(33669 + 16635) = 0.6693 (4DP)
    EHP = Hit Points/(1 - %reduction) = 64234/(1-0.6693) = 194236.4681
    EHP = 194236 (NWN)

194236 being a bigger number than 194144 suggests that the second is best

Main question is my math correct? which would then mean the 240 armor enchant is slightly better or have i missed something which makes the 18 stamina better

Your math looks spot on to me. 240 armor to gloves is technically better for EHP. A lot of people prefer the 18 stam though because stam can be used in all situations regardless of incoming damage. I consider them roughly even and it comes down to personal preference. If I wasn't an engineer I would have used 240 armor, a lot of people just prefer 18 stam though.

Oh and just a side note, make sure to include warrior (or pally if you're a pally) base health in your equation for how many HPs you have...
    I really should put that spreadsheet back up... volunteers on who wants to fix it for me 'cuz I'm lazy! =P

An easier approximation when comparing gear is that 11 armor is ~ 1 stam worth of EHP.

So... 240/11 = 21.8 vs. 18.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

For plate wearer's the armor is slightly better, but on my druid specifically the EHP is almost dead even and thus stamina wins for magic reasons. My plate wearer is also an engineer so armor webbing wins.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

For pure EH stamina usually wins since it's applicable for all situations. Keep in mind that armor isn't just about EH, and reducing incoming damage has some nice effects aside from how much damage you can take without a single heal. Armor really is undervalued in EH, to be honest.

I agree with felhoof, which is why I would generally choose armor over stam for roughly equal values of EH =P. Armor also increases EHPS or Effective Healing Per Second.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by felhoof View Post
    For pure EH stamina usually wins since it's applicable for all situations. Keep in mind that armor isn't just about EH, and reducing incoming damage has some nice effects aside from how much damage you can take without a single heal. Armor really is undervalued in EH, to be honest.
    Actually by definition EH is in fact how much damage you can take without a single heal and neither armor nor stamina are undervalued in any way in this calculation, they are in fact both of paramount importance in it. My only point is that for most plate wearers roughly 11 armor ~ 1 stamina when it comes to EH equivalence (this means 11 armor and 1 stamina will increase EH and/or TTL by precisely the same amount). That number does vary depending on if you have a lot of one relative to the other (if you are low on armor but high on stamina, you can get a ratio in the single digits which makes things like the glyph add more EH than any stamina trinket in the game, but this is really unusual and not usually possible with available gear selection).

Regardless what armor DOES give you is more efficient healing.
    (damnit, what aggathon said)
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

Quote Originally Posted by feralminded View Post
    Actually by definition EH is in fact how much damage you can take without a single heal and neither armor nor stamina are undervalued in any way in this calculation, they are in fact both of paramount importance in it. My only point is that for most plate wearers roughly 11 armor ~ 1 stamina when it comes to EH equivalence (this means 11 armor and 1 stamina will increase EH and/or TTL by precisely the same amount). That number does vary depending on if you have a lot of one relative to the other (if you are low on armor but high on stamina, you can get a ratio in the single digits which makes things like the glyph add more EH than any stamina trinket in the game, but this is really unusual and not usually possible with available gear selection).

Regardless what armor DOES give you is more efficient healing.
    WRT "undervalued" I think he is referring more to "people don't think of armor as being as valued as it actually is" and not "armor isn't as good as stam". Just to clarify.

And I generally use the stam enchant (obviously on my DK who's an engineer I use the engineering armor enchant) just because it's 100% applicable to all damage I take whereas armor isn't necessarily...and they're so very similar in raw EH value.

If there was an updated WoTLK version of the armor patch available to non-engineers then it wouldn't even be a contest, though.

Quote Originally Posted by feralminded View Post
    Ha! Beat you by 3 minutes =P

WRT "undervalued" I think he is referring more to "people don't think of armor as being as valued as it actually is" and not "armor isn't as good as stam". Just to clarify.
    Correct. In the EH formula its perfectly fine; the problem is that people only use the raw EH formula for evaluation, and that sells armor very, very short.

I've started to curtail my love for armor when it started reaching points where i start ending up ragestarved. When you're running about with 38K armor, you start feeling the rage loss, mostly on trash ofc but i'm lazy, i dont change gear just for trash :P

Re: Glove Enchant - Which gives more EHP

I would use the 18 stam, from heavy borean armor kit I believe.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread