+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleave or not to Cleave?

Cleave or not to Cleave?

I've read quite a bit on tanking for a warrior, but have never found an answer to a question I have had: Should I be tab targeting and spamming Heroic Strike? Or just spamming Cleave and tab target once in awhile and hit a different mob with a shield slam?

It seems like I have always read the Heroic Strike version, but I was curious as to why if there is a reason that I'm missing.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

You should be cleaving and tab targetting. Don't forget that Cleave doesn't take up your GCD presently. Also, don't cleave if you don't have the rage to use one of your other abilities.

The way I do it with my Warrior at the moment is that if I've got more then 40 rage, I'm using Cleave. Everytime my Swing-timer resets, I'm hitting Cleave (I can usually tell this when the yellow box around Cleave disappears and I can see the Cleave animation), this is because Cleave is on Next Hit and doesn't use your GCD whilst your other abilities do. I Heroic Strike only when I've got more then 50 rage, and Single Target. 2 or more mobs, it's always Cleave.

anyone else notice when you cleave sometimes it like doesnt work

i mean,id be mashin the hotkey for my cleave and nothing will happen.and i have the rage to use it,cuz thats what i usually do when im tanking multiple mobs is spam cleave and thunderclap

Simple rule to follow regardless of whether you're arms, fury or prot:

When in doubt, CLEAVE!

Ok, that was the fun part but yeah, cleaving is good on aoe tanking. I've bound heroic strike to mousewheel down and cleave to mousewheel up. Makes it very easy to switch between the two and doesnt mess up with the keyboard not registering multiple key presses.

It's not very complicated

One target = Use Heroic Strike
    Two or more = Use Cleave
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

I replaced Cleave with small macro to cast Devastate along with Cleave, though i suspect it only devastates only current target (without glyph) not all 3 - if Cleave is glyphed.
    Not being most experienced tank arround to have other opinions but so far i think that Cleave glyph is among the most needed ones.

anyone else notice when you cleave sometimes it like doesnt work

i mean,id be mashin the hotkey for my cleave and nothing will happen.and i have the rage to use it,cuz thats what i usually do when im tanking multiple mobs is spam cleave and thunderclap

Cleave is an "on next swing" ability. If you hit the button it 'cues' until your next white swing. So if you don't autoswing for a while (ie. you are hitting devastate/shield slam/revenge/thunderclap/shockwave) you won't cleave until you do.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

GCD based ability prioritization and usage is much more important to get down for keeping threat. Since Heroic Strike/Cleave does not require a GCD (being on next swing attacks) they should be spammed at all times that you have 50+ rage (most of the time).

With that being said, some points:
    - Bosses: spam Heroic Strike for max single target threat
    - Trash: spam Cleave
    - If losing threat on something in particular switch from Cleave back to Heroic Strike as HS is a nice threat boost in comparison with Cleave
    - Cleave alone will not keep anything on you, must combine cleave with good tab target trash ability usage: charge, thunderclap, shockwave, tab target shieldslam > revenge > devastate while using thunderclap/shockwave/shield block every time they off cooldown in packs of trash.
    - Avoid HS/Cleave macro if possible, rage management and your precision as a tank are both greatly improved if you can utilize optimal ability usage while spamming HS/Cleave separately based on how much rage you have.
    - My preferred Vigilance targets: mage, warlock, dk, warrior (avoid hunters, shadow priests, shammies, rogues).
    - When in doubt taunt: no one cares what trash is on as long as it is on a tank, if taunt is on cooldown and something gets away Concussion Blow or Shockwave are nice to stunlock it till you can regain threat.
    Last edited by Squirrelnut; 08-09-2010 at 08:56 AM.

+ Reply to Thread