+ Reply to Thread

Thread: so you can tank randoms as dps spec?

so you can tank randoms as dps spec?

so i heard its better to solo quest until lvl 50-60 but i was thinkin after that just queueing up for bgs and randoms and lvling to 80 doing that

but im just wondering if you can in fact tank randoms as dps spec? cuz i saw somethin on another forum that said you could do lower lvl instances(im not gonna be doing lvl 80 stuff queueing up tank as dps spec).im just wondering like lets say i spec'd arms and got a shield,would it not look completly noob if i tanked randoms as arms spec with a shield?

i heard you can lvl up pretty fast by doing randoms and bgs.and i know arms looks fun in pvp
    i was just wondering before i actually tried this cuz i dont feel like looking like a total noob tanking with a dps spec

You definitely can as long as you don't just DPS and think you're a tank because you have a shield. I've seen arms warriors try and tank as arms warriors and it fails miserably. Use your tanking abilities and you should be alright; you might want to pick up Glyph of Sunder Armor for a bit more splash threat (it makes SA hit 2 targets instead of one; free threat on a second target, basically). The MOST important thing is to use your actual threat-generating abilities (shield slam, revenge, sunder armor, thunderclap, and cleave if you're swimming in rage which I always am against multiple targets). If you're willing to change your spec a little bit, I would say Shield Specialization is invaluable for the amount of rage it gives you (first tier prot talent)

a lot of the early talents don't help you tank much anyways, as long as you get your "tanking" stance like defensive stance, righteous fury, frost presence, bear form you can basically tank as long as you know what you're doing, even if it's the wrong spec you're in. The right spec HELPS a lot, but just push the right buttons and wear the right gear and you should be good up until the 60+ instances.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Errvalunia View Post
    You definitely can as long as you don't just DPS and think you're a tank because you have a shield. I've seen arms warriors try and tank as arms warriors and it fails miserably. Use your tanking abilities and you should be alright; you might want to pick up Glyph of Sunder Armor for a bit more splash threat (it makes SA hit 2 targets instead of one; free threat on a second target, basically). The MOST important thing is to use your actual threat-generating abilities (shield slam, revenge, sunder armor, thunderclap, and cleave if you're swimming in rage which I always am against multiple targets). If you're willing to change your spec a little bit, I would say Shield Specialization is invaluable for the amount of rage it gives you (first tier prot talent)

ya,i was gonna use like sunder armor,thunderclap,etc(i have kinda.made a warrior tank before but i never got it 80 so i know a little bit about tanking with one). and as far as spec goes if you know a arms spec that would do this better then

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000

feel free to post one.cuz thats like,the spec i was planning on lvling as

I only found healing DPS specced tanks started to become an issue around Blood Furnace and Slave Pens. This is based primarily around healing a ret specced tank and I had a Disc spec.

Some people may call you out on it but it's not that big of an issue unless you have a questionable healer.
    "Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous." - T. P.

Quote Originally Posted by BruisedOoze View Post
    I only found healing DPS specced tanks started to become an issue around Blood Furnace and Slave Pens. This is based primarily around healing a ret specced tank and I had a Disc spec.

Some people may call you out on it but it's not that big of an issue unless you have a questionable healer.
    ya

i didnt really plan on only lvling thru dungeons though.i was thinkin about maybe questing here and there,but mainly queueing up for random bgs and random dungeons.i guess i could always just spec prot if it begins to seem like a problem

You certainly can. But be aware that your fellow party members may take exception.

To me, especially in the day of the random dungeon, the bottom is is this...

Can you keep threat?

If you can with a twinkie and prayer you're golden, if you can't in all the right gear and spec then you're in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by grizlee View Post
    To me, especially in the day of the random dungeon, the bottom is is this...

Can you keep threat?

If you can with a twinkie and prayer you're golden, if you can't in all the right gear and spec then you're in trouble.

ya,i think im just gonna try it.and if it fails horribly or people are like "lol why are you spec'd arms /votekick" then ill just go prot

I would say you want to go down the prot tree instead of fury, probably going for shield spec, last stand and improved revenge (and picking up some of the survivability stuff like improved dodge & stamina). But again I'm not a pro warrior, my prot warrior is only lvl 44 http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...her&cn=Kylidge

Quote Originally Posted by Scotteq View Post
    You certainly can. But be aware that your fellow party members may take exception.
    meh

heroics arent serious business,its not like im going into toc or ICC and tanking as arms(which i dont plan on tanking anyway).and if i get costantly kicked cuz im tanking as arms ill just spec prot,i just wanted to go arms cuz i figured it would be more fun and fast lvling if i did bgs and randoms and lvled up

It's quite doable for a while. I levelled a druid to 70 by only doing instances, mostly healing. Up to brd or so, it was quite doable. In brd, they needed noticably more healing, and by the time I hit outland dungeons, I dreaded them - they were a pain to keep up, and usually had medium threat issues as well.

I also did some heroics in my ret spec, using mostly prot gear and a big twohander. It worked, but not amazingly well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

i tank heroics as fury, since i would prolly be tanking most of the mobs anyways might as well get a faster queue for it. but if i get like a really low geared healer i'll at least throw tank gear on, otherwise it's my usual dps gear. some people enjoy the much faster randoms since i'm basically a 9k dps tank and the geared healers aren't bored out of their minds.

but while leveling arms is a viable tree to tank with, back in bc you could tank pretty much up to caverns of times with a 2hander, anything past that needed a shield and actual prot spec.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Destruyen View Post
    i tank heroics as fury, since i would prolly be tanking most of the mobs anyways might as well get a faster queue for it. but if i get like a really low geared healer i'll at least throw tank gear on, otherwise it's my usual dps gear. some people enjoy the much faster randoms since i'm basically a 9k dps tank and the geared healers aren't bored out of their minds.

but while leveling arms is a viable tree to tank with, back in bc you could tank pretty much up to caverns of times with a 2hander, anything past that needed a shield and actual prot spec.
    ya,i planned on getting tank gear before i tried it.so i guess ill plan on doing that because what i was thinkin about doing is mostly queueing up for bgs and using the lfg dungeon finder.but i did hear it was better to quest up until 60 with a dps warrior so i guess after lvl 60 ill just try it

Honestly if you can afford it just pick up a dual spec, if you cant afford it yes you can tank with a dps spec keep a shield and 1 hander as you will usually clear randoms faster with them, due to saving the healers mana.

Instant Dungeon Cues as a Tank for the most part. Knowing how to tank part of being a warrior imo, so do try it out. The Satchels of helpful goods rewards will speed up the time you spend questing.

I think when tanking at higher levels in a dps spec, part of the problem is some of those guys don't start collecting a tank set, or just plain aren't good at tanking. I've seen "dps tanks" do it right and do it wrong. It's doable; I just wouldn't try it in a heroic or something unless the healer knows you/accepts what you are doing, or they'll have a rude shock.

+ Reply to Thread