+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Holy Priest help

Holy Priest help

Hey all, I am looking for some advice on my holy priest, I know there a some better pieces of gear i can get but still building up badges and waiting for drops from icc 10. I feel i can heal quite well and can solo heal from the start of icc through all the trash to the first boss in icc. (got some very good tanks in guild) but im worried about my mana which is why im gonna link my char. At the moment he has 23k mana, and on long fights (i.e Dream walker when 2 holy palas healing the dragon i found myself nearly going oom! and that worries me.
    I have looked at changing my gems to sp+haste, sp+spirt and pure sp as some of the guildes state, but that drops my mana really low, well 22k. so i changed them back. so at the mo im slightly confussed. http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...as&cn=Holybear. Thats my priest if you would look and give some comments, (even if it your being silly) i would be most grateful. Tyvm everyone

1. Doesn't really matter what you gem these days, although my opinion of your gem choices isn't great.

2. Grab a solace from normal ToC 25 or heroic ToC 25 it's better than your ICC 10 trinket paticularly if you suffer from being unable to manage your mana.

3. I'm trying to be nice but really you shouldn't have mana issues:
    -If you are running 10 mans only why aren't you disc? (its just that little bit easier to manage mana wise although best work out why you are running out of mana first...)
    -Is there Replenishment in the raid? (2 for 25 mans, 1 for 10 mans)
    -In fights where you struggle can you get a Shaman in your group or an Innervate?
    -Are you using Shadowfiend and Hymn of Hope most mana problems can boil down to poor useage of those spells imo.
    -Are you over-healing by that I mean are you resorting to PoH when the damage incomming is rather little or are you spamming CoH and PoM when they aren't needed? are you prehaps constantly healing instead of letting in some time for regen? are you overwriting running renews on targets? I really can't tell without a log!!!

4. Your concerns about mana pool size are slightly justified but not many priests gem int purely and that is why your guild is telling you to gem a variety of random stuff. Try get better at managing your mana/using cooldowns/asking for cooldowns and then cut the regen stats from gear for throughput instead of being in the deep end without a paddle.
    5. Jeese your talents are kinda wrong; Improved innerfire is missing(READ THE TOOLTIP AGAIN), Greater heal talents 100% guarentee you aren't using this spell in just: Don't take unbreakable will, Don't take more then 3 points in Empowered Healing (Go armory some priests in top 100 guilds most of them have 0 points, not saying some don't take this but Renew dominates the holy play style now.
    Sorry if you are offended by this hopefully it gives some insight...
    Last edited by Nicki; 08-06-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Talents

A lot of what Nicki said, I agree with.

Definitely spec for Imp Inner Fire, the extra SP will help you out (and the armor isn't bad either). I also agree with losing Empowered Healing (which buffs Flash Heal and Greater Heal) for 3/3 Empowered Renew, and either 3/3 Blessed Resilience or 1/3 Blessed Resilience and 2/2 Body and Soul. (or 1/2 Surge of Light to go 2/3 BR, there are a few possibilities) Either way, you need to max out Empowered Renew nowadays, it's a fantastic talent.

Lose the PW:S glyph for Guardian Spirit, which is absolutely frickin' amazing.

Your gear isn't bad except for a few pieces, and there are a few enchants and gems I would mess around with. (10 spirit < 23 haste, and 18 spirit < move speed and 15 stam, even if you have mana issues losing 28 spirit is not going to make or break you)

Int is still your primary mana stat, but you have pretty good gear so I'm not convinced you need to gem much of it. Like Nicki asked, how often do you pop HoH and Fiend? What is your definition of nearly going OOM? I've heard some people say "well I was nearly OOM, almost had to pop my shadowfiend and mana pot!" to which I reply, well if you don't even need to use your mana regen mechanics then you have too much mana!

Generally my idea of just enough mana is finishing the fight with a thousand or two left with an unused mana pot, but having used HoH and Fiend at oppportune times. Maybe be a little more conservative than that, but you see where I'm heading.

edit: Also, making sure that you're using Inner Focus to its maximum potential is very important, it's typically used combined with Divine Hymn. For Dreamwalker, I used to use it twice until the buff reached huge levels and the fight stopped lasting long enough. Nowadays I just save it for Divine Hymn near the end (it buffs the dragon for 10% extra healing, which helps your Holy Pallies pwn the meters even more!).

Lots of good advice above, just thought i'd reiterate the glyph swap, the guardian spirit glyph is simply a must, so powerful and incredibly useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Holybear View Post
    but im worried about my mana which is why im gonna link my char. At the moment he has 23k mana, and on long fights (i.e Dream walker when 2 holy palas healing the dragon i found myself nearly going oom! and that worries me.
    The frost bolt volleys that the risen archmages throw out not only damage and apply a slowing debuff, they mana burn as well. If DW was the only fight you noticed mana problems it might be due to too many volleys getting off without being interrupted.

Gem for +SP socket bonuses. +SP+Haste for yellow, +SP+Spirit, for blues. Forget gemming intel, it's not a good regen stat for holy. Change your shoulder inscription and head glyph to the SP+Crit versions, the crit will give more regen than the MP5 through surge of light.

so really good advice ty ppl, and no im not offended all help is great ty.

I do use my trinket, when im about half mana, then later while thats on cd then next thing i use is my shadow fiend, after that i use the hymm. That keeps me going. Normally im left with 500-1000 mana on some fight, and others more depends on what boss etc.

Recently the guild and i took on the blood princes and i was one healer and the other was a holy pala. First time we wiped, i ran out of mana it was horrible. but like to say my tank i was healing lasted the longest, not saying that the holy pala isnt any good as he was great. we all did it wrong.

One thing i wasnt doing was using inner focus with the hymm, thats a good point, and tbh i havent been using renew to its potential, ive been flash, shields, renew(at the start of battles), prayer of mending, CoH,and worse case hymm(for healing not mana) (that for OMG tons need healing i need to hit this) The second time we took the boss on, i use renew more than anything, i still used flash when i needed, and CoH, and greater heal when sep procd only when needed) I used all my mana regain abilities once each apart from my trinket, which i used when it procd. and the bosses went down and i was left with 1000 mana. And without any innverates from the druid either.

A lot of the time i have in the past been top healer without overheals more than 20%, last night the pala and i swopped 46% -44% and vice versia healing on recount.

Since my last post i changed my gems back to yellow sockets 20 intel, red 23 sp, and blue sp and spirt which took my mana back upto 23k( that was before the above fight), im never disc as i like the holy healing, and never been disc, and the guild have me as raid healing mainly. ill deff look at my tree as you stated, and ill try and find priests in top guilds and look at there spec.

1 tip for mana regen is to use fiend and hymn together. Since hymn increases your mana pool it means fiend regens even more and you can go from empty to full.

Why do use your trinket for the 1st time at 50%? It restores 1625 mana, i use mine when at around 90% and then on CD deom then on.

Oh and there's no reason to 2 heal BC, i mean the enrage is 10mins and they only have 6mil HP. Use 3 healers next time.

+ Reply to Thread