+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Paladin needs help with Gems/ Gear / Avoidance

Prot Paladin needs help with Gems/ Gear / Avoidance

Since i started tanking start of this year i have been using The Protection Paladin Field Manual aswell as Maintankadin website as guides to help me tank better. I have also been using Rawr to help with my gearing.

Rawr suggested that alot of my gems should be Agi and Parry rating. I read on the guides that it was good for Avoidance as it added up Avoidance = Less Dmg = Less Healing (or something like that). I been raiding ICC 6 bosses fine and guild liked my set up but now after changing realm i entered few raids to Totc and Naxx, not even challenging places and yet everyone i encounters questions me or tries to insult my intelligence because i stack for avoidance over stamina.

Am i gearing wrong or is Avoidance gearing still a good way to go.

Link Armory = http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...cn=Benadiction

Thank you.

Rawr is a powerful tool, and easily misused. You can't download Rawr and expect it to work out of the box, you need to set your settings correctly. Unfortunately, you haven't done that, that is why Rawr is telling you agi and parry are good.

Like all software, Rawr is prone to garbage in-garbage out.

Yeah... dont follow what Rawr says, its suggestions for paladin tanks arent quite the way to go. Your gear would serve you alot better by regemming nearly everything to stamina, parry is nice avoidance, but it has horrible diminishing returns and should never be gemmed for, maintankadin states that in many posts. Your ideal setup would be one stam/agi gem, and then the rest just pure stam, your helm has a nature resist chant, may I ask why? also, change your cloak from defense to armor, your chest from 10 stats to 275 health, gloves from armsman to 18 stam, and lastly, bladeward is a nerfed version of mongoose basically, its horribly effected by diminishing returns and has been decided as the worst of all relevant tanking enchants, Mongoose would suit you much better.

Avoidance isnt a reliable focus anymore due to a) the avoidance debuff from icc and halion. and b) the fact that many of the bosses hit too hard to safely rely on avoidance to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Shieldie View Post
    Yeah... dont follow what Rawr says
    This is a pretty broad based statement. Rawr is good even for paladins, provided it is set up correctly.

I personally choose expertise/stam as my red gem. the Agi is a wash, but 10 expertise is always significant, even past the soft cap.

Thanks alot guys, Reading the EHP discussion now (so loooooooooooooooooooooong but interesting)

Ill try to avoid rawr now until i adjust setting and use it only as a opinion rather than advice.

I will change gems/enchants then and i have the resist chant as it was the most easiest to get without much work. Upgrading it asap.

Really appreciate the help guys

Thank you

Don't forget you have far too much defense. 225 armor to cloak, and change your def gems to pure stamina. You should be able to get enough honor for the pvp shoulder enchant (either WG, BGs, or if you hate pvp, turn those stonekeeper shards into honor). Finally, Armsman for gloves has been proven to be the worst enchant nowadays, go with 18 stam (heavy borean armor patch) or 240 armor (TBC glove reinforcement), or at the very least, expertise to gloves is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    This is a pretty broad based statement. Rawr is good even for paladins, provided it is set up correctly.

I personally choose expertise/stam as my red gem. the Agi is a wash, but 10 expertise is always significant, even past the soft cap.
    I worded it wrong I guess :P Ive just not been able to get Rawr to work for me when it comes to prot paladins, It always comes up with something odd.

I just prefer the agi because expertise isnt usually anything I care much about while tanking, I prefer the extra dodge, armor, and crit.

Shouldn't i be keeping alteast 540 Def? if i change all enchants and gems i will go below this cap.

aslong as you use the pvp shoulder enchant, you will remain uncrittable aslong as you have 536 defense, the 15 resil is worth 4 defense in crit immunity

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread