+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pally Heroic Instance Tanking Question

Pally Heroic Instance Tanking Question

For tanking as a pally JUST for Heroic instances. What stats and what not should I focus on, and what caps or numbers should I get if not cap for this kind of tanking in comparison to raiding?

Tanking heroics is pretty much the same as tanking in raids, except it's downgraded. So all the usual tanking stats apply, but you don't need as much of 'em. Def cap is 535 for hc bosses but other than that, don't need much else. You can maybe gear more for trash, since the usual time when things go wrong for tanks is during AoE. So get tier sets that focus on those abilities. For old wrath instances, you don't really need that much health. Originally I would tank them all with no more than 25K and hitting 30K HP was a lot on those days, and many of those instances have actually been nerfed since. Plus that assumed that DPS and healers were in similar level gear. The Icecrown HCs need a bit more but HC farming will yield you with ToC level gear so that's not an issue either.

So all you really need to do is continue doing HCs and you will outgear them all in no time.

Heroic trash mobs don't need expertise, although bosses do. You also don't need 8% hit.

Def cap is 535
    get tier sets that focus on those abilities

Other then that, being totally new to tanking how much expertise do I need. And how much hit do I need just to get by? Is there anything else except what I have listed that I need to get covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Killa162 View Post
    Def cap is 535
    get tier sets that focus on those abilities

Other then that, being totally new to tanking how much expertise do I need. And how much hit do I need just to get by? Is there anything else except what I have listed that I need to get covered.
    If you need solid numbers here ya go:
    Def 535 for heroics 540 for raids.
    Hit is 8% but its never required to have that much even at the lower gear levels.
    Exp soft cap is 26, hard cap is 56. With a glyph and talents you should be ok. Like was said earlier, heroics don't really require exp due to the fact most stuff dies way to fast.

This is tanking! There is no right or wrong number to tank....you can NOT tank on numbers alone. This isn't a dps thing with I have to have such and such a number to be ok or if I don't I'll be bad. There is so many variations to tanking and builds and stats. There is avoidance tanks, high dps tanks, stam stackers. None of this really matters in heroics, cause again...trash dies TOO FAST. Bosses die faster.
    The only solid number you MUST hit is 535/540 def.

Is there anything else except what I have listed that I need to get covered.
    You really haven't listed to much. Go grab a cookie cutter spec 0/53/18 and glyphs to match. Hit up maintankadin.com if you can't find the info you need here but you can. Say....if you wanted your toon to be looked over and have people help you w/spec and gear, you could link an armory but the blanket "what numbers do I need to tank" don't help to much.
    Last edited by Chasey; 08-07-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: fixed the spec numbers :D

Quote Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
    Go grab a cookie cutter spec 0/530/18 and glyphs to match.
    O.O

But yeah, definitely link your toon's armory so we can give you more specific advice!

For heroics only?

First of all, hit and expertise caps are 5.4% - that will make all your melee hits connect. Spell cap is slightly higher, but you shouldn't care about it, you shouldn't need taunts anyway.

I'm assuming you'll be spending all the badges you aquire, so you'll be outgearing stuff quite a lot. This gives you some freedom in where to spend your talent points, since things like a few% less damage or ardent defender won't really matter. We'll dump those points into more dps generation.
    I think I'd run with something like this once I outgear the content - before that, cooky cutter specs are probably best.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

+ Reply to Thread