+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power Auras vs Classtimers

Power Auras vs Classtimers

For the last 8 or so months Ive been using the addon Classtimers to keep a track on buffs and debuffs such as vindication, divine plea, sacred shield, other procs like that. Now, as Ive mentioned in previous posts, my computer kinda broke down and what I have to work with currently, is alot less than Im used to, so in effort to keep from overloading my machine with addons, and to keep my framerates at a playable level, ive got rid of nearly every single addon i had, keeping only the necessary addons required to raid.

Ive been doing older content lately, going to be going back to fulltime raiding in 2 weeks, and have decided that a buff/proc monitor is needed to play at my fullest, now, before I used classtimer, i used power auras, I had never really paid attention to their memory usages so Im not so sure which one is heavier, or if there is even a lighter alternative which I have overlooked, I need something that effects my fps as little as possible.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Keep in mind that the amount of memory an addon uses has VERY little to do with your FPS. What affects your FPS rate is how much CPU time an addon sucks up, which is impossible to know unless you know how a particular addon is written and have an understanding about which functions suck up a lot of CPU.

Most people assume that if an addon uses a lot of memory it must be using a lot of CPU time as well, which may be true for some addons, but for the majority of addons out there, this is false.

BUT, back to the original purpose of your post. I'm using Power Auras, always have, probably always will--so I would suggest Power Auras.

alright.. Im just asking because im not really computer literate and all I know is with my former addons I have 5~ fps and without them i have almost 30

Quote Originally Posted by Shieldie View Post
    alright.. Im just asking because im not really computer literate and all I know is with my former addons I have 5~ fps and without them i have almost 30
    I know, was just informing you. Wasn't trying to say, "Oh my gosh your so stupid because your wrong and know nothing about addons!!", or anything like that. Just letting you know that memory use doesn't mean that it'll cause your computer slower FPS. Guess it is hard to show emotion through text.

But anyway, addons that parse combat logs are usually one of the most CPU intensive addons around. Probably the two most popular addons that parse the combat logs are damage meter addons (such as Recount) and mods like Deadly Boss Mods. In my opinion, you don't really need Recount, as you can always capture the logs and upload them to websites like World of Logs later. Boss mod addons are usually a little harder to remove, as people use them as a crutch in raids these days (myself included). But with a little practice you should be able to remove DBM as well.
    But removing those two addons should help significantly.

If you wish, you should post a list of the addons you are currently using/thinking about using, and myself and the rest of the forum members might be able to pick through the list to tell you which ones are CPU intensive, and which have better alternatives.

Hi there!

You could try starting with a really minimal UI compilation like http://www.tukui.org/v2/ and then add a bossmod and see if that is sufficient.

For specialized purposes there's always http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...tails/acp.aspx which can be used to disable e.g. auction addons while raiding from an ingame UI and have them ready in the AH.

In case you want to do it custom but a little bit more complicated just install a profiling addon like

http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/addon-profiler/
    http://www.wowace.com/addons/fubar_performancefu/

and find out which addons really drop your FPS.

Cheers!
    skaggi

wow tukui is something im going to look into! not only does it seem lightweight, but its so pretty *-* lol

I know that recount isnt 'needed' in raid but as a tank I use the damage taken and death features too much to let it go, so basically, what ive done is.. I went into my combat log and just disabled everything, and now I use a few pieces of skada, which ive heard is alot lighter than recount, but I disabled all the useless pieces that i never use like fails and healing and just keep deaths, and damage taken. Right now I have deus vox encounters instead of dbm, but I have a feeling its more intensive so Im going to be trying dbm again when I start back raiding

thanks everyone

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...im-reaper.aspx is quite light for death review. If you don't need Recount for anything else I would get rid of it because it is a real performance hog.

And you're right, DXE is not the lightest bossmod.

Cheers!
    skaggi

tyvm

I tried tukui for awhile, it seemed amazingly great... until i joined wg and couldnt move anytime anybody went on my screen I shoulda known it was too good to be true for me lol.

Im gonna go with power auras and DBM and just play with standard ui til i get a new computer

+ Reply to Thread