+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bonus armor vs. avoidance stats

Bonus armor vs. avoidance stats

Hey guys, I just got the reg-25 neck off rotface, and I noticed it has armor instead of a 3rd avoidance/threat stat. I was originally aiming for the h-10 neck off marrowgar (i'm in a good 10 man group that does hardmodes, but only pug 25), and I was wondering if the bonus armor on the rot neck made it better than the marrowgar.

The marrowgar neck also has a blue socket for 6sta, so that might make it slightly better, but I'm mostly just curious how to consider armor, or bonus armor, on an item vs other avoidance stats like parry or dodge.

Thanks!

672 armor is higher in value for effective health than 6 stamina for any physical damage based encounter. Magic damage based encounters the 6 stamina would naturally be better as armor has no effect on magic. The avoidance doesn't really enter into the equation much into it in ICC or Ruby Sanctum as both have avoidance reduction.

The one from Rotface 25N is better for tanking physical damage.
    The one from Lord Marrowgar 10H is better for tanking magic damage.

You aren't very likely to pick up Lord Marrowgar 10H one for the additional 6 stamina just for tanking magic based encounters. More likely you would probably pass it to another tank first and probably pick it up later if it is going to be sharded. Least that would be my thought.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

The only fight the marrowgar neck would be better on is if you're OTing BQL since that is 100% magical damage, every other fight has enough of a physical component to it that the 672 armor (roughly 60 stam worth of EHP) is going to be way more worth it than an extra 6 stam.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Bile-encrusted is one of the best necks in the game, topped only by its heroic version.

because...armor is yummy. Effective Health is what you gear for and while stam is available in many forms, extra armor is only available in very few & select pieces, making them much more valuable than their initial appearance might indicate. That neck and the ring from valithera are two pieces that i would simply kill my OT for :P

Ok thanks for the info guys. I wasn't trying to argue 600 something armor vs 6 sta though, that was just the extra from socket bonus. the marrowgar neck has 11 dodge and 48 parry more, plus the 6 stam, but it has 13 less defense than the rotface neck. So it just didn't seem quite so obvious. But yea I suppose parry ain't so great anyway, and armor is great on almost every fight.

I do really want that valithera ring now though, but i've never seen a pug go for her. oh wells.

+ Reply to Thread