+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heroic Lich King threat too low

Heroic Lich King threat too low

My guild has been running Heroic Lich King for the last couple weeks with me MT'ing, but I continually get told that all the dps is threat capped.

Omen says that I'm pulling between 9 and 12k tps, but my top two dps classes are pulling well over 15k when they go all out. I'm just not sure how to overcome that large of a threat disparity.

Armory for my Heroic Lich King set:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Medivh&n=Ashla

My group consists of:
    Tank1: me
    Tank2: prot pally
    Heal1: disc priest
    Heal2: holy pally
    Heal3: resto druid
    dps1: fire mage
    dps2: balance druid
    dps3: ret pally
    dps4: dk
    dps5: swaps between ele shaman and warlock

I'm using the standard rotation. At fight start, I mangle, then immediately hit berserk for more mangles. I usually hit lacerate during the berserk once to start stacking my idol. It doesn't really matter though. My fire mage waits for about 3-4 seconds and within 5 casts is at around 110% and then has to either invis or stop casting.

I'm just trying to figure out if there is some glaring issue with my setup.

HALP! I need advice!

Thanks,
    Ashla

honestly if your pulling 9-12k tps you cant really do much more on your end. You are even running arp and haste gear. Besides a possible hodir trick initial threat boost, the 2 pallys can help you out with salv. Disc can burn pain suppression, to off set some of the burst threat. With no rogue or hunter its going to have to be a combo of you doing everything u can while they help you out.

If you aren't familiar with the hodir trick. Have the mage threat cap then pop images, Mage burns all cooldowns to push threat as high as they can. Timing is important , but one taunt just as images fade should get you ahead at least a bit. Mage can then invsi if they want, as least in theory the mage should be one less to worry about for the rest of the fight.

A faster base speed weapon perhaps for more Maulin?

Hope this helps , and if it doesnt at least be reassured your doing plenty of tps =P

Hunters and rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

is the DK at least frost. If not, no sunder and no WF means a lot less, not as hard hitting, mauls. I refuse to tank 10 mans for my guild unless there is both a rogue/warrior and icy talons/WF because I just cannot hold threat off casters if I do not have both of them.

No hunter or rogue either for misdirect/trix. You couldn't design better raid comp to leave you at a greater threat disadvantage. Blizz has said repeatedly that they design encounters with the idea that tanks are getting threat contributions from other raid members but that's not the case with your raid comp.

Fire mages are ugly for threat, as are retadins and DK.

Do you use that weapon and trinket for tanking the LK10HC?

Either way, you are lacking an MD or TotT in that group, which could hurt, but really if the DPS know to drop their threat it should be no big issue. It won't kill the mage to spend 3 seconds going invisible, for example.

Thank you for the replies. I meant to post my WOL from my last night attempts to help get a clearer picture http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-mw8ofhpy1fucmgil/

With respect to the weapon, I do have Heroic Bloodfall, Normal Distant Land, the 10m and 25m LK arp weapons. I chose the Oxheart because of the exp to help. I can easily change what weapon I'm using (except Bloodfall is my main tanking weapon and it's enchanted with Blood Draining and gem'd for stam)

My biggest problem with the RL (the mage) is that he claims to have run H:LK with a very similar comp (all casters, actually) and his druid MT had no issues with threat. That was a couple months ago at 15-20% buff, though. Thanks again

edit: formatting

Taking a quick look through your logs, the mage is definitely not using invis as much as he could be. Looking at the fights that went for longer than 10 minutes, I see him using invis just once when it's got a three minute cooldown. Threat generation is the tank's job but aggro management is the dps's job. If you're doing all you can to generate threat, they need to be doing all they can to manage their aggro.

+ Reply to Thread