+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Last Word for Warriors

Last Word for Warriors

Recently came to a discussion between warriors in the guild, the skepticism about Last Word for warrior tanks. It was not so much as for the other stats, the proc, but the weapon speed, which is 1.8. Conventional tanking weapons are all 1.6, so I am decided to turn to you guys; would you perceive this has a big handicap for warrior tanks, since both Cleave and Heroic Strike depend on fast weapon speed?

It doesn't seem like a big difference to me but if someone has solid numbers to backup an opinion, it'd be great.

shouldn't be large enough to matter tremendously, 1.6 to 1.8 variation after haste effects like windfury should make them relatively close in speed post calculation anyways, it matters more once you pass the 2.00 mark.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I thought I had posted an answer...hmm. Well anyway heroic strike is a rage dump, and is such low threat it should be used as just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Just picked the heroic version of this actually, thinking about using it to see what kind of impact it has on my tanking first hand. lacking of stats sucks but eh, the 250 dps is pretty sexy over my 211 normal troggbane. wonder if the ~40 dps increase will make up for the lack of expertise i'll lose (i'm an orc!). Anyone know what the uptime is for this? I know there were older threads that contained information about it more, but I don't recall what the end uptime was on the proc.

I don't have an exact number but from scuttlebutt it's almost constant.

Up time on last word is 100% if you can maintain some semblance of a normal rotation. in reality would say 90-93% for a full clear of ICC.

hrm, 250 dps + more stam with a constant 110 str or so does sound kind of sexy... no defensive stats blows but i'm already using a pvp shield so what do I care... and extra healing is just gravy... i think i'm gonna try it out tonight. I'll doubt i notice any difference though except in tps, survivability wise, 350 extra heals sounds trivial.

Right now the 350 heals is pretty much trivial, but come time to level in cata, if your leveling as prot, it will be pretty nice to have.

It boost your incoming healing as if the healer had 300 extra spellpower, not a flat 300 boost to incoming heals. So that actually is a TON of healing on you.

Now not all of it will be effective healing, but I would certainly hold up the healing proc to be just as good if not better than the random avoidance on Troggbane or other tank weapons.

When your primary tank healers are pushing enough healing right now to top you up in 2 flat spells, the 350 healing is trivial, especially when they can spam repeatedly without caring about mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Khilbron View Post
    When your primary tank healers are pushing enough healing right now to top you up in 2 flat spells, the 350 healing is trivial, especially when they can spam repeatedly without caring about mana.
    Not every heal on you is a Holy Paladin critting for 10 million though. But still, I see your point. Ideally it would be an armor proc (I can dream huh) but it's still as good or better than random avoidance.

I'd still go with the higher EH weapon - the fact that it is better for threat just further cements the choice. No use losing both threat and EH for some measly avoidance.

With the 30% buff everyone's critting 10 million....but you're both right. In the end take the weapon that fits you best. But for the OP, the speed difference between this and say, facelifter, is trivial for warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    But for the OP, the speed difference between this and say, facelifter, is trivial for warriors.
    Cheers, this is what I was looking for

I'm running with normal Mithrios & have the heroic Facelifter in my bags. I actually ended up passing up heroic Last Word tonight. Not 100% sure i made the right move but i really cant see Last Word as an upgrade (the protadin who got it will benefit way more from it than me anyway). Healing at this point isnt an issue. For both threat & mitigation, the ones i have are coming out ahead on rawr. Overall personally i'm partial to the Facelifter and wearing the Mithrios for GS display in dalaran.

Quote Originally Posted by Fledern View Post
    I'm running with normal Mithrios & have the heroic Facelifter in my bags. I actually ended up passing up heroic Last Word tonight. Not 100% sure i made the right move but i really cant see Last Word as an upgrade (the protadin who got it will benefit way more from it than me anyway). Healing at this point isnt an issue. For both threat & mitigation, the ones i have are coming out ahead on rawr. Overall personally i'm partial to the Facelifter and wearing the Mithrios for GS display in dalaran.
    It would be a gain of two stam over H Facelifter I think, hardly worth taking from someone else. (the heal proc is about as valuable as the defense and parry)

Also, I don't like Rawr very much for tank gearing. You have to tweak it so much that it's very difficult to get accurate results, when you can simply learn what stats to go for, what the fight entails, and gear accordingly yourself. (that's part of what's nice about tanking and healing - NO DAMN SIMS :-D )

I use rawr mainly for threat sims, the tanking bit is, as you say, very situational & can be managed by myself better

When 2 holy paladins get unchained and your resto druids, priests and shammies have to heal you up, this weapon is awesome. I think this weapon is better than people make out, when you put it in an actual raiding situation. The next best weapon for EH (some may argue the best, better) is hc Ardent Guard/Crusader's Glory from ToGC10, because of its 500 or so armor. In my eyes, a weapon which increases your healers spell power by 350 is far better than increasing your avoidance by a small amount and the strength proc makes up for lost stats like hit or expertise.

As i said, i'm still not sure it wasnt an upgrade for me, just that it wasnt a big one. I've done a simulation to see what would happen to my stats if i equipped every BiS gear that i dont yet have access to. All it resulted was in 2K more armor (worth a carefully timed double pot trick armor potion) and 1% more avoidance. And 1K extra hp. Not that earthshattering.

At least for me, the current problem (especially on those progression heroics) is maintaining enough threat. What with the cooldowns, proper communication and experience with the fights, survivability is less of an issue and when it is, it always ends up being a worse case than 2K armor, 1K hp and 1% more avoidance could've ever fixed.

The str proc really looks cool but combined with the expertise loss, it still comes around to similar threat outputs. As for the sp increase, i'd feel safer popping SW, LS+ER, trinkets, asking for GS chaining which will again pretty much make 350 extra sp a nonissue. If the 350 sp was on the healer weapon, the impact of it on raidwide healing would be beyond awesome. just for tankhealing, i still think it's a bit underwhelming.

When did they change it? It used to improve the passive heals from Shadow Priests by a ton.

This weapon is pretty underrated in my honest opinion. It is one of the best threat weapons in game, with a 100% uptime on the proc. Not to mention the effective healing you gain, which is really pretty helpful on alot of different fights, albeit it relies on your healers and not just you. Will I replace it with Heroic Mithrios flat out for most fights? Yes, because of pure stats, but the speed itself doesn't make it any less of a good weapon compared to your other choices.

+ Reply to Thread