+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 80 - 85 content worth it ?

80 - 85 content worth it ?

My question to BETA people is, Blizzard are giving us 5 new zones for end game whilst revamping a lot of the old world for 1 - 60. Wrath has been like a rollercoaster of boring/good/boring/good/then nerfed, so nearly everyone has been able to invest time in alts.

Nearly everyone has 2 + alts, if they don't then they are the type of player who has no wish to have an alt or only has time for a main. I feel the amount of effort invested by Blizzard in revamping 1 - 60 is wasted because hardly any people are going to benefit from it and all we will do is fly around once or twice and go ooh it's changed nice.

From what you have managed to experience so far are 80 + getting a short straw in terms of quality indepth content outside of raiding ?
    Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party, this Is something I have missed since nov 08.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
    My question to BETA people is, Blizzard are giving us 5 new zones for end game whilst revamping a lot of the old world for 1 - 60. Wrath has been like a rollercoaster of boring/good/boring/good/then nerfed, so nearly everyone has been able to invest time in alts.

Nearly everyone has 2 + alts, if they don't then they are the type of player who has no wish to have an alt or only has time for a main. I feel the amount of effort invested by Blizzard in revamping 1 - 60 is wasted because hardly any people are going to benefit from it and all we will do is fly around once or twice and go ooh it's changed nice.

From what you have managed to experience so far are 80 + getting a short straw in terms of quality indepth content outside of raiding ?
    You're making the mistake of thinking that everyone plays the game the same way you do. I know a lot of people who are more excited about a revamped Azeroth than they are the 81-85 content. I also know a lot of people that think WotLK was better than both BC and Vanilla. Millions of people play, and they don't all want the same things you do. Good luck.

Wrath of the Lich King had about 1000 new quests. Cataclysm has over 3000.
    My guess is is that is 3000 level 78-85 quests, or in other words 3000 not counting all the 1-60 stuff.

Still think you are getting short changed?

And even if it is 300 counting the 1-60 stuff, loremaster for kalimdor and eastern kingdoms is what, 1500ish. You are still getting more quests for 78-85 than 70-80

Re: 80 - 85 content worth it ?

Let's not forget blizzard is always thinking ahead for future content. This whole new revamp will most likely play some kind of role in the next expansion. Well hopefully.... even so. I have been raiding since beginning of bc and to be quite frank, I am ecstatic to take a break from the high end content and go back to the fun stuff that raiders tend to forget about.

Sent from my HTC Incredible via Tapatalk

I'm sort of tired of seeing these posts. You're not the first and won't be the last to say this same thing in about a million different ways on the forums. This was a change that was due. The old world was unfinished and thus sort of broken and bland and boring. Yes, it takes away a bit from new content, but it's needed. Regardless of whether or not you want to level again (and millions of players will level new alts, trust me) you will be impacted by these changes come Cataclysm and beyond. This was very much needed. Better now than later, when it might cost us even more to see it.

I'm not in the Beta, sadly, but personally I'm not concerned by the 80-85 levels of content. I'm convinced that Blizz will make it worth the while and I'm not worried it will somehow be second quality. Actually, I'm more excited about the 1-60 levels and have already picked my new alt's race and class that I want to experience it with. I don't consider myself an altoholic, but I do have 4x lvl 80 characters, with one more at level 68. So this is coming from someone who has played through the vanilla quest content quite a few times, and for me this is a promise to revamp the biggest part of the game. Specifically, the part that I spent the most time in when leveling a character.

I think leveling a new Alt will be allot different as they have changed the areas so much now for 1-60 , but the new talent system kinda reminds me a bit of SWG NGE they are making it very simple for people now and i'm not sure that is a good thing time will tell as i didnt et much change to play last night due to constant disconnects.

To answer the questions you asked:

The level 80-82 content (more zones not yet available, though Twilight Highlands should be available soonish) is nice. It isn't mind-blowing, but it is as good or better than the quality of Northrend zones, possibly with more intensely integrated, world-significant quest lines. The story telling is fine, not better or worse. Quest designs are rarely original (if you've played the game to 80 you've seen the standard quest formats that make up 90% of the new stuff), but some of the locales are actually interesting enough, and if you like reading the story lines there is enough to keep you interested, for sure.

If you are not an avid leveler or explorer (which is what I take by the way you talk about the game), the content you will be most interested in is the endgame, the raids and instances. Those are not in the game yet. So, if you're looking for a reason to write off buying the expansion, you'll just have to wait.

The questions you didn't ask...

I am an alt nut. I have 10, nearly 11 80s. I love leveling new classes, and I've even duplicated one to play with friends on another server. Playing through some of the new "old world" content, and seeing how thoroughly they've cleaned up, re-written, and smartened up the zones, along with the gorgeous world changes and interesting new world dynamics, I actually want to level new alts to see it all.

New leveling paths, new stories, and new class/race combos, along with all new races which have really cool starting zones, all combine to make it a whole new game, even after the 6 years I've been playing. Then again, I enjoy leveling, it is not just a means to an end as I understand it is for a lot of players. So, from that end, if you aren't looking to enjoy the game, you just want to cut to the end part where you can do the stuff that "matters," you'll just have to wait and see how you like it. =)

I'm eager to see, because every expansion, whether you nit pick the little details or not, they do evolve their raid design and philosophy, and I'm rather excited to see the new way they put it all together. Whether or not they hit their target, I really like a lot of their goals. If I like the way they're aiming, I am willing to be patient and constructive with them as they roll it out, because I know they are trying to get it to a place I would like to see.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    To answer the questions you asked:

The level 80-82 content (more zones not yet available, though Twilight Highlands should be available soonish) is nice. It isn't mind-blowing, but it is as good or better than the quality of Northrend zones, possibly with more intensely integrated, world-significant quest lines. The story telling is fine, not better or worse. Quest designs are rarely original (if you've played the game to 80 you've seen the standard quest formats that make up 90% of the new stuff), but some of the locales are actually interesting enough, and if you like reading the story lines there is enough to keep you interested, for sure.

If you are not an avid leveler or explorer (which is what I take by the way you talk about the game), the content you will be most interested in is the endgame, the raids and instances. Those are not in the game yet. So, if you're looking for a reason to write off buying the expansion, you'll just have to wait.

The questions you didn't ask...

I am an alt nut. I have 10, nearly 11 80s. I love leveling new classes, and I've even duplicated one to play with friends on another server. Playing through some of the new "old world" content, and seeing how thoroughly they've cleaned up, re-written, and smartened up the zones, along with the gorgeous world changes and interesting new world dynamics, I actually want to level new alts to see it all.

New leveling paths, new stories, and new class/race combos, along with all new races which have really cool starting zones, all combine to make it a whole new game, even after the 6 years I've been playing. Then again, I enjoy leveling, it is not just a means to an end as I understand it is for a lot of players. So, from that end, if you aren't looking to enjoy the game, you just want to cut to the end part where you can do the stuff that "matters," you'll just have to wait and see how you like it. =)

I'm eager to see, because every expansion, whether you nit pick the little details or not, they do evolve their raid design and philosophy, and I'm rather excited to see the new way they put it all together. Whether or not they hit their target, I really like a lot of their goals. If I like the way they're aiming, I am willing to be patient and constructive with them as they roll it out, because I know they are trying to get it to a place I would like to see.
    Pretty much this. I don't raid, but I do enjoy leveling up alts. So the changes they're making to the 1-60 world are pretty exciting to me. I've done the same quests, gone through the same zones, met the same NPCs, and gotten the same gear, for five years now. So it will be like playing a new game again - something I miss from my first time through the game.

It's almost like getting WoW 2. Most companies would never totally redo their game in an expansion.

I am an alt nut. I have 10, nearly 11 80s. .
    I have six 80s: tank/healer/DPS each on both factions, and I deleted two other 80s just so I could remake them in Cataclysm. I'm sure the 80-85 stuff and the raids will be fun, but, a new world to level in and explore is every bit as exciting as that, if not more exciting. The class revamp where you can play like your spec from level 10 on up in many cases is also very exciting.

So yeah, lots of us are not out of alts to make yet. Just because the OP is, doesn't mean that's how everyone is.

Ha, you're crazy. Why would you delete a character if you weren't at the limit for the server??
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Ha, you're crazy. Why would you delete a character if you weren't at the limit for the server??

I was actually thinking myself of deleting a character I have in place of a worgen, and starting it from scratch. One thing may be the name, although I am one of those people who likes to have a unique name to the class/race/profession like Magesprocket, Shamanectomy, and Weregnome (man I wish you could choose what race you were secondary to Worgen!)

I had the same concerns, a lot of people I play with have already leveled the alt classes they prefer'd already. I mean if Wrath wasn't 'World of Alts" I wouldn't be nearly as concerned.

Also in regards to the amount of quest....I find it hard to believe their making 3000 quest for 80-85 I"m sure a lot of those did refer to lowbie quest.

Either way I feel as though I'm looking forward to Cata for mostly the wrong reasons....new content. In TBC I could have waited another month or so for Wrath since there was still things I wanted to do.

I have noticed that Blizz has mentioned a lot of things they screwed up on in Wrath and seem to be fixing. I'm loving how dungeons wont just be a facerolling AoE fest, but its going to be fun watching people adapt to that again. Also making Threat generation not as inflated my MD or Tricks so I can take pride in being good at threat generation once again.

A main concern is once again not enough to do. With the way the lock outs work I can't fully clear a 10 man raid and a 25 man raid. Now running the same instance twice does blow....I'd much rathered the old days when I did SSC/TK and then did ZA on the weekends, but it's still something to do. Blizzard responds "bring an alt." And trust me I do that already in Wrath and still run out of things to do. I only have one alt and friends with even more who run out of things to do for the most part.

I'm hoping this concern will be solved with Rated BGs however. Arena is a pain cause u need 2 of your partners to log on. Seeing the PvP system be a lot less restricted will remind me of the Vanilla days where I just queue'd for WSG/AB while looking for a UBRS group.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    I'm hoping this concern will be solved with Rated BGs however. Arena is a pain cause u need 2 of your partners to log on. Seeing the PvP system be a lot less restricted will remind me of the Vanilla days where I just queue'd for WSG/AB while looking for a UBRS group.
    I think you're asking to be disappointed in this respect. For rated BGs, you don't need 1-4 team mates, but you do need a full group for the BG in question, so at least 10 people willing (and able) to run that BG with you. Only unrated BGs will have the usual matchmaking we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Minitus View Post
    I was actually thinking myself of deleting a character I have in place of a worgen, and starting it from scratch. One thing may be the name, although I am one of those people who likes to have a unique name to the class/race/profession like Magesprocket, Shamanectomy, and Weregnome (man I wish you could choose what race you were secondary to Worgen!)
    i can see some gnome/worgen's incoming!

OT: i dont see why this isnt worth it, the entire world gets a revamp which is the biggest chance yet in WoW. and i dont think you will be dissapointed with the amount of raids or dungeons.

The old world not being revamped is not why we're only going to 85 instead of 90. There is just as much content from 80-85 as there is from 70-80.

Quote Originally Posted by Khordam View Post
    I think you're asking to be disappointed in this respect. For rated BGs, you don't need 1-4 team mates, but you do need a full group for the BG in question, so at least 10 people willing (and able) to run that BG with you. Only unrated BGs will have the usual matchmaking we know.
    I'm fully aware of that. BGs with my guildies/friends should be way funner then pugs.

Quote Originally Posted by jbuck1984 View Post
    Let's not forget blizzard is always thinking ahead for future content. This whole new revamp will most likely play some kind of role in the next expansion. Well hopefully.... even so. I have been raiding since beginning of bc and to be quite frank, I am ecstatic to take a break from the high end content and go back to the fun stuff that raiders tend to forget about.

Sent from my HTC Incredible via Tapatalk

There will not be a next expansion - WoW is ending at cataclysm - remember Blizzard is creating a new MMO

I had a different experience, fwiw. The questing is very engaging and the story lines are very linear and coherent. You feel like you are an integral part of what is happening in the zone around you; like you are an important cog in a much bigger machine. Everything culminates in some very epic quest to cap the zone that cements a feeling of accomplishment, like you finished a book in a novel series.

Its all very intuitive, too. I mean, you understand what is happening even if you are the kind of person who power skips through quest text. Of course, if you are power skipping quest text with design this engaging, you most likely don't care about any of this stuff anyways; just making a race to 85.

The biggest thing that they did differently in Cata with at least 80-85 content is to make the "final" experience in the zone a scripted encounter rather than an instance. This makes for a much better bow because sometimes you've done the instance before doing the quest that explains about it. Or you never do it, so the zone just "runs out" of quests; so then your like, "oh... well, my work here is done. Sort of anticlimactic...anywho... Up, up and away!"

Now, WotLK, which was a significant questing improvement to bc/vanilla, pales in comparison. There is no "hey, go help out the murlocs cause we said so!" or "Oy, vey! My plane crashed! Now go pick up some oily poop." All the while, your saying to yourself, "Why am I in this zone? OH, YEAH! Malygos is off his rocker! But what do murlocs and excrement have to do with that..." That isn't to say there isn't whimsy. Put it this way, if you are collecting poop in Cata 80-85, its because it will somehow, in someway, connect into the larger plan of defeating the imminent threat in the zone, which is all part of the plan for defeating Deathwing.

That isn't even to mention some of the cool new quest and "vehicle" [which is a term I use to describe interface, not transportation] mechanics. Also, Blizzard is one of the very few companies who have been actually able to pull of the underwater zone without making you feel like a punch in the face would be a more epic experience.

So, I would say that the 80-85 content is markedly superior to any leveling content ever produced... pretty much in any MMORPG ever made. It has the most new questing mechanics that we've seen, and the absolute best linear story progression ever seen in an MMORPG. Not to mention an underwater zone that is preferable to a punch to the jeans [and/or face].

Quote Originally Posted by Zerpex View Post
    There will not be a next expansion - WoW is ending at cataclysm - remember Blizzard is creating a new MMO
    I highly doubt this is their last expansion. In fact, there have been quotes about how a lot of what they're doing in this expansion is going forward to make other expansions easier. The very fact that we go to 85 instead of 90 was because they wanted to leave room for more expansions (I think Blizz wants level 100 to be the end). Now, of course, they could just scrap it at any time, and leave it unfinished before seeing it to their end-goals. That happens all the time in the gaming industry (almost happened with Starcraft). But they're not losing money on the game yet, so I'm betting they'll continue.

+ Reply to Thread