+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Having Threat issues.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    22

    Having Threat issues.

    I was running H Violet Hold last night and it seems like I'm losing my grip on the threat holding when tanking trash mobs. My rotation is currently Thunderclap to aggro all of them > Shockwave to line them up > Tab Cleave > Tab Devastate > and use Revenge when it procs. However, as I was looking on my OTM as I was tanking those Dragonkins in H Violet Hold, it felt like I was holding threat very poorly. I was using everything that could have held aggro and it felt like I just couldn't hold aggro at all on these mobs.

    I believe this started happening when I changed my Glove enchant from Armsman to Glove Reinforcements. However, I am hit cap but not soft cap for expertise. Could somebody give me some ideas of what is currently going on with my character? If anybody needs to take a look at my armory, here it is:

    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ger&cn=Tankful

  2. #2
    Its definately not due to your glove enchant. In 5mans sometimes even on my paladin I dont always glue aoe mobs directly onto me, theres a number of reasons for this but usually it comes down to overgeared dps just nuking.

    I dont have any kind of threat problems in raid settings, but the way 5man instances work nowadays, is mobs die insanely fast, so people just go all out, my general idea of tanking 5mans is that im just there to lead, I pull the mobs, contribute dps, but in the end, threat isnt super important since they die so fast, if someone pulls, just taunt back. if they are pulling on purpose or whatever, ask them to slow down or quit what they are doing.

    I just tend to let the melee facetank these kinda instances while ensuring nothing goes horribly wrong, You are probably doing just fine. the 2% threat decrease from armsman is so tiny that theres no way you would notice it. if you were previously only sitting 2% higher than the dps in threat then theres other problems that a chant alone cant fix

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    22
    That seems very noticeable nowadays that these trash mobs die so fast. I'm sitting around 2.3k~2.5k dps when I'm tanking trash mobs. But then last night, there was another Warrior that was there in H Violet Hold and he was doing about 3.2k~3.3k dps.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,412
    alos, why aren't you shield slamming? if you're tabbing around, you should be tab SS'ing as well, and revenge coupled with improved revenge talents help generate a ton of threat on 2 adds.

    READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

  5. #5
    dps warriors have a bad habit of pulling mobs :P i just accept that fact, theres really not too much you can do about it

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a farm
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Shieldie View Post
    dps warriors have a bad habit of pulling mobs :P i just accept that fact, theres really not too much you can do about it
    DPS warriors have been known to Charge w/o even looking to see a) what target the tank is targeting (or they are deliberately choosing a different target) and b) Charge + Bladestorm immediately and c) Charging before the tank even moves.

    I've stopped taunting off them. They've decided to tank those mobs. Fine. Let them. Cat will (I hope) make them straighten up and watch threat. Oh, and if it's a guild healer, he doesn't heal them. Sometimes they get the hint. Sometimes they don't. Their repair bill.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    612
    Fury Warrior thought bubble "i'll just charge & whirlwind this pack here before the tank. Lots & lots of RAAAAAAGEEEEEEEE NIHAAHA OH YEAH BABY, healers are supposed to heal me anyway"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by CatabriOnEarthen View Post
    DPS warriors have been known to Charge w/o even looking to see a) what target the tank is targeting (or they are deliberately choosing a different target) and b) Charge + Bladestorm immediately and c) Charging before the tank even moves.

    I've stopped taunting off them. They've decided to tank those mobs. Fine. Let them. Cat will (I hope) make them straighten up and watch threat. Oh, and if it's a guild healer, he doesn't heal them. Sometimes they get the hint. Sometimes they don't. Their repair bill.
    This was definitely what happened on another night of H VH. I got queued for a tank, came in, H VH was in progress. I come in an see a Warlock with one of their minions (it was the guy with the axe) that kept taunting off of me. I asked him nicely to "Please change your pet/minion to Passive". He didn't even bother to say anything and just went on tanking. I just told myself, "You know what, I'll just sit here, let the Warlock do his thing, and get my triumphs + drops and leave."

    There are so many players out there that are always in a rush and are the cause of wipes. Then when it wipes, the healer and the tank gets blamed the most for.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    22
    Alright guys, I just ran H DTK. Had 2 deaths because I couldn't hold aggro. I am really bummed out at the moment because this isn't me. The DPS was pretty low too and I still lost aggro on these trash mobs. I'm not feeling it... I don't know what's going on.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canadaland
    Posts
    17
    I was always very unlucky with tabbing through mobs for threat. I'd shield slam, devastate and cleave, tab to start spreading devastates and lose aggro. Eventually, I gave up on tabbing around and figured out the best possible AoE threat rotation for heroics (thunderclap, cleave and shield block).

    Getting your expertise up and maybe picking up deep wounds in your spec might help as well. If all your doing is heroics, switch the taunt glyph for cleave. Throw vigilance onto DPS warriors, warlocks or feral druids if you get them as DPS.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,900
    I do a couple of things for this:

    1) Running an addon such as Tidy Plates: Clean Plates can help a great deal with showing you who/what you have aggro on.

    2) Cleave > Heroic strike for more than 1 mob.

    3) Charge>Thunder Clap> Shockwave>Thunderclap. Filler: Devastate Rage dump: Cleave

    4) Vig Fury Warriors.

    5) I don't stay on any 1 target for a long time, but I make sure to get in a good bit of threat while I am on the target, Revenge and Shield Slam! are top priority here.

    6) Swap in DPS gear. If you have Def. Capped, you are fine in heroics. DPS trinkets, weapon, boots, neck, whatever you can get on without dropping below Def. Cap. This will increase your damage and threat, as well as make you a bit more squishy giving you more rage.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the cloud.
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    I do a couple of things for this:

    1) Running an addon such as Tidy Plates: Clean Plates can help a great deal with showing you who/what you have aggro on.

    2) Cleave > Heroic strike for more than 1 mob.

    3) Charge>Thunder Clap> Shockwave>Thunderclap. Filler: Devastate Rage dump: Cleave

    4) Vig Fury Warriors.

    5) I don't stay on any 1 target for a long time, but I make sure to get in a good bit of threat while I am on the target, Revenge and Shield Slam! are top priority here.

    6) Swap in DPS gear. If you have Def. Capped, you are fine in heroics. DPS trinkets, weapon, boots, neck, whatever you can get on without dropping below Def. Cap. This will increase your damage and threat, as well as make you a bit more squishy giving you more rage.
    This is good advice, use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Fledern View Post
    Fury Warrior thought bubble "i'll just charge & whirlwind this pack here before the tank. Lots & lots of RAAAAAAGEEEEEEEE NIHAAHA OH YEAH BABY, healers are supposed to heal me anyway"
    I tank a lot of heroic random PUG's and i've been seeing a lot of this lately. DPS members who want to tank. Really isn't much you can do about it, I just let them tank. If they become too obnoxious I let them pull a big group then I leave. I have a couple of tank toons so it's really no problem to queue up one of the others and wait out the instance CD.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the cloud.
    Posts
    2,279
    Come on. It's been happening in pug groups since the dawn of the game. Just let them die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts