+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AoE Threat Problems

AoE Threat Problems

It seems that my swipe generates like no threat, i was wondering if there were macros or a way to make it better?

My toon:
    http://www.wowhead.com/profile=us.stormrage.akeo

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Well you've got plenty of hit so that's not it, you're 3/3 Feral Instinct so that's obviously not the problem either. How do you normally go about initiating your AoE pulls? If you find yourself in groups where no one else is using an AP reduction talent on the mobs you can drop Ferocity and pick up 5/5 in Feral Aggression which should help with your AoE threat as well as help you take less damage. Normally I'll Enrage, FFF something, charge in and Demo Roar, position myself to where all the mobs are in front of me in a conical fashion if possible, then just start laying on the swipe. Keep Demo Roar up though or bust it out again if more adds arrive to snatch them up quickly. Growl or FFF things every now and then if needed (get yourself a mouseover growl macro and a mouseover FFF macro and a modified mouseover mod/addon [like tiptac or cowtip or something] so you can mouseover all the targets and see your % threat on them, and then growl or FFF if needed without ever having to change your current target). Doing that, I never really have any problems. Sometimes I'll pop Barkskin if my healer is off in la-la land. Gotta make sure all of them stay in the swipe range though, some may be lingering on the outskirts and not picking up the AoE.

Are people pulling off you in AoE's? If so, what classes? If it's a rogue or a hunter make sure they are MD/TotT'ing you before these types of pulls.

edit: macros - just choose the ? icon and put a space as the title for these macros and it will auto show them as the spells they are

mouseover growl macro:

Code:
    #showtooltip Growl
    /stopcasting
    /cast [@mouseover,harm][harm]Growl
    /startattack
    mouseover FFF macro:

Code:
    #showtooltip Faerie Fire (Feral)()
    /stopcasting
    /cast [@mouseover,harm][harm]Faerie Fire (Feral)()
    /startattack
    ^if you don't have an enemy mouseover, these macros will just cast the move on whatever you're currently targetting (since I use a lot of mouseover macros i usually just keep my mouse pointer hovering on the boss/mob's target frame that i'm currently targetting until i need to use a mouseover move on something else. that way i'm not accidentally casting my mouseover moves on some random ass mob that i don't realize i'm mousing over, when i'm really tryna cast them on my current target).
    Last edited by kungfugrip; 07-28-2010 at 05:21 AM.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-Threat-Values

Code:
    Demo Roar____12772 threat normalized to 61.59 * stance (constant at 0/1/2/3/4/5 out of 5 Feral Aggression)
    so no getting feral aggression will not help

I think the above posters are complicating the OP's question regarding AoE threat and Swipe.

I know this is a bit late into the thread, but I use 2 macros. Maul does not use a global cooldown, so make sure you glyph this also so you hit 2 targets. Then macro Maul (no global), then Feral Faerie Fire (instant), then Feral Charge... My second macro combines Maul and Swipe. Be sure to move around some, as you are tanking - so that as things die, you are hitting and gaining threat on all your targets.

Save Faerie Fire pulling for corner pulls or additional tool to gain threat on lose targets.

Try this:

Enrage

then -
    Macro 1:
    /cast Maul
    /cast (Feral) Faerie Fire
    /cast Feral Charge

then -
    Macro 2:
    /cast Maul
    /cast Swipe

Then just spam your Macro 2 on trash Aoe.
    Last edited by Kiranii; 07-28-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: clarification

How does that first macro work? Aren't charge and FFF on GCD?

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-Threat-Values

Code:
    Demo  Roar____12772 threat normalized to 61.59 * stance (constant at  0/1/2/3/4/5 out of 5 Feral Aggression)
    so no getting feral aggression will not help
    Damn. Learn something new every day. In my defense I've been gone a year. Either way if no one else is providing the debuff it's not bad to have

For trash I equip a few DPS things (cloak, ring, 2 trinkets, neck all gemmed STR because of swipes AP coefficient. Str/haste is a good gemming combo also especially with Maul glyphed). I used to DPS so I am kind of lucky and have a few good DPS pieces for those slots but it's not terribly hard to get decent threat pieces anyways.

If you have a second weapon with the same FAP that your current weapon has then you can Gem/enchant it for DPS too. I currently only have one 277 weapon (woe is me QQ) so I have to use it gemmed/enchanted for EHP. If I had the a second 277 weapon I would gem it STR and probly enchant massacre or berserking.
    Like I said, I would probly only use another weapon if it was the same FAP or if it's a 271/258 and you have a 277/564 (respectively) Cause then the gap in the FAP is a bit smaller(still may not be as good, IDK though.) But if you're downgrading from a 277/264 to a 264/251, then it is for sure not worth it cause it is 400ish FAP less whereas the difference between a 277/264 and 271/258 is only 200ish FAP. This is all for trash, BTW ^.^

I hope some of this helped.
    Last edited by Gape; 07-28-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by torn glory View Post
    How does that first macro work? Aren't charge and FFF on GCD?

Damn. Learn something new every day. In my defense I've been gone a year. Either way if no one else is providing the debuff it's not bad to have
    Actually, they do not share a global. FFF is an instant cast, thus you only need to click a macro once for all three abilities (maul, FFF, charge), using just 1 global cooldown. Just be sure to keep them in that order, so Maul goes off as soon as your charge hits.

Ok, thanks for the replies guys. I did used to have the maul glyph, that might be the problem because I did fine then.
    I'm gonna try out these macros. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiranii View Post
    Actually, they do not share a global. FFF is an instant cast, thus you only need to click a macro once for all three abilities (maul, FFF, charge), using just 1 global cooldown. Just be sure to keep them in that order, so Maul goes off as soon as your charge hits.
    More specifically...

Feral Charge is an interrupt and tanking ability thus off the GCD.
    Faerie Fire is on the GCD, however so long as the macro doesn't have any other abilities on the GCD it will still function.
    Maul is an on-next-attack ability and those have no cooldown and instead modify your next swing which is independent of casting.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

+ Reply to Thread