+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: warrior tanking macro's

i have the razer naga mouse and i really like it. i mainly just use my left hand for W-A-S-D.

before I got the naga though I'd do this

bind moves on keys `, 1, 2, 3, 4 some of them were macros with modifiers
    moves like heroic strike / maul / overpower / whatever on "V" (had to unbind it in keybindings)
    CD's on "X"
    other CD on "C"

and if you don't ever strafe and stuff you can bind stuff to Q and E, as well F if you want

then you can just bind their default binds to some other keys somewhere else on the keyboard out of the way

sweet I like it when I'm doing it right without even thinking about it. =D

I don't use a keyboard, I use an N52te. It's freaking leet.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Shiesty View Post
    i have the razer naga mouse and i really like it. i mainly just use my left hand for W-A-S-D.

before I got the naga though I'd do this

bind moves on keys `, 1, 2, 3, 4 some of them were macros with modifiers
    moves like heroic strike / maul / overpower / whatever on "V" (had to unbind it in keybindings)
    CD's on "X"
    other CD on "C"

and if you don't ever strafe and stuff you can bind stuff to Q and E, as well F if you want

then you can just bind their default binds to some other keys somewhere else on the keyboard out of the way
    The Naga is awesome, I use the 2 aux buttons for reg/flying mounts, and the 1-12 I use for auxiliary stuff. My main rotation and many other abilities are still on the KB, but I use the naga for shattering throw, the different charge macros I use, fishing hotkey, rocket pack, shoot/throw, etc. The mouse itself is an amazing mouse and the DPI settings are killer. The thing performs like a beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

i don't know what that is? is it a mouse or something? or some like gamers seperate usb keypad thing? my net is going slow or i'd look it up (afghanistan still)

btw on a seperate note how come some people's avatars are bigger than mine but whenever i go to upload one it has to be 50x50? i'm a donor as well

It's a special game pad, google N52e and you'll see.

Lore also featured one on the marmot one week. He uses the D pad Hat for abilities, I tend to use it for forward back and strafing. It lets me use one finger (thumb, which previously only used the space bar) for movement rather then 2-3. I can use those 2-3 for buttons to mash skills. The left side 3 buttons are shift and alt and PTT from bottom to top. The wheel is tab target / reverse tab target (which I rarely use, I click to target). That gives me 11 buttons to mash, plus 2 modifiers for a total of 33 keybinds in amazingly easy reach. The software is amazingly easy to figure out and write macros in (which I don't as I am afraid of Blizzard nailing me for illegal macros). The button above the hat is auto run.

Took me about a week of wiping in sarth 3d to get it down. Now I can't play without it. I've had it for a year and there is only a bit of wear on the devastate button. 11/10

SteelSeries-World-of-Warcraft-MMO-Gaming-Mouse.jpg

I use the steel series MMO mouse, which is alright. I find the build quality isn't as high as it should've been; the finish is wearing off (and it's like a plastic sheet coating) which is irritating. The braided cord has worn through where the cord goes over the back of my desk, and as such it used to get caught till I stripped the braided sleeve off the cord. I've had it since Christmas. The "hat" buttons are more irritating then useful and as such they remain un-bound. The other side mount buttons aren't placed in as easy reach as I'd like. The "fins" on the side are irritating as hell. It took me about 15hrs of playing just to get used to moving the mouse. The software is a bit frustrating because I can't bind stuff the way I'd like so I just use bartender. All in all I wish I bought the mamba instead. (I prefer cordless mice) I'd grade it 5/10.
    Last edited by drae; 07-27-2010 at 09:39 AM.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

lol we need to move this into a diff thread we kinda hijacked it. post another one with that above post and we can chat about it cause i have some questions and stuff

This is for the benefit of everyone...

When should a macro be used instead of a unique keybinding?

1. When intelligent targeting is required.
    This is the common healer macro syntax which may involve mouseover or not.
    Code:
    /cast [@mouseover,help,nodead] [help,nodead] [@targettarget,help,nodead] [@player] Lifebloom
    You want the macro to decide what to cast the ability, in this case Lifebloom on, based on the conditions. In this case, it will cast on your mouseover if it is friendly, your current target, the target of your current target (boss tank healing), and lastly yourself if none of the other conditions are met. The ability in question does not change, however because we want it to use some intelligence in how it determines what to target this is a good example of when to use a macro.

2. When intelligent ability selection is required.
    The good example of this is the Charge/Intercept and Intervene case for a warrior. Functionally, these abilities serve a similar purpose, moving your character with some other effect. However, Charge/Intercept requires a hostile target, where as Intervene requires a friendly target. Because of this, we can write a macro with some intelligence to make a decision for us.
    Code:
    /cast [harm,nodead] Charge; [help,nodead] Intervene
    This is an simplistic example. If you are targeting a hostile unit, you want it to Charge. If you are targeting a friendly unit you want it to Intervene. The ability is chosen based on your situation. The addition of a modifier to the macro to add the third ability, Intercept, is acceptable because the fact that is is already combined with Intervene and requires intelligent selection means it was already correct to use a macro to accomplish the task. Intelligence in choosing the ability also includes anything that may be a castsequence, the intelligence there is where you are in the order. On a different note, Intervene would in some ways also make sense to be combined with Vigilence as both these abilities can be used to lower threat of the target. Because of similarities between abilities we would group them together, but which similarlarities we decide are up to the individual.

3. When the macro is a script to serve a function, or involves a script.
    A combinitation of script with a cast, this macro will cast Innervate but also whisper the target how much mana they will gain from Innervate (nice little macro for a druid while leveling so you always know how much mana you will gain from Innervate).
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast Innervate
    /run local p,v p="player" v=math.floor((UnitPowerMax(p,0)-20-(UnitStat(p,4)-20)*15)*2.25) SendChatMessage("Innervated. "..v.." mana in 10s.","whisper",nil,UnitName("target"))
    Another example of when a macro can be useful as just a script, my loot iteration macro (also posted in my TankSpot Blog).
    Code:
    /run if GetNumRaidMembers()>0 then c="raid" j=0 for i=1,GetNumLootItems() do _,_,q=GetLootSlotInfo(i) if q>0 then if j==0 then SendChatMessage("==LOOT LIST==",c) j=1 end m=GetLootSlotLink(i) if q>1 then m=m.."x"..q end SendChatMessage(m,c) end end end
    4. When using multiple abilities with a single key press.
    The "oh <insert explicative> button" is a good example of this to pop all trinkets and survival abilities that aren't on the GCD (and possably one ability that is on the GCD) simultaneously so save your butt. Such as:
    Code:
    /use 13
    /use 14
    /cast Barkskin
    /cast [stance:1,2] Survival Instincts; Dire Bear Form
    /cast Lifeblood
    Another good example of this is the Nature's Swiftness, which makes a non-instant ability instant. Because Nature's Swiftness itself doesn't activate the GCD, it can be combined with the ability you want to use with it such as:
    Code:
    /cast Nature's Swiftness
    /cast Healing Touch

These are the four conditions in which using a macro is ideal. Generally speaking, if the only thing you are doing with a macro is adding additional abilities to it through the use of modifiers, that should be done with key bindings instead. In the cast of Intercept/Charge, since that could be grouped with Intervene and meet the second criteria (intelligent target selection), it is quite acceptable to use a modifier to add the additional ability.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 07-27-2010 at 10:10 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    When should a macro be used instead of a keybinding?
    I take my macros, and put them on keybindings =D
    Last edited by kungfugrip; 07-27-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiesty View Post
    I take my macros, and put them on keybindings =D
    Yes. What I meant more by it is what type of things you would do with macros rather than giving them "unique" key bindings.

For example, you wouldn't bind "1" to Lifebloom on your mouseover and "2" to Lifebloom on your current target and "3" to Lifebloom on the target of target... You would create a macro to do the intelligent target selection for you instead of having multiple bindings. You would still need to assign the macro to at least one key bind, but you do not need to create 5 key binds to do one function. I'll correct the original post to include "unique" in the wording.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

On indeed, yes that's what I do, I put all the situationals in one button/keybinding. /agree

I think the only macros I have are mostly charge-related. I have one that does charge>else intercept, one that does the same plus taunt, one that includes intervene, and one that is charge/change stances and intercept (used to have a combat modifier when intercept required you to be in combat (liked that) and bloodrage put you in combat)

ok thanx for the responses. I'm gathering that simple warrior macro's are a no-no unlike the DK's runestrike.

can a mod clean this up please, moved all the hardware and keybindings talk into another thread in the appropriate forum. thanks!

uglie, sorry to stray off topic

Quote Originally Posted by torn glory View Post
    can a mod clean this up please, moved all the hardware and keybindings talk into another thread in the appropriate forum. thanks!

uglie, sorry to stray off topic
    You know, it's really on-topic because keybinds and hardware are directly related.

but this thread was about macros not keybindings haha i strayed to keybindings from the macros and then we all got off on this tangent haha

btw check the new thread i posted under the tech area

(don't worry about it this thread will be buried in a few days anyway)

(don't worry about it this thread will be buried in a few days anyway)

updated that focus macro from before

I'm gathering that simple warrior macro's are a no-no unlike the DK's runestrike.
    Not true actually. I use the 'dominos' toolbar mod and one of the features of it is that I can change my active toolbars with a single button. Thus, when I find myself in an endless rage situation, such as a boss. I active an alternate toolbar that's a clone of my primary (same bindings/layout, etc) except with heroic strike macroed onto my threat talents.

It cuts down on the tedious heroic strike spam requirements.

+ Reply to Thread