+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heirloom - Weapon vs Armor...

Heirloom - Weapon vs Armor...

Okay, I got in a pretty heated debate today with this guy on my server who criticized my choice of heirloom. I have only one heirloom & will not be buying any others for this toon. My choices were the shoulders, chest, or weapon. I bought the weapon. I am leveling a prot warrior though the LFD tool. Here's why:

1) A weapon upgrade for a prot warrior (especially at low levels) is a big deal. It generates more rage & allows for more DPS.

2) Replacing a weapon every level is more costly than replacing a chest or shoulder.

3) A 10% DPS increase means you are killing mobs 10% faster and thus gaining a 10% increase to XP (when grinding or running dungeons). Furthermore, the increase I gain in DPS is probably much more than 10%.

So, why is this guy raging that I bought a "worthless heirloom"?

You chose differently from him. That gave him two options :
    1)Question his own decisions.
    2)Berate you for yours.

You see, if you can be convinced that you are wrong, then clearly he was right and his game derived self worth is no longer in danger.

Really, as long as you didn't pick a Spellpower item you didn't screw up.

If you don't want to go nuts on buying heirlooms, I would have picked chest and shoulders. This is because these pieces accelerate XP gained, and the whole point of heirlooms is to get you out of them ASAP. Nothing does that more than getting faster XP.

Having said that, anybody criticizing heirlooms is a total idiot. I mean, it's a vehicle to help out, but most people like me did just fine 8 toons without them, what difference does it make if you even have any?

Weapon hands down.

While the shoulder and armor pieces may generate more xp, I can almost guarantee that the weapon will ensure you quest/kill so much faster that it makes up for the difference.

Anyone raging over someone elses choices is an idiot, by the way. As long as your choices don't affect him, he can disagree and try to convince you, but raging over it is a far too emotional reaction. I generally try to ignore idiots (or turn them into entertainment), so don't worry about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

For a warrior, there is really no choice but to get the heirloom weapons. Warriors are very gear dependent, especially because of the rage mechanic, and a warrior running around with a Bloodied Arcanite Reaper with crusader enchant just owns SO HARD. Especially because, as a warrior who can't heal themselves, that heal is very valuable (assuming you put Crusader on it, but you'd be crazy NOT to). And the massive damage of the axe means you will never be rage starved.

On a caster, I would go for whatever has the most stats, whether it's chest or staff. On a warrior or paladin I would definitely get the Reaper first. For my hunter I got the gun first. For a druid I would get whatever has the most stats that you want.

I really believe that if you compare, you will get a lot more xp out of the armor. The bonus applies to EVERYTHING including quest turn ins, exploration xp, and pvp xp. However, the weapon is probably more impactful to playstyle for lack of a better term due to the rage mechanics. In the end, it's just up to you whether quality of life or most xp is more important. He had different priorities and it's the Internet so he decided to be a douche about it.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

I couldn't decide so I got them all. Even got the PvP ones too. Looking forward to trying out every weapon spec on my rogue when I level him up (plus he'll have the nice ranged weapon to boot). Or using the Reaper + sword in my warrior's titan grip. Heirloom items are the best thing to ever happen to an altaholic like me.

If i had to pick only one it would be a Weapon on a warrior.

Not enough rage
    Not enough rage
    Not enough rage
    Not enough rage
    Not enough rage
    Not enough rage

Tanking through your levels via LFD tool, you will get more threat from a lvl current weapon than anything else. As a tank you can instantly run dungeons to your liking so getting gear that you want out of them is only restricted by your patience.

Which heirloom weapon did you get?

If you got the two handed weapon you are sacrificing survivablity for threat since you can't equip a shield and you are losing out on the opportunity to have a blue armor piece that scales with your level (either shoulders or chest). This could put more stress on a healer hence some complaints.

However if you went with the one handed weapon you can still equip a shield and the tradeoff of survivability versus threat is pretty minimal especially if you are leveing through LFD which means you will be picking up a lot of blue items along the way.

This also may be a perception problem in that warriors are expected to tank with a one hander and shield even though it is possible to tank with a two hander (if you know what you are doing) until you get to the Outlands or possibly even Northrend.

TBH I would have gone with the chest, for a ton of reasons.

- 10% more experience is 10% more experience.

- You say you're levelling as Prot, through LFD - so your DPS isn't gonna be that critical, and losing some isn't a big deal.

- The vast majority of your rage generation will be through getting hit/shield mastery, not through your white attacks. If you're having rage issues, max out shield mastery, pull bigger and use Shield Block more often.

- The stats and survivability boost from the heirloom chest are nice, plus the standard +100 HP enchant is very nice for a lowby tank and cheap to boot. As opposed to Crusader, which is a lot more expensive thanks to Righteous Orbs.

You can of course tank with a 2hander, but I find the problem there is that healers without heirlooms struggle with mana and you actually go slower thanks to having to wait for them to drink.

on my druid tank that i am leveling in the exact same manor i chose to get all three heirlooms, and i must say it is OP! lol but for my warrior main, if i were to relevel as a prot, i think i would chose the PvE Wep, just like you did, number one, it doesnt take usage damage(cheeper to maintain) generates a pile of rage(so very needed) and you dont have to worry about leveling all three different wep classes as you upgrade to different wep types (one-H axe, mace and sword)

and just as many above posters said, its your car, you drive it how you like,

if only blizz made an heirloom shield *dreams*

I would have gone chest or shoulders personally just for the added XP. Since your levelling prot you'll probably be tanking dungeons a lot so DPS isn't going to be a huge issue for you. You'll get groups fairly quickly so you'll be able to do more dungeons in the same amount of time as a dps would so you should find it easy to pick up weapon upgrades along the way.

If you plan to level this character through cataclysm, I recommend nabbing the heirloom chest and shoulders, combine those with the weapon and its like 35% increased exp. I have personally purchased both 1h swords, the 2h mace, the 2h axe, the 2h staff, the 1h caster mace, 2 spellpower trinkets, 2 haste trinket, plate chest/shoulders, leather chest/shoulders, cloth chest/shoulders, and mail chest/shoulders all for dps/healing. Heh i guess I purchased every available heirloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Khilbron View Post
    If you plan to level this character through cataclysm, I recommend nabbing the heirloom chest and shoulders, combine those with the weapon and its like 35% increased exp. I have personally purchased both 1h swords, the 2h mace, the 2h axe, the 2h staff, the 1h caster mace, 2 spellpower trinkets, 2 haste trinket, plate chest/shoulders, leather chest/shoulders, cloth chest/shoulders, and mail chest/shoulders all for dps/healing. Heh i guess I purchased every available heirloom.
    You do realize those will be disabled for Cataclysm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

As it stands, I believe they work 1-80 in cata but not for 81-85.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

Quote Originally Posted by sifuedition View Post
    As it stands, I believe they work 1-80 in cata but not for 81-85.
    That's my understanding as well. They'll be good for all current content but the bonus will stop kicking in once you pass 80.

+ Reply to Thread