+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The BFF Report -- OnLive

The BFF Report -- OnLive

Click here for more episodes of the BFF Report!
    Check out Mike and Zam on Twitter!
    Subscribe to Mike's YouTube channel for regular updates.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    OnLive is a neat thing but it is really gonna need work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

It needs alot of work. Those latencies are far too high for fast paced games like FPS and racing games. It's good news that its possible for users of non gaming PC's and those that can't afford them of course, but for the real gamers out there its not going to work.
    There is also the problem of what this company is going to do when it gets popular (it will). Will you have to queue to play a game because all the hardware is taken? I can see it now.

The bandwidth usage is far more devastating than the latency issues. OnLive is going to be hated by just about every ISP out there, and most people are capped in their usage in the fine print, it's just that you almost never run into the cap. You definitely will with this, if you're using it for any appreciable amount of time like a gamer would.

Yeah. Anybody who has BT as their ISP in the UK would hit their 100GB FUP limit (presuming option 3, unlimited customer!) on 80 minutes of play a day. That's not counting in other internet usage either. Barely worth paying for!

Yep, well if your a millionaire. You might afford keeping that service at this point online each time you play. Surely ill hand up, its a good idea that needs some working. But s##*****************t I wouldnt pay for that anything.

mikeb, never fails to bring the laughs.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

In Australia, every single ISP has a download limit...

It's definitely not going to work here.

I saw this thing being designed two years ago, they said it was gonna be an actual console back then and would play they very latest , graphically hard games like crysis, all maxed out settings at high res. They talked about huge latency issues then which seem fixed, but, theres no where near as many games as theres suppsosed to be, not at the correct settings and it on PC now instead.

Reading the website sounds like the actual console is still in development and this pc version is like a trial run, hence the free for a year thing and low res, small amount of games. If they can do what they wanted two years ago, this machine will blow out all existing consoles out the park if its marketed right, since it will be so much cheaper, better and easier.

Most people who buy this thing will have good internet so dont see that being a huge issues, but we defo need to pressure all internet companies to stop this fair usage policy bs, thats what spoils stuff.
    "Gnoma Brasi sleeps withs the murlocs"

OnLive

This is definitely the future and sounds like all kinds of awesome. Just like movies TV shows etc it has evolved from cartridge/vhs to CD/DVD based content to online streaming. However I will echo what pretty much everyone else is saying...

This is just not plausible right now. The US congress, RIAA, ISPs etc are still bickering over whether or not net neutrality is a good idea, and ISPs simply aren't spending time and money to get basic network upgrades in place. Maybe in Japan where the network is insane and can support millions of people in dense areas pulling off consistent 1000Mb/s (where the US can pull off like 8 for average 'hi-speed' unless you pay ridiculous sums of money for T1+ connections).

One additional thing that would bother me is that you wouldn't own anything. You would have access to many more games for the fee that you pay but I kind of like have a physical thing which I have control over. It is this reason that I won't buy digital music or movies... what happens if I but a new computer or in the case of onlive what happens if they discontinue carrying a particular game that I would like to go back and play?

On the whole, I really hope that they keep pushing the envelope. I hope that this stays around and they can use the concept to put pressure on ISPs to finally upgrade networks or in some way reduce prices on real net connections. When they pull this off I will certainly be the first person to jump on board.

Waaaaaaaaaay too demanding on the uploading. This won't work unless they severely fix this problem, and there ain't much you can do about fixing said problem.

Not something I personally would look at.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Enjoyed the report as always. But {online games + latency} NE {profit}

Quote Originally Posted by Krays View Post
    Most people who buy this thing will have good internet so dont see that being a huge issues, but we defo need to pressure all internet companies to stop this fair usage policy bs, thats what spoils stuff.
    Most people don't have the sort of internet they'll need to do this and other things they'd like to do, trust me. This would be a very small, niche market at best.

The problem is that, ISPs, at least in the US, haven't invested in the proper infrastructure to support higher allowances of bandwidth per person that something like this would require. People haven't really needed it before, and they were fine charging people more and more for, practically, the same level of internet.

In order for the ISPs to cater in this next-generation of internet usage, they would need to spend quite a bit of money upgrading their own infrastructure, and it's hard to part a rich man with his money.

Quote Originally Posted by Terae View Post
    In Australia, every single ISP has a download limit...

It's definitely not going to work here.
    Even without download limits, there would be too much latency for this to be viable down here in Aus.

Though I think it is still a good idea, and will gain popularity when there's an infrastructure that can support it.
    Last edited by daedalus_au; 07-24-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typo's

+ Reply to Thread