+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heirloom Gear

Heirloom Gear

I am leveling a prot warrior (primarily via LFD) and wanted to get some feedback on the heirloom gear. Should I get the PvP gear (shoulders and weapon) that has resilience or stick with the PvE gear?

My guess is that the PvE gear will provide for better threat but the PvP gear will provide slightly better survivablility.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
    thanks

Res is being changed to not provide pve benefits, so I would make your choice as if res wasn't on the gear at all.
    I'm so tanky I get up at 5:40 in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Smaken View Post
    Res is being changed to not provide pve benefits, so I would make your choice as if res wasn't on the gear at all.
    In Wotlk it will still reduce critability. It's actually better than defense for that sole purpose (though it doesn't have any of the other PvP benefits). In Cata it won't have any PvE benefits iirc.

The PvP gear may also have more stamina? I can't remember. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference one way or the other.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Yeah while levelling just having a current level blue equivalent will make you OP regardless of which one you get. I personally have all PvP shoulders and weapons and all PvE chests and trinkets. Was just the most efficient way for me to stack up all the heirloom stuff.

Heirloom Gear

If you will PvP, get the pvp gear. Otherwise, get the PvE gear. Until Northrend, defense and resil gear are rare. You will not be crit immune and crits are not as lethal. You need BC raid gear to really reach crit immune and you could be leveling in Northrend by that point.

Do your healers a favor though, before you run your first UK, be in the full cobalt crafted set unless you have some really good slots from BC.

My warrior did that and got the three tanking upgrades from there + Nexus (boots, hands, shoulders) and I just had a healer in Nexus say "Damn, he takes NO damage!"

If you continue to use the heirlooms in Northrend normals, you can still succeed, however, you are putting more of your survivability in the hands of the skill and gear of your PuG healer. I chose to control my survivability as much as possible. I prefer to know I am crit immune when Ingvar does his Smash rather than hoping the healer can top me off and not get silenced by deafening roar.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

The pvp ones can be bought with honour, which is really easy. The pve ones require badges, which depending on your progress, you might have a metric ton to spare (once you use frost badges to get stuff, triumphs pile up). I would recommend pve, and use pvp to back fill anything you don't get with badges. Look at each piece, sometimes the pvp ones provided better alternatives beyond just stamina.

The PvP heirlooms are bought with Stone Keeper's Shards, not honor. While the rate at which you can gain shards is faster, the actual cost of the items is significantly higher as well. You gain 4 Stone Keeper's Shards per Emblem drop in a heroic, provided you control Wintergrasp. You can gain Emblems anytime, you can only gain Stone Keeper's Shards while Wintergrasp is controled or by doing the weekly quests in Wintergrasp which cap at 50 Stone Keeper's Shards per week.

A PvE two handed weapon costs 65 Emblems.
    A PvP two handed weapon costs 350 Stone Keeper's Shards.

65*4 = 260

In the time you can earn enough emblems to buy a PvE weapon, you've only earned enough Stone Keeper's Shards to to cover about 74% of the cost of a PvP weapon.

The time it actually takes to buy the PvP pieces will actually be longer than the time it takes to buy the PvE pieces.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 07-21-2010 at 08:10 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Thanks everyone for your responses, it looks like I will be going with the heirloom PvE shoulders and weapon to accompany the PvE chestplate and trinket.

While it appears there may be some benefit to having a little resilience at the end of the day unless I plan on PvP'ing it wouldn't be significant enough to factor in to my decision, especially since the benefit is likely to go away when Cata drops.

In addition this will be my fourth tank (second warrior) but the only toon in which I was in a position to utilize shards and emblems to buy heirloom items. I'm creating this toon to see what the Horde side is like before Cata drops so I am only really concerned with leveling through the vanilla content,

however;

as stated in a post above I also highly recommend dropping the heirloom items when you ding 70 and picking up the complete set of cobalt tanking items unless you have a good tanking set from BC.

Sorry if i seem confused here. From what i get out of what you said in your last post, this is your first horde character. If your getting heirloom items, i am not sure how your going to get them to your horde character, unless you plan on doing a faction change just so you can get the heirloom items from your Alliance character to your new Horde warrior.

Or is there some other way of faction swapping heirloom items that i am not aware of. Please say there is

As of patch 3.3 you can mail heirloom items, which are bind to account, to characters of the opposite faction just as long as they are on the same account and on the same realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nereel View Post
    As of patch 3.3 you can mail heirloom items, which are bind to account, to characters of the opposite faction just as long as they are on the same account and on the same realm.
    Ah, was not aware of that. /moves rock and finally crawls out...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    The PvP heirlooms are bought with Stone Keeper's Shards, not honor. While the rate at which you can gain shards is faster, the actual cost of the items is significantly higher as well. You gain 4 Stone Keeper's Shards per Emblem drop in a heroic, provided you control Wintergrasp. You can gain Emblems anytime, you can only gain Stone Keeper's Shards while Wintergrasp is controled or by doing the weekly quests in Wintergrasp which cap at 50 Stone Keeper's Shards per week.

A PvE two handed weapon costs 65 Emblems.
    A PvP two handed weapon costs 350 Stone Keeper's Shards.

65*4 = 260

In the time you can earn enough emblems to buy a PvE weapon, you've only earned enough Stone Keeper's Shards to to cover about 74% of the cost of a PvP weapon.

The time it actually takes to buy the PvP pieces will actually be longer than the time it takes to buy the PvE pieces.
    That's assuming that you don't have anything else you need to do with those triumphs, like buying gear, getting offspec gear, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Errvalunia View Post
    That's assuming that you don't have anything else you need to do with those triumphs, like buying gear, getting offspec gear, etc.
    That's also assuming you don't have anything else to do with your Stone Keeper's Shards. The door swings both ways. It's a given that heirloom gear is obtained after everything else.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Hmm.

300 shards = 10000 honour = epic gem = gold.

There's *always* something to do with your shards.

Quote Originally Posted by Metasynaptic View Post
    Hmm.

300 shards = 10000 honour = epic gem = gold.

There's *always* something to do with your shards.
    yes but one dungeon =20 minutes give or take ( i pride myself on 15 minute speed runs now adays though)

+ Reply to Thread