Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ICC LK Safeguard Method Video?

ICC LK Safeguard Method Video?

I'm just wondering if there is a video of this method being used, I'm considering to try it out for both 10 and 25 man version of LK.

I've read about it on Vene's blog and it seemed really interesting.

uh, just have your warrior spam devastate on the LK. when soul reaper timer is almost up, move a bit away and cast it on the MT when the debuff appears.

Yeah but I'm having a hard time convincing my guild to use that strat, one of my healers say that they are more accustomed to doing the Tank swap method. And they also bring up things like what if Im unable to Intervene or what if one of the Healers is grabbed by a valk etc (but that is easy to fix..)

I don't think they understand the value of a 30% dmg reduction D=

I suppose I could talk about it with the tank officer in my guild and see if he is interested.

We've used Safeguard successfully for our (admittedly limited) kills. A DK tanks the LK, and I tank ghouls and horrors, stun Valks, stay out of defile, grab Vile Spirits, whatever is needed down the stretch. Sometimes a defile will make it impossible to Intervene. When that happens I say something on Vent and the DK will use a CD or the healers will. We've had few problems from Soul Reaper doing it this way. Tank deaths tend to happen when people fail inside of Frostmourne, though that can be avoided with taunt pingpong.

What you will need to watch out for with the Safeguard method is the LK tank's threat. You knock off 10 percent every intervene, which can get dicey, especially if you're stupid and forget to take off the Vigilance you placed for Phase 1. Also, I'm curious about how the escalating zone buff affects threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitochi View Post
    Yeah but I'm having a hard time convincing my guild to use that strat, one of my healers say that they are more accustomed to doing the Tank swap method. And they also bring up things like what if Im unable to Intervene or what if one of the Healers is grabbed by a valk etc (but that is easy to fix..)

I don't think they understand the value of a 30% dmg reduction D=

I suppose I could talk about it with the tank officer in my guild and see if he is interested.
    Safeguard is a guaranteed 1 hit avoidance and 30% less damage for 6 seconds, it's basically an extra pain suppression. It makes the tank and healer's job simpler, you don't need a video to show it's viable, because the only thing that differs is the numbers.

It's not always that simple, it does take a little practice. Just a few things to be aware of:
    - Intervene has a minimum range and a max range. Good communication between the tanks and awareness of relative position sorts this out.
    - Defile can get in the way. If that happens, taunt and have the other tank taunt back.
    - 10% threat reduction each time does add up. Probably doesn't matter if your rogues/hunters are continuing to transfer threat, or if the MT is pushing good threat, but you should be aware and be cautious.

As long as both tanks are competent, communicating and the raid knows what's going on, it's pretty neat way of handling the fight. We used it for our early 25LK normal kills, although we've also done taunting too and don't have a problem with either. Normal LK with a 20% buff, soul reaper doesn't look quite as scary...

We just got our first LK 25 normal kill on Monday (day before the 20% buff) with a 15% buff.

I solo tanked LK, no tank swaps, and no intervenes from the OT.

I used the 264 4PC. Helm/Shoulders/Gloves/Legs (due to expertise dropping to low if I were to use the chest, cause the dam Val 25 boots wont drop).

For glyphs I used:
    Taunt - For raging spirit pickups
    LS - 2 min CD
    SW - 2 min CD

My CD rotation for LK Soul Reapers which come every 30 sec starting in phase 2:
    0 sec: Shield Wall + Corroded Skeleton Key
    30 sec: 4PC + Shield Block
    1 min: Last Stand + Enraged Regeneration
    1min 30 sec: 4PC + Shield Block
    == Repeat ==
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

http://vimeo.com/11509915

There's me doing it with my guild, including my power auras icon whenever the tank got soul reaper.

Well I guess it is true that with each buff increase Soul Reaper doesn't hurt as bad so long as I have some sort of cooldown being used when I'm on phase 2 and 3 whenever we do a tank swap that is.

Thx for the video pancake.

Question for Boda I notice you use the survivability setup for glyphs, I've almost the same setup cept I use blocking instead of LS but I've been considering it seeing as its nice to have two 2min cooldowns. Is there any reason to give up blocking for LS?

Question for Boda I notice you use the survivability setup for glyphs, I've almost the same setup cept I use blocking instead of LS but I've been considering it seeing as its nice to have two 2min cooldowns.
    Right I have the LS and SW glyph for 2 min CD's its what makes my CD rotation work to eat the Soul Reapers, without those glyphs I would need external CDs mixed in. I just chose to put it in my hands so I could count on controlling the situation.

1st Soul Reaper 0 sec: Shield Wall + Corroded Skeleton Key
    2nd Soul Reaper 30 sec: 4PC + Shield Block
    3rd Soul Reaper 1 min: Last Stand + Enraged Regeneration
    4th Soul Reaper 1min 30 sec: 4PC + Shield Block
    5th Soul reaper 2min: Shield Wall + Corroded Skeleton Key (This is where the repeat starts)

-Shield Wall (Glyphed) and Corroded Skeleton Key have the same CD. So available every 2 minutes.

-4PC has a 1 min CD and Shield Block has a 40 sec CD. So available every minute.

-Last Stand (Glyphed) has a 2 min CD and Enrage Regen a 3 min CD. So available every 2 minutes, with every other one having Enrage Regen available. I mix in my Satrina's Scarb on the "every other" I don't have Enrage Regen if I feel I need it.

I macro'd these combos together and tried my best to only use them on soul reapers. If you break the rotation it won't work. On our kill I had to bust a CD to stay alive during a period heals were running from defile which caused me to die on the next soul reaper with no external CDs available. Fortunately LK was at like 18% and the OT grabbed him quick. With half the raid dead and only one tank we managed to burn through the last 8% for a kill.

Not the cleanest, but in a race there is no points for style lol. We will try to refine and do better tho.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

I was considering to use a different trinket for LK myself, I use the Organ + Skelly Key setup which is nice but only if the Organ procs D:

My other trinket at disposal is Blackheart and the Yogg Trinket. I'm almost considering the Yogg Trinket (Parry boost Onuse) but it also provides me with 155 stam.

I might try your macro setup and see if it works for my next 25 LK attempt or even 10 man LK thats what I call a good CD rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by almightypancake View Post
    http://vimeo.com/11509915

There's me doing it with my guild, including my power auras icon whenever the tank got soul reaper.
    Oh btw do you happen to have the Power Aura String for the Soul Reaper? I remember finding one on another site but I forgot which one. But it should be easy to make?

Oh btw do you happen to have the Power Aura String for the Soul Reaper? I remember finding one on another site but I forgot which one. But it should be easy to make?
    I don't have it offhand, but it was easy to make. I would focus the offtank, then just set power auras to tell me when the Debuff Soul Reaper was on my focus. Then I had a /target focus /cast intervene /targetlasttarget macro.

I just posted a video on youtube of our guild first LK-25 normal kill. It's from my point of view using the Safeguard off tanking method

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vomEU3ar2cY

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srd6UFcLbnk
    Last edited by Healmeunoobs!; 07-29-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Eh, Soul Reaper aint really difficult to work with, lets say you have.. a death knight and a warrior, Death knights have a few coolodowns, Icebound Fortitude (kinda shieldwall like, I believe it have 2 minute cooldown) Anti Magic Shell, amazing for Soul Reaper and Vampiric Blood, which is also 2 minute cooldown if im correct.

Here is a few cooldowns, what I always do here, is have the other tank (i'm a paladin) tank the Lich King and I myself takes care of valks stuns. (Only 10mans for me though)

But if the tank tanking The Lich King runs out of cooldowns, you can do one of a few things:
    A) Do a tank swap once the main tank doesn't have cooldowns left, and the off-tank just tanks the lich king.
    B) Have your main tank call of an external Cooldown, Guardian Spirit, Hand of Sacrifise (awesome from a 70k HP prot paladin ), Pain Supression and whatever else you have.

I see no reason for the whole "Tank Swap method" as it basicly just adds more target switching for the healers, having em reapply dots and everything.

Yeah on 25 man we use a different strategy its not very clean still but it seemed to be highly effective.

Basically we have a 3rd tank (which is me lawl) but in Phase 2 I help out with valks by stunning them, especially if one of our rogues gets grabbed by a valk.

Phase 3 my main job is to soak up the vile spirits (cooldowns required of course) except I died so what ended up happening there is we had the OT or MT soak up the spirits whenever Soul Reaper is on CD. It seemed to work pretty well but it needs a lot of refining still.

I'm still trying to convince them to try out safeguard but no one wants to do it.

You don't need the safeguard method, every tank have atleast 3 cooldowns themself, you prolly run with atleast 4 paladins, each with a Hand of Sacrifise and most likely you have a disc priest or a holy priest for their cooldowns.

If a tank runs out of cooldowns, call for an external cooldown.

Actually we have 0 paladins per raid, there seems to be a weird curse going on...every paladin we've had or recruited has gone MIA lol We used to have like 3-4 per raid.

Safeguard is a money strat as long as your warrior tank is decent.

It's really easy as soul reaper has a decent timer before it blows up, like 3s iirc. Just focus your mt & make a power auras icon for when the MT has the debuff (focus - debuff - soul reaper). Mash the focus intervene macro. Have a hunter chain MD's into your tank. Win purplz.

We started with this strat. It took me 1 try to master. Occasionally you'll be out of range due to defile, or if your a little slow (reaction time wise) twice in a row intervene won't be up in time for the 3rd... then just tell the MT to use his own CD (if you don't catch soul reaper in the first half of the debuff timer twice in a row it's possible intervene won't be back up for the 3rd, depends on boss abilities - doesn't take long to recognize by pattern when this will occur).

The benefits to safeguard are simple and substantial... your tank has his own cooldowns to use as required... like when he has to move the boss... or when someone sucks at the sword.. or healers in defile.. or paladin gets picked up, or any of the other myriad of things that can go wrong to cause your tank to get blown up.

The only time it's really dangerous is when your tanking one of the spirits with the cone thingy... tell your MT to use a cooldown if the cone thingy hasn't gone off in the last 5s or so.

My intervene macro and a picture of my power auras set-up.

Code:
         #showtooltip Intervene
    /cast [taget:focus] Intervene
    The picture is my power auras set-up.
    Last edited by drae; 07-23-2010 at 04:48 AM.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by drae View Post
    The only time it's really dangerous is when your tanking one of the spirits with the cone thingy... tell your MT to use a cooldown if the cone thingy hasn't gone off in the last 5s or so.
    It's also bit dangerous if your offtank is also tasked with soaking in Vile Spirits in phase 3, especially on heroic mode.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU