+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guide: Destruction & You!

Guide: Destruction & You!

INTRODUCTION
    People generally don't read these, but hi! I'm a warlock. I've never written a guide before, so this may all be common sense and nothing new, but here's hoping it helps a couple people out. This guide assumes a few things:

- You, too, are a warlock, or would like to know how to play one.
    - You are currently raiding Icecrown Citadel, or really, really want to.
    - You can give constructive feedback if you find something outdated, incomplete, unclear, or just plain wrong.
    - You're hit capped. Seriously, hit is the most important thing ever. Without it, your spells miss, and you don't do damage.

Why destruction? Destruction is a high burst DPS specialization, which provides raid utility in the way of either replenishment or a targetable AOE stun, which is useful on some encounters. All three trees are raid viable, but destruction is by far the simplest to master and in my opinion, one of the most fun.

Last updated: 6:39 am, July 21st 2010.

TALENTS & GLYPHS
    There are a couple variations on the cookie-cutter destruction specs, some that pick up Shadowfury/replenishment and others that don't. In my experience, this is the most efficient way of picking up as many DPS and utility talents as possible including replenishment and Shadowfury.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#IZfM0h0hZVbGqdzuVsAfst

As far as glyphs go, the choices are straightforward:
    Glyph of Incinerate - +5% incinerate damage.
    Glyph of Conflagrate - no longer consumes immolate/shadowfire debuffs when casting Conflagrate.
    Glyph of Immolate - +10% immolate damage.

STATS
    As a note, I used the BIS setup and SimulationCraft for the scaling numbers. I understand that they may be different between Simcraft, spreadsheets, and Rawr.
    • 1. HIT - the single most important stat for any caster, especially warlocks. To have a spec that uses both Shadowfury and replenishment, you can't afford to waste points talenting for hit. For raids, you want to aim for 17%. Draenei provide their group with 1%, Shadow Priests and Moonkin Druids with Imp. FF provide a 3% hit debuff to mobs, which means ideally, you would gear for 13%.
    • 2. SPELLPOWER - you want a lot of this. Generally speaking, you can assume to gain 2.06 dps per point of spellpower, making it the best stat to gear and gem for. Unless a socket bonus is +7 or +9 spellpower, you want to shove red gems in your sockets once your meta is activated.
    • 3. HASTE - also, you want a lot of this. Again, generally speaking, 1 point of haste equals roughly 1.23 DPS, putting it behind spellpower but, obviously, not by much. This scaling is somewhat variable: the less haste you have, the more beneficial the stat is.

Without accounting for raid buffs (totems, bl/hero) the most haste you ever, ever, ever want to stack is 50%, or 1640 haste rating, at which point the GCD (global cooldown) and all 1.5-second cast times become 1 second. (Spells like Chaos Bolt with a longer cast time [2 seconds vs 1.5] won't be capped until you hit 100% haste) The GCD will never be less than 1 second, so any more haste is of very little value. That said, you don't want that much haste - Bloodlust/Heroism give you 30% haste for 40 seconds, while WoA totems give an extra 5%. Generally speaking, 1269 haste rating is the soft cap, at which point crit becomes a more viable stat, as evidenced by simcraft numbers.
    • 4. CRIT - the unsung hero of warlock stats! Crit does become more viable the better your gear gets, and with the current BIS (or near BIS, see below) you can expect 1.34 DPS per point of crate - very, very slightly more than you'd get from haste, but the spirit of min/maxing is, well, min/maxing, even if it's in the most minor of ways. As a note, unless you're very, very low on haste (anything below 700 rating) you want to use firestones as destruction, which boost not only critical strike but direct damage by 1%.
    • 5. SPIRIT - while this is an important stat considering Fel Armor gains, t10 has very, very little spirit (tier gear has literally 0) as opposed to t9, where including it as go-to stat was viable. Don't gear for it. Sadly, it isn't worth it, and now that Life Tap is based on spellpower, you won't notice any negative effects re: mana regen because of it.
    SPELL COEFFICIENTS
    Curse of Agony - 120%

Curse of Doom - 200%

Immolate - 20% per tick, 20% direct damage, 120% total (No glyph)

Incinerate - 71.43% BUT 91.43% W/ Shadow and Flame (No glyph)
    Chaos Bolt - 71.42% (85.71% W/ Shadow and Flame
    Conflgarate - N/A. No gains from spellpower.

GEAR
    http://www.wowhead.com/profile=21541384 - current BIS, assuming professions of JC/tailoring, and that LK hardmode weapons are unavailable. HM-Halion is also pretty difficult, and will be out of most guilds' reach for some time, so I'm not including his gear, either.

STAMINA/HP - 1527/22.9k
    INTELLECT/MP - 1578/28k

SPELLPOWER - 3387 (unbuffed)
    CRIT - 36%/1107 rating
    HASTE - 37%/1216 rating
    HIT - 13%/429 rating

A note on trinkets
    For destruction, Phylactery of the Nameless Lich (264) looks appealing, but if you're fortunate enough to have either of Anub's trinkets (Reign, heroic or normal), you'd be better off using it over the normal-mode Phylactery until you can upgrade to the heroic version. Not only does it provide a flat spellpower bonus, it's proc is increased by destruction fire talents. There's a greater discussion on this in the comments, which I'll move here to prevent endless scrolling and skimming.

Until 1200+ haste, I believe Reign is a superior trinket to PNL not only because of the proc, but the spellpower as well. Without having most of ICC on farm, it's actually not that easy to get up to that level of haste. The 251 tier set, if you were to wear all five pieces of it, provides 223 haste rating and 422 critical strike rating while the crafted legs (108 rating) and badge belt (80 rating) provide a total of 421 haste rating in total. (There is no haste on the legs or gloves, so they're a good choice for offset.) That's roughly a third of the haste rating required to hit soft cap, at which point crit becomes a more desirable stat and the PNL definitely pulls ahead.

I'm assuming that anyone who skims this guide is likely new to the class or spec, or perhaps new to Icecrown in general, meaning that they don't have access to heroic versions of the best gear out there. I understand that Anub'arak and Sindragosa are both challenging bosses in their own right, someone who has killed Sindragosa likely has access to better gear, and so on. Choosing the best trinket can be difficult because weighing flat stat gains (crit/haste/spellpower) AND procs should be done against someone's current gear and not randomly picked from a list, at least not until BIS is achieved.

I took a character with the following stats, and ran it through SimCraft with both Reign and PNL. The character was pulled from WoWhead's profiler, where I did a search for characters wearing at least 4 pieces of tier gear with at least the lower spire completed in ICC 25 - namely, average, not amazing, but not terrible either with room for growth and progression. Other than the trinkets, the only change I made was to fix the meta gem to a chaotic, instead of 25SP 2% int, and to change the profile name.

http://www.wowhead.com/profile=21545154 - profile, low latency, 300 seconds, 1000 iterations.
    NMIC/MMQ: 9154 dps
    Reign(245)/MMQ: 9470 dps
    PNL(264)/MMQ: 9463 dps

Obviously, it's a small difference, but in lesser gear Reign pulls ahead, even just slightly. I ran these sims a few times to confirm, and out of the three other times I ran them with the exact same settings, PNL did come out on top, once, by a gain of 4 dps. Again, it likely depends more on what your stats/gear are like than a hard and fast this is better than that, and I apologize for making it sound otherwise. Characters at the 1200 haste mark will certainly want PNL over Reign. I did some more digging and found this post on EJ, which details the DPS gains one player found while running his own character (who is much closer to the haste soft cap) which I also found insightful: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t38030-t...6/#post1578332
    PROFESSIONS
    The best combination for a warlock is tailoring/JC. Aside from gathering professions, you can get something good out of all of them, though.
    • Tailoring - by far the best profession for a warlock. Not only does it provide really cheap leg enchants, Lightweave Embroidery is one of the strongest profession enchants in game. It gives you 295 spellpower for 15 seconds, with a 45 second ICD, which translates into a passive 74 spellpower bonus.
    • JC - Runed dragon's eyes, while no longer prismatic, give 48 more spellpower total than 3 runed cardinal rubies. (23 spellpower each)
    • Leatherworking - Profession-specific fur lining provides a bracer enchant that is a 46 spellpower gain. (76 spellpower to bracers)
    • Enchanting - Ring enchants provide an extra 46 spellpower.
    • Blacksmithing - Adds extra sockets to bracers and gloves, which when socketed with epic gems (runed cardinal rubies) provides a 46 spellpower gain.
    • Inscription - Improved shoulder enchant provides a 46 spellpower gain over the exalted Hodir enchant. (24 spellpower from Hodir exalted)
    • Alchemy - Increases the effectiveness of Flask of the Frost Wyrm by 47 sp, and doubles the duration.
    • Engineering - 27 spellpower to cloak, which is pretty good provided you're not a tailor, as well as Hyperspeed Accelerators, which provide 340 haste for 12 second every minute. This works out to a passive haste bonus of 68 haste, and with the changes to the profession come cataclysm, it could very well be the new must have profession.

SPELL PRIORITY
    Destruction warlocks don't have a rotation. They have a spell priority, which varies very little and is more of a "if this, do this" rather than a static rotation. Keybinding (vs) clicking helps quite a bit, and you may want to take a look at the next section about add-ons to help you keep track of cooldowns and debuff timers. Also, summon your imp. I hope that'd be obvious, with talents like Empowered Imp, but hey, you never know.
    1. Curse of Doom
    2. Immolate
    3. Chaos Bolt
    4. Conflagrate
    5. Incinerate (filler)

Let's assume a Patchwerk-style encounter, which involves little movement and no adds. On the pull, before you engage the boss in combat, you can use a Potion of Speed for that extra boost and the ability to potion a second time while in combat. When you're trying to maximize your DPS output, I highly recommend it.

While moving into position, or while the tank is turning the boss, throw up your Curse of Doom, and follow it up with an Immolate, which will allow you to use Conflag once the GCD expires. Instead of waiting around for that second and a half, cast Chaos Bolt, and then follow it up with Conflag. Incinerate is your filler spell - spam this until one of the following happens: a) Immolate expires, b) Chaos Bolt is no longer on cooldown, or c) Conflag is no longer on cooldown.

DoTs are your first priority: confirm that CoD is active*, and that Immolate is ticking away. Immolate allows you to use Conflag, and it also increases the damage of your Incinerate spell. Don't clip them (casting before the spell has reached it's full duration), for maximum DPS. For more information on DoT clipping, take a look at Quinafoi's post here: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...064#post419064

After that, use Conflag and Chaos Bolt on cooldown, use Incinerate as filler, and when appropriate, use Soul Shatter. Try to time your Life Taps with how long the boss will be alive: if he's at 10% and you're at 30% mana, it probably isn't worth the cooldown to gain that mana back when the boss will be dead shortly.

* CoD is more DPM than CoA, (200% spell coefficient vs a 120% coefficient) but when the boss won't be long enough for the duration to do the damage, don't hesitate to throw up CoA.

ENCOUNTER SPECIFICS
    -- WIP --

ICECROWN CITADEL
    Blood Princes
    Ranged Tanking - Not all guilds bother with ranged tanking Prince Keleseth anymore, but it's a fun task. While many other ranged classes can do it and do it well, warlocks have an advantage in that they have Demon Armor available to them as well as Soul Link and other talents that are too deep in demonology to be considered relevant to a destruction guide. Generally, you want to throw on whatever HP gear you have (ie: pvp gear) and downrank a spell like Corruption or COA to snag the nuclei without breaking them too quickly. Try and keep an eye out for kinetic orbs, and throw your pet on them whenever available. Keep your pet on passive to ensure that they won't move from the orb when the boss starts nuking you, and don't forget to use Shadow Ward, at least on normal mode if you out-range your healers initially.

(Hardmode) Don't jump. This isn't warlock-specific, but I love jumping and apparently that's the fastest way ever to build stacks. Don't do it!

The Lich King
    Demonic Circle - placed at the edge of the platform after the outer layer drops away, this allows a warlock to stay at max range and DPS despite boss movement. If/when you find yourself picked up by the val'kyr, portal as soon as they drop you - you'll appear at your portal on the edge of the platform, allowing the rest of the raid to focus on two adds instead of three.

RUBY SANCTUM - HALION
    Demonic Circle - Placed outside Halion's ring of fire it's useful on learning the encounter to save yourself a repair bill. Other than that, try and place it somewhere convenient for placement of combustion rings, or to avoid twilight cutters in the shadow realm.

ADD-ONS
    Add-ons, for the most part, are a matter of taste. I believe in keeping a very minimal interface, but some prefer graphical compilations - as long as you can run your UI smoothly and gather data about what's going on around you efficiently, there's no right or wrong way to set things up. As far as basics go, these are some of my favorites. (This is a major WIP)

EventHorizon (updated)
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...o.php?id=14878
    In my opinion, this is THE best DoT timer out there - it not only shows you what DoTs you have up and when the expire, but it shows you what you're currently casting, what DoTs you've clipped, and gaps between your spells as well. It can be difficult to get used to, and takes some practice to set up and to master, but it's an amazing add-on just the same.

ForteXorcist
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...teXorcist.html
    Another great DoTtimer, but it also has modules to track summons, shards, and soulstones as well. The timers not only allow you to view debuffs on your target, but debuffs on yourself, buffs on yourself, and cooldowns. It's incredibly customizable, and also includes a great cooldown bar for visual cooldown assessment.

Quartz
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...astingBar.html
    A casting bar replacement that shows latency in the bar, as well as support for interrupts. This is one of those basic add-ons that I think everyone has, and for good reason.

SIMCRAFT OUTPUT

Last edited by Lolia; 07-21-2010 at 06:52 AM.

You may have said this is your first guide and is the basics but bravo, you covered everything from simple raiding to everything a lock needs to know. EXCELLENT work.. i learned a few things that i either didn't know or didn't fully realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolia View Post

RUBY SANCTUM - HALION
    Demonic Circle - Placed outside Halion's ring of fire it's useful on learning the encounter to save yourself a repair bill. Other than that, try and place it somewhere convenient for placement of combustion rings, or to avoid twilight cutters in the shadow realm.
    I DO NOT APPROVE. *Shakes fist*

Also, the back enchant for eng is 27 SP not Haste.
    Last edited by Sky; 07-17-2010 at 11:23 PM.
    Con Brio is recruiting! Look within for details. www.conbrioguild.org
    Mage Guide Author
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...skies/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
    I DO NOT APPROVE. *Shakes fist*

Also, the back enchant for eng is 27 SP not Haste.
    HERP DERP, fixed that. Portals are amazing, do not hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_finished View Post
    You may have said this is your first guide and is the basics but bravo, you covered everything from simple raiding to everything a lock needs to know. EXCELLENT work.. i learned a few things that i either didn't know or didn't fully realize.
    Thank you! I'll be adding more once I have a bit more time, but this comment is awesomely encouraging.

Your haste soft cap is incorrect. 1620 haste rating is in fact 50% haste as you say, however, you fail to account for other haste effects. All haste modifiers stack multiplicatively.

1.5 = (1 + (Haste Rating / 3279)) * (1.03) * (1.05)
    Solve for Haste Rating
    Haste Rating = ((1.5 / (1.03 * 1.05)) - 1) * 3279
    Haste Rating = 1269

The Haste Soft Cap for a Warlock of your suggested spec is 1269.

Wrath of Air Totem grants 5% spell haste.
    Improved Moonkin Form or Swift Retribution grant 3% all haste.

The real reason why crit starts to overtake haste at around 1200 haste rating is because that's where the actual soft cap is.

You also recommend an addon that has not been maintained since 5/9/2009, that's over 14 months old and its been over 10 months since the author of the addon has canceled their account.

Reign of the Unliving/Undying is indeed a very strong trinket, however, the value of the trinket deminishes as haste increases because you lack the ability to chain proc stacks on successive crits. As such a trinket like Phylactery of the Nameless Lich (even the normal version) may overtake it. The reign can only proc stacks once every two seconds and once your primary nukes drop below two seconds in cast time the trinket's procing effect deminishes to roughly 60-70% it's value. Based on your own values set for spellpower and crit, Phylactery of the Nameless Lich will could overtake the Reign.

What are your sources for this information? You provide no references or calculations to support your claims.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 07-19-2010 at 09:07 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Also, the hard cap of haste is higher than 1620. A hard cap is where the stat no longer generates any value. On a single target rotation that is when all abilities reach a 1 second GCD minimum and are bound by the GCD. Chaos Bolt for instance is a 2.5 second cast time reduced to 2 seconds by the talents selected. As such, a hard cap on this ability is not reached until you have 100% haste. Therefore the hard cap of the methodology of the guide is significantly higher than 1620 haste rating.

A hard cap is when a stat ceases to generate any benefit at all. Hit for instance is such a stat. Hit beyond 17% does nothing against a unit that is only three levels higher than yourself. As such, the value of hit beyond the cap is zero. If haste hard cap was 1620, then it is being said that beyond 1620 haste has zero value. If the spell Chaos Bolt is used in your rotation, it does because...

2.0 / (1 + (1620 / 3279)) > 2.0 / (1 + (1621 / 3279)) > 1
    Since the cast time is still reduced of the ability, yet still greater than the GCD minimum of 1, then this ability still benefits from haste.

Please correct your terminology. A soft cap is a point where a stat decreases in value because some abilities in the given rotation no longer benefit from it. A hard cap is a point where as stat has no value because all abilities in a given rotation no longer benefit from it.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

All of my numbers were taken from using the most up to date versions of OptiGear, SimulationCraft, and the 3.3.5 spreadsheet that Cerula/Mahida posted over on EJ. I'm not sure if that's the username they want to be credited under, but we'll go with it. When I couldn't find the numbers I wanted from those sources or needed to confirm them, I checked EJ (which isn't infallible) and the wiki. Apologies for the incorrect terminology, I'll comb through and fix that ASAP. The math was actually what took me the longest in this post, and I found myself having to go back and re-do it constantly. The fact that mistakes still got through isn't wholly surprising, and it looks like I'll be spending a few more hours with my calculator tonight.

With the hard cap calculations, I tried to avoid factoring Chaos Bolt in because it is a spell with a cooldown that makes it difficult to, well, spam like incinerate, which has a significantly shorter cast time and serves as destruction's filler spell. Again, you're right about the terminology, I'll add it to the guide.

As far as EventHorizon is concerned, the mod is still solid and being updated, albeit by a different author. I'll update the link to reference to the "continued" version, as I thought it was on the original page where it unfortunately is not. (http://www.wowinterface.com/download...o.php?id=14878 should be the proper link!)

Until 1200+ haste, I believe Reign is a superior trinket to PNL not only because of the proc, but the spellpower as well. Without having most of ICC on farm, it's actually not that easy to get up to that level of haste. The 251 tier set, if you were to wear all five pieces of it, provides 223 haste rating and 422 critical strike rating while the crafted legs (108 rating) and badge belt (80 rating) provide a total of 421 haste rating in total. (There is no haste on the legs or gloves, so they're a good choice for offset.) That's roughly a third of the haste rating required to hit soft cap, at which point crit becomes a more desirable stat and the PNL definitely pulls ahead.

I'm assuming that anyone who skims this guide is likely new to the class or spec, or perhaps new to Icecrown in general, meaning that they don't have access to heroic versions of the best gear out there. I understand that Anub'arak and Sindragosa are both challenging bosses in their own right, someone who has killed Sindragosa likely has access to better gear, and so on. Choosing the best trinket can be difficult because weighing flat stat gains (crit/haste/spellpower) AND procs should be done against someone's current gear and not randomly picked from a list, at least not until BIS is achieved.

I took a character with the following stats, and ran it through SimCraft with both Reign and PNL. The character was pulled from WoWhead's profiler, where I did a search for characters wearing at least 4 pieces of tier gear with at least the lower spire completed in ICC 25 - namely, average, not amazing, but not terrible either with room for growth and progression. Other than the trinkets, the only change I made was to fix the meta gem to a chaotic, instead of 25SP 2% int, and to change the profile name.

http://www.wowhead.com/profile=21545154 - profile, low latency, 300 seconds, 1000 iterations.
    NMIC/MMQ: 9154 dps
    Reign(245)/MMQ: 9470 dps
    PNL(264)/MMQ: 9463 dps

Obviously, it's a small difference, but in lesser gear Reign pulls ahead, even just slightly. I ran these sims a few times to confirm, and out of the three other times I ran them with the exact same settings, PNL did come out on top, once, by a gain of 4 dps. Again, it likely depends more on what your stats/gear are like than a hard and fast this is better than that, and I apologize for making it sound otherwise. Characters at the 1200 haste mark will certainly want PNL over Reign. I did some more digging and found this post on EJ, which details the DPS gains one player found while running his own character (who is much closer to the haste soft cap) which I also found insightful: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t38030-t...6/#post1578332

Anyway, thanks for the comment! I'll work on getting everything polished up as soon as possible, which should be after tonight's raid.

Great info and I have already started regemming/reglyphing. My question would be how do I improve my AoE dps? My single target is usually near the top, but I fall behind on trash which is just annoying. Thanks.

Good beginner guide which focuses mostly on personal dps which is all well and good except for the fact that a lock has one essential way of improving raid dps through curse of elements which gets more important to have the more casters in your raid simply based. Granted this is based on what your raid is in need of as well. It should definitely be mentioned.

Well, thanks for the guide!! Healped me a lot! I found it great for your first. I just have one question tho. Why do you use curse of doom instead of curse of agony? doesnt agony give u a constant tick of damage instead of a certain amount after 1 min... unless im confusing curse of doom with soemhitng else?

What's the math behind glyph of life tap vs. glyph of immolate?

Also, I'm not entirely sure the rotation you list is correct. What I was told was that refreshing immolate early is good because you don't want it to be one of your backdraft procs, so essentially if conflag is coming back up and you have less than 5 seconds on immolate then you should refresh immolate because you won't be able to get off 3 incinerates before immolate runs out. Since incinerate is a long cast time over the course of the fight it's better to use conflag on incinerates than immolates because you'll end up casting more incinerates.

I did some training dummy testing but it was only 2 trial runs, one with clipping one without. The one with clipping was almost 600 DPS more than the one without, but this is also test dummies and subject to crit RNGs. Here's those results but does anyone have any other input on this or know where I could find a more definitive answer?

with clipping immolate in the above strategy:
    1:49:07 - 1:50:38, or 1 minute 31 seconds DPS time
    Total Damage: 634.0K (7044 DPS)
    Breakdown:
    Incinerate 341.4k dmg (53.9%) 21 hits, 16 crits
    Conflagrate 108.8k (17.2%) 11 hits, 20 crits
    Immolate 87.9k (13.9%) 20 hits, 15 crit
    Chaos Bolt 51.8k (8.2%) 3 hits, 2 crits (looks like I could tighten that up a bit though, heh)
    Firebolt 44.0k (6.9%) 38 hits, 3 crits

Then again without clipping my DoTs:
    1:53:01-1:54:37 so 1 minute 36 seconds dps time, only 5 seconds longer. I should get about 3 more spells out of those 5 seconds.
    Damage Done: 614.3k (6466.1 DPS)
    Breakdown:
    Incinerate: 328.5k (53.5%) 26 hit 13 crit
    Conflagurate: 102.5k (16.7%) 15 hit 17 crit
    Immolate: 80.4k (13.1%) 24 hit 11 crit
    Chaos bolt: 58.9k (9.6%) 4 hit 2 crit
    Firebolt: 44k (7.2%)
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I personally use glyph of life tap and glyph of chaos bolt. The bonus SP from Glyph of life tap is awesome. Glyph of chaos bolts for more chaos bolts and for me an easier rotation. The rotation i've found that works for me is life tap right before pull, CoE, Immolate, CB, conflag, spam incinerate til it's time to refresh immolate which at my current haste level is about 1.5 seconds before CB and conflag come off cd. Life tap when as needed to keep the buff from the glyph up. I view immolate like DK diseases. Immolate is there so you can use conflag and get some really fast incinerates.

I don't think you quite get what I'm saying.

Like if immolate has 4 seconds or less left when conflag comes off cooldown (which happens to me a lot) but you still conflag first since you're not wanting to clip the immolate DoT, then you end up using a backdraft proc on immolate and you only get 2 fast incinerates.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.

I'm auctually getting about a 600dps increase when i clip immolate. My standard burn rotation is Immolate, CB, conflag, incinerate x5 (with 3 of those incinerates using up backdraft). My immolate stands at a 1.25 second cast and when used with a backdraft proc goes to .875 second cast which is less than the gcd. So at about 1.25 seconds before conflag comes off cd i refresh my immolate then CB then conflag. Yes clipping of dots is usually a bad thing but from my test incinerate does most of my damage so getting more incinerates/ rotation will equal more damage/ dps.
    Just completed the weekly for XT. Incinerate was 53% of my damage vs 15% going to the immolate dot. Yes that was with immolate clipping.

For me it ends up clipping around 3 seconds to get more conflags in, total, but I also don't think I have as much haste as you, I figure if I get more I can sneak in 2 conflags per immolate and still get off 3x incenerates on backdraft

hmmm o.o iv never used curse of doom

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    For me it ends up clipping around 3 seconds to get more conflags in, total, but I also don't think I have as much haste as you, I figure if I get more I can sneak in 2 conflags per immolate and still get off 3x incenerates on backdraft
    currently i am running 661 (wtb 5 more haste). I'm trying to get my incinerate cast time down to as close to the gcd with backdraft. and that point i will start gemming straight SP in new sockets.

+ Reply to Thread