+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior - What to enchant on my weapon?

Warrior - What to enchant on my weapon?

Hi everyone, brand new here to Tankspot, and i was wondering if i could get some thoughts on what to enchant onto the one hand weapon, and any other gear improvements I can make to my gear,
    Heres my armory:http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Hombrebasura

Thanks in advanced for anyone who posts

i prefer blood draining or mongoose on my tank weapons. i use blood draining on my ardent guard and use it when i need some extra eh. and i have mongoose on my threat weapon which is marrowgar 10 heroic mace to give a little more threat via crit/haste as well as boost armor and dodge a tad.

you are over 263 hit which is the cap for non-duel weilding so really your 25 hit is going to waste.

whatever you do, never get blade ward. there are plenty of posts on here detailing why with the math behind it.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

It's preference.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ck-any-of-them

That is what they do, and a lot of discussion about the other enchants as well.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Long time reader, just started to post.
    There are a few discussion about it. I prefer to have different weapons depending on the fight. Currently i switch from black bruise with mongoose for dps fights. Bone-breaker scepter with blade warding for threat and normal going fights. Last-word with blood drain for those fights like lich king that just hit hard. There really isn't any tanking enchants that's supremely better then the other.

BD. That being said, it's kinda the freebe enchant because you can use what you need on it without any signficant trade off.

Glyph of Idom might be a slight EH drop (170 sta vs ~163 sta equivalent) but it will help flatten your damage intake a little, plus the on-use is has a random chance of being useful or not XD versus no chance for the Brewmaster's charm. Keep the charm though for magic intensive fights where armor isn't as valuable.

Gear - Others may be a bigger fan than I am, but I"d suggest the 245 head/shoulders triumph gear and putting at +Def/+Sta gem in the helm to activate the +12 sta bonus for the extra armor and stamina.

Chest - Replace the Def/Sta gem in your chest with pure stamina. +8 dodge is not worth hitting.

Hands - get rid of the hit gem and go pure Sta.

Never use the +10 stats gem. The tanking meta only needs 1 red gem to activate. You can find that on an item with a +12 or +9 sta bonus and throw +dodge/+Sta in that slot.

Really, gem wise, you should go +30 sta in every slot unless you're using your dodge/sta gem to activate your meta. (And if it's a +12 I'd hit +10 Def + 15 sta for a single yellow gem or +10 Dodge/+15 sta for fred - but that's the only time I'd hit yellow unless defense was needed).

As soon as you are more comfortable with your threat, drop the expertise gems for sta. And if you're going to go exp, go +10/15sta to hit a socket bonus.

Meta should be +Sta / + 2% armor value.

Shoulder enchant shoudl be PvP - +Sta / + Res

Cloak should be + 225 armor

You're leaving a good chunk of EH on the table.

In terms of Frosty gear, a good priority, based on current gear, would be Belt, Guantlets of Kraken, Cloak, Cataclymic Chestguard, T.251 Shoulders, T.251 helm.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    Chest - Replace the Def/Sta gem in your chest with pure stamina. +8 dodge is not worth hitting.
    Likely the reason the dodge gem is being used is to gain the meta socket bonus. As that was my issue. Depending on the meta socket, losing that one red gem sacrifices 32 stamina for 30, while still giving you a slight dodge increase which means a chance at 0% physical damage.

But back to the weapon enchant.. Personally I have a large health pool as a warrior, which is about 46,000 completely un-buffed, and with the ICC increase my health is more than satisfactory. Therefore the reason why I personally chose Bladeward over BD or Mongoose. I'm all about keeping my massive health pool safe. And with bladeward you essentially have an increased chance at taking zero physical damage, whereas the other enchants give you a 100% chance of taking damage, with slightly decreased side effects.

To me... NO damage is better than less damage.

Mongoose ups your dodge and mitigation, it's a double whammy. Bladewarding (if it parries a hit) just parries a hit.

Please read the link I posted, there is a LOT of discussion on this.

Understood... However, more agility means you're still being hit just for less, 100% of the time. And Parry equals zero damage at a higher than normal, percentage. If you have a high health pool, I believe that Dodge, Parry, etc etc... Is more effective than armor. Especially if youre at the standard most ICC tanks are at now, which is around 32k armour.
    Last edited by Lepka; 07-20-2010 at 08:43 AM.

Understood... However, more agility means you're still being hit just for less 100%. And Parry equal zero damage at a higher than normal, percentage. If you have a high health pool, I believe that Dodge, Parry, etc etc... Is more effective than armor. Especially if youre at the standard most ICC tanks are at now, which is around 32k armour.
    No, it doesn't. It only over-takes armor and health when you severely outgear content (ie. 277 gear in ToC). If you are still running progression, it is very much less valuable in current content due to incoming damage. Please have a read over this thread:

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...king-mechanics)

Quote Originally Posted by Lepka View Post
    Likely the reason the dodge gem is being used is to gain the meta socket bonus. As that was my issue. Depending on the meta socket, losing that one red gem sacrifices 32 stamina for 30, while still giving you a slight dodge increase which means a chance at 0% physical damage.

But back to the weapon enchant.. Personally I have a large health pool as a warrior, which is about 46,000 completely un-buffed, and with the ICC increase my health is more than satisfactory. Therefore the reason why I personally chose Bladeward over BD or Mongoose. I'm all about keeping my massive health pool safe. And with bladeward you essentially have an increased chance at taking zero physical damage, whereas the other enchants give you a 100% chance of taking damage, with slightly decreased side effects.

To me... NO damage is better than less damage.
    It's 75 stam + 10 def + 8 dodge versus 90 stam - Stamina wins

You're statement about no damage being better is true in a theoretical context but completely wrong in the actual WoW context of WotLK.

8 dodge = less than one tenth of one percent chance to dodge, and that's before diminishing returns.

So that 8 dodge, which will give you a 1 in 1054 chance of zero damage costs:
    15sta *1.09 (vitality) *1.1 (Kings) = ~18 sta. 180 hp * 1.25 (ICC buff) = 225 HP.

You're suggesting trading a 1 in 1054 chance of taking zero damage (before dimishing returns) is worth 225 HP?

Okay, it's not quite that drastic since the 10 defense will give a little more dodge, plus parry, block and a greater chance of mob miss. But it's not much better.

I understand the desire to be more than a granite block. But wanting something doesn't make it true. Wow is currently designed around EH. It is the best way to survive.

With the 25% buff it makes it less critical than it used to be, but it's still far better to go EH than avoid.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

This is about weapon enchants and as on other posts already listed there is no BIS enchant for weapons. I switch weapons depending on the fight or even trash. Each weapon has a different enchant and I don't see anything majorly different.
    Say Blood queen as MT ill use dps weapon with mongoose, as a OT for that fight ill use Lastword with Blood draining.
    You can argue which enchant gives better EH, However that can also depend on the fight.
    Generally speaking, the Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death.
    Miyamoto Musashi

+ Reply to Thread