+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Initial Threat low?

Initial Threat low?

So I have been tanking ICC for a couple months and I've had very few issues with threat. Lately one of our DW Frost DPS DK's has been pulling threat off of myself and the other tanks really fast (Myself more than the others). We have 3 Main Tanks in my guild, Pally, Warrior and myself (Blood)

My Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&cn=Runeforged

I know my gloves and weapon are not enchanted/gemmed. I have been away for a few days and haven't gotten to it. There are some issues with my gear which I am aware of. I was forced from my resto druid to my DK tank when we lost one of our MT's and I had to gear up quickly, which required me to make some strange gear/badge choices.

On bosses where I am the MT my rotation is: Icy Touch -> Plague Strike -> Death Strike -> Heart Strike x2 -> Empower Rune Weapon -> Heart Strike x4 -> Icy Touch -> Plague Strike

After my initial rotation it become's a priority list. I'm pulling upwards of 15k tps on some fights, however our DPS catches up to me rather quickly within the first 20 seconds, after that, they cannot catch up.

Does anyone have any advice or tips? I know the ICC buff isn't helpful, but I have noticed this in Ruby Sanctum also (mostly on trash due to trigger happy DK's with Howling Blast).

Thanks a bunch,

Runeforged ^_^

I think its fairly normal, do you have hunters and or rogues helping you with threat?

Unfortunately, we do not have any hunters, and our rogues do tricks us... if we have a rogue with us lol.

I see, yeah this is sometimes an issue.. theres not much you can really do as far as I know, your gear seems fine (except the 5/5 t10 :P but i understand your situation)

Id never say that I have threat issues, but back when I was tanking for heavy hitting dps in my hardcore guild, the first ~20 seconds were always scary.. the only advice I could say is they need to be abit more careful... dps never WANT to ramp up slowly on a pull but this is the sacrifice of not having a hunter to help MD.

Blood tap and IT spam off the bat, it is your highest threat move and will build a nice lead for you.

Also It may seem negative but you can always try letting another snap aggro tank blow up the boss and using taunt to pop your threat levels up to him.

Thanks for the advice I've been debating on IT spam initially; just seems counter-productive even though the numbers argue otherwise

As for the t10 chest, it's going asap, I was using t8 tanking chest when I started ICC, it was the biggest upgrade at the time, unfortunately it set me back 95 emblems *sigh*

Also thanks for re-enforcing my points, our DPS have recently started complaining about the tanks threat and I keep telling them not to be so trigger happy

Well the fact is enrage timers are built around some pretty low numbers, So tell them to work with you. I let my hunter destroy the boss then taunt and have him pop FD so now i have all this threat to open up with by the time he really catches me again FD is off CD

siiiigh, tiny i just realized you are on deathwing! I love that realm, good times QQ

anyways.

Yeah np, Like I said previously, I dont consider myself to have threat issues, I just did a PuG with the best dps dk on my realm in all 277 gear earlier, he PROMISED that he would pull but never came close.
    Its just the very beginning of fights when positioning and applying initial aggro that could make omen abit jumpy and its the dps' responsibility to not pull, though the line between tank responsibility and dps responsibility is small in this subject, since every second of dps uptime counts
    asking the paladin to presalv the 'triggerhappy dk' if that is an option, seem to be doing fine beyond that though. and yes the IT spam seems pretty effective.. its probably scaled differently at 80, but my level 61 frost tank dk can push 8k tps with IT spamming, which blows my mind.

IT spam is the best way i've found to jump out to a huge lead at the pull. If you're having trouble on the pull, use blood tap and your empowered rune weapon and literally just spam IT until your runes are on cd, then start into your normal rotation. You can jump out with 200k+ threat in just a few globals spamming IT so try it if initial pulls are giving you trouble.

Frost DK usually have a single point in their threat reduction talent so they come pretty close on the threat meters, right up there with fury warriors. I've found a double icy touch tap will outaggro anything. It messes up the rune rotation a bit but it's guaranteed to give a safe margin.

Yeah I was talking to some of our guildies this evening, IT spam it is; it just makes me feel dirty to do that lol. I actually had one of our frost DK's put 2 points into threat reduction, he's usually casting HB before we even DND/Thunderclap *sigh*

Check with the Frost DK tank and see if he took 3/3 subversion. I know a lot of frost DPS refuse to take it, and its a DPS loss if they have to slow down their dps because of threat.

If you have a paladin in the raid, have them Hand of Salvation the DK right away on the pull. The way it works, is that you lose 2% threat every second for 10 seconds, not an insta-threat dump, so it allows you 10 seconds of wiggle room. If it is a holy pally, try to have them pop it one GCD before the pull. In the case of LDW, it gets a little hard on the adds, 3/3 subversion on the DK is all I can suggest. I'm assuming the warrior already vigilences the DK.

Warn him to watch threat, originally when my icc group was transitioning to a new pally tank a lot of our dps were basically ordered to sit our hands for a second or two off the pull. If he fails to heed your warning let him pull and die... its harsh and it could cause a wipe on the enrage or some RNG (sindy turns to dk and accidentally the whole raid group) but ultimately he has to learn to watch his initial threat.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

+ Reply to Thread