+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DPS Kitty, Where did my hitrating go?

DPS Kitty, Where did my hitrating go?

Hello all.

Im a feral druid kitty DPS. And have landed on a problem or two.. My Hitrating is completly dissapering. Got a combination of 4pT10 and som normal ICC 25 + crafted gear.

If I gear up with my 4pT10 and continue using the arp trinket Im down to around 50 or so hit. I have gone from agility stacking to arp stacking with a good result, but have now come to a sort of standstill, where I choose to use my "older" gear with hit rating instead of the far better gear without hit.

Should I regem from hit and go for the softcap on arp and use a proc trinket, or should I just dont bother with the hit rating at all? Im sort of at a loss. Any help that can be provided with this scarse info is welcome.
    Tried linking to my character but is an awful compy user... so cant

EU server Scarshield legion, character Dragar, druid.

Thanks.

from my basic knowledge of kitty dps -tried and failed, no shame in admitting that, missing hurts dps, alot, seen a feral v feral competition on saurfang once, one of them had quit a bit better gear full 264 and 277 the other was 264 and 1 piece of 277 - the one with the lower gear performed better becasue the higher geared druid was so intent on arp hardcap he lost hitcap and misses were owning his dps

the mentality of all dps classes and misses is balancing out your missrates with hitting harder (in this case ArP). a lot of spreadsheets, will show that mathematically net gain in harder hits (ArP,str,agi,ap whatever) is supposed to, over an average (and i'm not talking 3 minute fight, i'm talking millions of data entries) it'll be more dps. Sadly this isn't how WoW operates. WoW operates on small, sometimes bursty situations, yes most boss fights go either 3 minutes - 8 minutes in length, and even during those situations you'll see that sometimes, the higher arp person will probably out dps the hit capped person... but the fact is, in such small data sets, you WILL see often, the hit capped person beating the ArP capped person simply because the ArP capped person had a bad string of misses, especially with feral, if you miss with say, a bleed debuff, then you let that debuff fall off, potentially losing a lot of DPS as you try to keep applying your bleeds, miss 2 or 3 in a row, which isn't impossible, and is in fact, a likihood of occuring (while over an average it should come out the same) will be devastating to your dps numbers, have it happen DURING blood lust, or during some sort of CD usage, and you've just destroyed your output potential. Take into account fights like LK or LDW where you need to burst dps hard on new targets constantly, 3-4 misses on an add means an add being up for several seconds longer, and while on AVG when you kill adds a few seconds FASTER should counter balance these longer adds, it simply doesn't fly in a raid situation when Raging spirit #3 was left alive too long and caused a wipe to the raid. On avg, you kill him faster than you need to but when you're below avg, you wipe. Go for the lowest level of failure, cap your hit/exp.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Essentially going with lower hitrating is entirely better mathematically, but only if you can deal with it. Hit and expertise aren't required like they are for other classes because there's not much cost in missing something; you don't lose CPs or energy, and cats aren't GCD locked.

That being said, mathematically there does come a point where you have so much crit rating that any missed attacks (especially white ones) are missed crits, and at that point regemming for hit rating is actually mathematically better.

Thanks alot guys. Will follow your advice and get hit.

My cat is mostly clad in 264s with a few 277s (weapon, rings). I *just* hit the point where my orange gems are better with hit/Agi vs the old straight ArP and foregoing the socket bonus. As with most things it's a fairly constant balance between hitting more (haste, hit, exp) and hitting harder (ArP, crit, agility). Cats soft crit cap pretty easily just through gear (~5.7k GS) and so Agility and Crit gems go away, but ArP is a bit retarded because of how every successive point is worth more than the previous. However even with that fact you do reach a point where point for point, at least in yellow slots that will get you meaningful bonuses, you end up able to put in Agi/Hit gems instead of straight ArP. Of course its a balance thing, for instance I was only able to replace three ArP gems with Hit/Agility (picking up socket bonuses as well) before I again hit the equilibrium point. As I get more 277s and indeed hit harder from pure AP increases and maybe some minor ArP increases I may be able to the last few Agi/Hit gems I need to hit cap (I think I'm like ~7.5% right now)

That said I do not believe it will EVER be worth putting in an expertise gem over an ArP gem until you ArP cap (which I am not sure is possible for cats). Also once you hit cap then I believe haste gems take over those spare yellow slots you get ... but again it's very dynamic based on your current ArP and AP and whatnot.

That said I do not believe it will EVER be worth putting in an expertise gem over an ArP gem until you ArP cap (which I am not sure is possible for cats).
    It's not hard at all to cap. I've already capped and don't even have a second arpen trinket or a arpen weapon.

You should really always be trying to cap. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by felhoof View Post
    It's not hard at all to cap. I've already capped and don't even have a second arpen trinket or a arpen weapon.

You should really always be trying to cap. Always.
    It really depends on where you are. I've had points (and am currently at one) where I get more DPS out of socketing hit/agility in my yellows with decent socket bonuses over straight ArP. Of course I am only ~6k GS and I am still stuck with the NES so I am at soft ArP cap. I guess that puts me in a unique situation ... but yeah for people not NES handicapped then sure ... rock the ArP all the way home.

Try sacrificing as little ArP as possible Grab a hit trinket (pyrite infuser from flame is an alirhgt option it is a weekly boss that you will kill often enough to get a chance at it) Use enchants and as few gems as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinytankz View Post
    Try sacrificing as little ArP as possible Grab a hit trinket (pyrite infuser from flame is an alirhgt option it is a weekly boss that you will kill often enough to get a chance at it) Use enchants and as few gems as possible.
    ArP enchants? All I can find is an Elixir of Armor Pen and then Hearty Rhino. Is there something else I'm missing?
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    ArP enchants? All I can find is an Elixir of Armor Pen and then Hearty Rhino. Is there something else I'm missing?
    i think tinytankz was refering too the hit enchants, gloves got 20hit, boots got icewalker (12hit/crit) and im sure that im forgeting someone aswell.

/Ehlane

+ Reply to Thread