+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pally Holy Power - Generation?

Pally Holy Power - Generation?

So I've seen tons of stuff on the interwebs about how to spend Holy Power for each spec, but beyond the one Holy talent, I haven't seen much on how you generate Holy Power.

I assume it either generates by itself, or after you do X amount of holy damage, or when you use XYZ ability, but does anyone have more concrete info?

Crusader Strike will generate HP. There are some other ways, but I forget offhand what they were.

ugh... is Holy Power gonna be abbreviated to HP, now the acronyms are overlapping with old acronyms...... HoPow should be the abr imo.

NEED MORE HO POW!

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

How bout we compromise: HoP!

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    How bout we compromise: HoP!
    Hand of protection says otherwise.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

I still call it BoP oddly enough. Old habits die hard.

Imo, so far, Holy gets the shaft on generating Holy Power. We have to use a terribly mana inefficient heal to do so, in an expansion that's supposed to make mana matter more. I do hope it changes.

This is the Blizzard post on it:
    Q: What is the goal when re-designing the paladin class? How do you plan to change rotations, talents, etc?
    A. All of the paladin specializations will make use of a new resource called Holy Power. Holy Power accumulates from using Crusader Strike, Holy Shock, and some other talents. Holy Power can be consumed to augment a variety of abilities, including:
    • An instant mana-free heal: Word of Glory
    • A buff to increase holy damage done: Inquisition
    • A massive physical melee attack for Retribution paladins: Templar’s Verdict
    • Holy Shield’s duration is now extended by Holy Power
    • Divine Storm’s damage is now increased by Holy Power
    We also introduced several new heals for Holy Paladins including Healing Hands (an AoE heal-over-time that is applied to all players standing near the paladin), Light of Dawn (a cone heal with a 30-yard range), as well as a new heal called Divine Light, which is similar to a priest's Greater Heal, and the new instant heal mentioned above, Word of Glory.

Why can't holy paladins generate holy power via crusader strike?

They probably can, but it's not what a Holy Paladin will generally be doing. Nor should Holy Paladins be in melee range as often as it seems Blizzard wants to put them there. At this point, in Cataclysm, I may as well just be running into melee range on every fight on my Holy Pally.

But, as I said, Crusader Strike isn't a normal button for Holy Paladins. It is a normal button for Ret Pallies (presumably). Holy Shock is also, and likely never will be a normal button for Holy Paladins, because it's mana inefficient. It would really be awful of Blizz to force Holy Shock into the regular heals of a Holy Pally, and then nerf their ability to regen on top of it.

I'm not worried though, this is what the beta is for. They'll see plenty of Holy Paladins struggling to generate Holy Power and it'll get fixed.

It's possible, but usually the healers stay back. it's already pretty crowded up front with tanks and melee. Therefore they need a ranged ability (unless they get Holy Power from judgements).

I've always been curious about a melee range healer. I can see paladins and resto shamans doing it nicely. The Maelstrom mechanics (build 5 stacks for instacast nuke) have been nice, but they were always too small heals. If you moved the talent to healers, where their hits powered up heals, but make the hits tiny, you might see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    They probably can, but it's not what a Holy Paladin will generally be doing. Nor should Holy Paladins be in melee range as often as it seems Blizzard wants to put them there.
    Strange, I always thought that melee would be the perfect spot for a holy paladin. Seal of wisdom combined with a few more instant spells should help with the mana regeneration as well, since instant spells allow for a melee swing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Right now the normal option for a Holy Paladin will be "Holy Shock", which is terrible for the reasons I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    Strange, I always thought that melee would be the perfect spot for a holy paladin. Seal of wisdom combined with a few more instant spells should help with the mana regeneration as well, since instant spells allow for a melee swing.
    The problem is that, generally, being in melee range has always meant taking more damage, possible dealing with more knockbacks, interrupts, etc... there's always been a lot of reasons for a Holy Paladin to not go into melee. That's why I advise Holy Paladins to ONLY go in melee if they need to get mana back.

However, the changes in Cata requiring healers to do more damage, worry more about their mana, and then the two AoE heals Paladins get, all favor them running into melee. I don't like it, because they're not likely to change boss mechanics for melee. It puts Holy Paladins between a rock and a hard place.

There is also a talent in the holy tree that gives a paladin a % chance to generate holy power when directly healing their becon target, seems to be any heal. so you can either holy shock or throw a heal on your beacon target and seeing as when the beacon is healer for only 50% when coming from another target heal we can assume that will be enough.

I dont think its that bad for our generation of holy power seeing as we are to get a insta no mana heal out of our generated HoPo (the new acronym? or maybe HPo)

I'm not sure I like going to a 2 resource management system. Holy Power would be OK if it was like energy/rage/focus/etc., but to still have to thing about mana too to boot?

Hpw

Edit: Direct heals on your Beacon target is less than ideal too, it's a waste of a free heal. But Blizzard does want to change that aspect of Beacon, so it's quite possible that that will change, in which case it sounds like a fine method of generating HPW.
    Last edited by Chamenas; 07-21-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    Hpw

Edit: Direct heals on your Beacon target is less than ideal too, it's a waste of a free heal. But Blizzard does want to change that aspect of Beacon, so it's quite possible that that will change, in which case it sounds like a fine method of generating HPW.
    the new becon only heals for 50% of the original heal, its not just a full "free heal"

Quote Originally Posted by Razzdango View Post
    the new becon only heals for 50% of the original heal, its not just a full "free heal"
    Yeah, I'd read something about that, but wasn't sure if they'd gone through with it. My thinking was that they would have Beacon sap more mana. It's certainly an interesting way to limit Beacon. In the new damage environment it might not be too bad, but I'm worried that it will weaken Beacon too much. It'll be interesting to see how it works if I ever get a chance to test it.

Would be nice to hook up with a Holy Pally in the beta. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    HoPow should be the abr imo.

NEED MORE HO POW!
    So it has been said, so it shall be written!

Henceforth it shall be known as HoPow!

(ps there are too many abbreviations in that sentence, Kaze =P and ironically, the correct abbreviation for abbreviation is abbr)
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

I don't think that staying in melee range is going to be the thing for holy paladins, but for those assigned to do raid healing -or at least some raid healing - I think that it combined with the healing cone effect + the AoE heal + generating holy power definitely lends itself to them standing in melee.

I think that it would be an interesting design to have holy paladins who are primarily healing the tank stay at range (because they don't need a lot of holy power) and holy paladins who are healing big groups stand with those groups - and if they're melee, get some CS action going on to generate extra holy power points.

+ Reply to Thread