+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breaking my addiction

Breaking my addiction

Reflecting on a photo I took, then forcing myself to embarrassingly add it to the public domain for scrutiny, as seen here,

http://digg.com/pc_games/Why_Warcraft_is_Bad_For_You

I have decided it's time to stop. I'm officially hanging up my totems. So... with that being said I couldn't just up and leave without officially saying by to some of my favorite WoW institutions, Tankspot being one of them (and one of the most favorite.

No more weekly Marmot - goodbye Aliena =*(

No more studyin raid vids, watching them over and over on each new release

No more WoW

Now, yes, this is the first time I've posted unfortunatley, but I've loved frequenting tankspot over the years, so it hard to say, but...

No more tankspot... Goodbye

- Zeta

That picture isn't wow addiction, it's slobbery. I'm not exactly the neatest person in the world (my desk is continually covered in just... crap. Paperwork and assorted stuff). But if your desk is covered in cans and cigarette butts it's because you're too lazy to walk to the recycle bin (or be smart enough to just... put a recycle bin in the primary place you drink soda! whoa!)

If you quit wow are you just going to leave the same exact mess in front of the TV or whatever.

Or you could find a girlfriend to play wow with you who would kick your butt for slobbery and drag you out of the house to do other stuff. That also works.

Take care hope everything works out for you. One thing I wanted to say is that WoW isnt the root cause of whats happening to you and your room in that picture. Like Errvalunia said, it takes some initiative on your part. No one likes to clean, its tedious. Dont blame WoW on what happened to that room nor is it a sign that you need to quit. It's a sign that you need to set your mind on not letting things get out of hand.

Enough of that. You will be missed. Maybe we will meet again when you get things more under control with your life.

Literally, keeping a paper shopping back next to your desk to use as a trash can would solve this problem. We keep paper bags for trash in our living room (where we spend all our waking time at home when not in the kitchen) and it helps a lot. Our cleanliness problems aren't usually trash so much as just clutter, but its nice to clear up desk space by tossing the hummus container as soon as its empty and not waiting till I get up to go to the kitchen for water and hopefully remember.

But, you gotta do what you gotta do and if you want to choose a different lifestyle than hanging out at your computer, have fun and good luck. Personally I'm just too exhausted from school and work and never having any money to find another hobby.

oh my freaking gold, i could not believe that wow makes you have a super tummy, that's crazy

HAHA doh! great picture though..reminds me of my student days

Though i'm married so have little opportunity to get THAT slobby, I did get a bit of wow addiction while raiding and ended up in front of the PC Mon - Fri 730pm to 1130pm.

After a lovely wife telling me in no uncertain terms YES I DO EXIST and me finding i gained 2 stone (no idea about pounds) from being inactive I wound down my game time.

I joined a health club with the missus, get to workout 3 or 4 times a week again and rebonded with my guitar.

I still love playing WoW and that wont change anytime soon. However, i'm not going to have a full 277 rig out or beat the Lich King any time soon but the gains for me far outweigh that. A healthy balance is always a good thing

Note: I'm not raiding bashing in anyway before people quote me. I just personally took it a little too far (easily done)

All you need to do is tidy and clean abit, throwing away rubbish as aposed to hording the stuff will help so much...I don't think I'd want to touch that keyboard again though!

Sorry, no. WoW didn't cause that mess.

Laziness did.

Yep.

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

goodluck and takecare

He obviously wasn't just talking about the mess around the place, but himself too. Check out his Before WoW pic.

028.jpg

I find that pic you linked hard to believe is the OP before WoW. I would like to see proof that it is him. But its no stretch of the imigination that anyone living in a pigsty as shown in the picture is going to plump. If he was unwilling to clean up his mess why would he be more willing to do push ups or crunches (beside the point that there wasnt any room to begin with). Now I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just saying everything has a place in life. You can exercise, keep your house clean, and play WoW. Its how you prioritize your responsibilities and manage your time. WoW IS NOT THE CULPRIT. Before anyone argues that last point read OP's link (Clue: Why_Warcraft_Is_Bad_For_You)

There's a big difference in how these things are approached:
    1. People are unhealthy or overweight and blame WoW;
    2. People are unhealthy or overweight, know that WoW is part of the problem, and cut WoW out to help them improve.
    This guy is clearly in camp #2, just as I have been, just as many others are. He's actually fixing it, not just bitching about it, so getting on his case as someone who's simply calling themselves a victim is misled.

Raising awareness of this issue while also promoting personal responsibility shouldn't be offensive to anyone.

Eh, I think he's pretty clearly blaming WoW. But that's my gut-doesn't-know-the-guy-initial reaction.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

I agree with you on the two camps, Cider, but his link clearly states why Warcraft is bad for you not me like a person from camp 1 would say. Playing Warcraft wont necessarily lead to people living like him though i dont despute video game addiction. WoW is also easy to get sucked into due to its large depth and social aspects. Fact is there are many mature, stable, and socially responsible people playing WoW. To say WoW is bad for you is just slander.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    There's a big difference in how these things are approached:
    1. People are unhealthy or overweight and blame WoW;
    2. People are unhealthy or overweight, know that WoW is part of the problem, and cut WoW out to help them improve.
    This guy is clearly in camp #2, just as I have been, just as many others are. He's actually fixing it, not just bitching about it, so getting on his case as someone who's simply calling themselves a victim is misled.

Raising awareness of this issue while also promoting personal responsibility shouldn't be offensive to anyone.
    Thanks for putting this in here, I'm glad you intervened. I've quit WoW twice now, once last year, and again this April after playing since Vanilla. Honestly, people, even Lore has gone so far as to mention on the marmot that raiding doesn't take that much time. Truthfully it doesn't. But the rest of the game which help make raiding worthwhile take forever. Making gold, so you can max out your gear or buy some vanity item, farming rep (not just badgeable WOTLK rep either), leveling professions, alts, etc. all take time. Even just getting your weekly frost badges can take an entire Tuesday evening, and before that when Triumphs were given in the daily, it was longer. The point is if you really want to make the game worthwhile you have to put in a large time investment, simple as that. Well my life doesn't have time to commit to that anymore. I'm in the gym 5 days a week now, I'm eating properly and at the right times and I can't tell you the last time I touched a Dorito or a Cheez it. I get home from work and sit on the floor to play with my 4 year old son for hours- hours which would have cut into my precious raiding time had I still been playing- on end. I read. I actually have gone back to reading books again, my mind is being stimulated again instead of looking for yellow numbers and blue gems.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game and I was able to accomplish much, but times have changed and so have I. I of course still contribute here as often as I can, this is an excellent community that I'm proud to be a part of.

Also would like to add that the RealID forum change is definitely something that would keep me away. 30,000 responses on the US forum alone will not sway their minds, then there is something seriously wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Simple solution for those who play wow and blame it for your health problems. EWF----Exercise While Flying. It has worked for me. I think that is why Blizz has you making 10 figure 8's and flying backward, to get from A to B . Give it a try, you will be surprised.

interesting side effect of the RealID fiasco -- while activating parental controls on my account to disable RealID, I found an option to email a weekly report of the time you spend in the game... May prove to be an interesting metric for some of us that don't really stop to think about exactly how much time we spend in Azeroth.
    I'm a tank. I like the beatings.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfists View Post
    I find that pic you linked hard to believe is the OP before WoW.
    Ah, you caught me, just a vicious hoax.

People who justify their WoW addiction, infatuation, or whatever you want to call it, and use excuses like "At least I'm not doing drugs for 4 hours a night", or "I could be watching TV all night instead", or "There are plenty of successful people playing WoW" are missing the point. It's certainly not the worst thing you could be doing. But it's not the best thing either.

Why not invest that time into something that could benefit you in the long term? Further educating yourself to improve your career. (Money can't buy you happiness -- but it sure can buy you a bunch of other cool shit). Spend time with your friends & family. Volunteer for a cause you believe in. Get your body in better condition. Entertainment is a great diversion from reality, but it's just that -- a diversion.

I've lost a job partially due to my WoW addiction. I put myself and my wife into financial jeopardy for virtual notoriety. With so many people out of work now, I'm extremely fortunate to have recovered. Don't pretend, like I did, that this couldn't happen to you. All those hours of sleep you sacrifice killing virtual monsters will take its toll on your well-being in the end.

+ Reply to Thread