Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Need to found out what went wrong.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    22

    Need to found out what went wrong.

    Hello all, I was running H ToC last night with a group of randoms and the group line up was me, a Warrior, a Hunter, a Mage, a Priest, and another Warrior. Somehow in the beginning after the lance fight as we started to fight the Rogue, Hunter, and Mage, the Priest all of a sudden dies supposedly because I wasn't holding aggro on all three bosses. That was the 1st time the Priest dies. 2nd time everything goes well and out of nowhere, I look at my HP bar, it's not going anywhere, I activate Last Stand which kept me up for a bit and I got killed. A 2nd wipe. 3rd time, was fine however it was close to another wipe. Moving onto Eadric. 1st time we wipe because the Priest got Hammer of Righteousness. 3rd wipe. Now coming towards the Black Knight. The 1st time attacking the Black Knight, everything goes well. However, I think it was my fault that during the 2nd phase, I wasn't able to hold aggro on all of the adds. Wiped. Tried the Black Knight for a 2nd time, everything goes well until I get killed (looking back at my Combat Log, I was not healed in time and they said I was taking way too much damage as a tank). Before I got back in to retrieve my body, they said I wasn't defense cap and that I was a bad tank. Then I got booted from the party.

    I got called a bad tank twice last night and it's bothering me a little bit; I'll just shrug it off.

    So the problem is that, was it my fault that we wiped? or could it be the Priest fault?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,029
    Called a bad tank; wont' the first time, won't be the last welcome to the pug world of "it's always the tank's fault." Based on the limited information it seems like priest had no clue how to heal and look out for himself. What pugs forget is that every party member has a duty to look out for themselves at some point in a fight.



    Shrug it off, like you said, and move on. To tank you need to be like a Closer in baseball, short memory.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    138
    Yeah, try to shrug it off. I think that all tanks (hell, anyone for that matter really) needs to experience what you did during that run. It can really be a humbling experience, that will only help you grow as a tank. Remember, your the tank, you have to be able to take a hit, even the hits you get from your party members.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    128
    well, one thing, can't confirm since there are no names given - it seems to me that the priest is a little undergeared - it's very rare that eadric's hammer one shots its target - i've only seen this on my mage when he had just hit 80 with entry level gear - he got one shot with a 17k hit

    if the priest was slightly more geared then he shouldn't have been one shot

    if that is the case where the priest is in entry level gear, then it will depend on your gear as well...and since you didnt post an armory link, can't say if that was a factor

    consider this (mainly for h toc and the new icc instances)
    1) entry level geared tank + entry level geared healer in h toc = harder run
    2) decently geared tank + entry level geared healer = ok run
    3) entry level geared tank + decently geared healer = ok run

    so if you were in situation (1) - that would lead to the run you just described

    that being said, i'm not saying that gear is the only reason your run went bad - it would also come down to skill and a little luck

    in the end - just walk it off and forget it, as a tank, your gonna see a lot of these things happening

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    22
    Thanks for all your input. I think I'll just shrug it off and keep on playing. I'll probably check some of the gears on the heals before I start tanking and see what's up but for now, I'll just tank and learn more methods.

    Thanks again all!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    718
    Quote Originally Posted by pvn23 View Post
    Hello all, I was running H ToC last night with a group of randoms and the group line up was me, a Warrior, a Hunter, a Mage, a Priest, and another Warrior. Somehow in the beginning after the lance fight as we started to fight the Rogue, Hunter, and Mage, the Priest all of a sudden dies supposedly because I wasn't holding aggro on all three bosses.
    You are a learning tank as opposed to a "BAD" tank. The fact you are here and asking questions will make you a good tank.

    The priest your healer got targetted by the mage and/or hunter mobs as your primary target was correctly the rogue. You do have to tank the off mobs an addon like groupagrometer or tauntmaster will help you because it will indicate when anyone other than you has agro. Use
    shockwave, thunderclaps and cleaves liberally to hold the off mobs on you.


    Quote Originally Posted by pvn23 View Post
    2nd time everything goes well and out of nowhere, I look at my HP bar, it's not going anywhere, I activate Last Stand which kept me up for a bit and I got killed. A 2nd wipe
    Without knowing the source of damage hard to say you could have had nasty sacks of poison from the rogue or the mage or hunter could have triggered there specials and DBM would have screamed at you assuming you are running it. As a warrior you can minimize alot of damage in this encounter by using spell reflect and use of shockwave and conc blow to stun and shield bash to silence did you use them?


    Quote Originally Posted by pvn23 View Post
    3rd time, was fine however it was close to another wipe. Moving onto Eadric. 1st time we wipe because the Priest got Hammer of Righteousness. 3rd wipe.
    That ones healers fault he didnt shield or hot himself as a clothie he should know better and he got 1 shotted nothing you can do.

    Quote Originally Posted by pvn23 View Post
    Now coming towards the Black Knight. The 1st time attacking the Black Knight, everything goes well. However, I think it was my fault that during the 2nd phase, I wasn't able to hold aggro on all of the adds. Wiped.
    Ok as warrior the easy way to do this part of fight as black knight summons adds whack him a few times then as adds appear thunderclap. Now back away and shockwave everything. Now keep kiting backwards going in an arc if needed. At some point adds will be heading for healer intervene the healer face the adds after him and shockwave or use challenging shout and now continue your slow kite of boss and mobs. Eventually the mobs will stop to explode or dps will have killed him and they stop either way the slow kite means you are near them as they explode.

    Quote Originally Posted by pvn23 View Post
    Tried the Black Knight for a 2nd time, everything goes well until I get killed (looking back at my Combat Log, I was not healed in time and they said I was taking way too much damage as a tank). Before I got back in to retrieve my body, they said I wasn't defense cap and that I was a bad tank. Then I got booted from the party.

    I got called a bad tank twice last night and it's bothering me a little bit; I'll just shrug it off.

    So the problem is that, was it my fault that we wiped? or could it be the Priest fault?

    Are you defense capped?


    TBH its everyone's fault in that group. You are an inexperienced tank and made errors but they also made lots of errors.

    The priest can "fade" to drop agro
    The hunter can MD mobs on to you and use frost traps to slow mobs down
    The mage can spell steal the buffs counterspell them ... they can also use nova to hold adds from moving

    Chalk it up to learning and move on it does get easier and remember do what you are doing here ask questions a tank.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3
    Also bare in mind that not everyone knows their class like a tank has to. Some of these guys have done HoR so many times on different characters they're bored of it and have little interest in using their class skills to survive. They just want to get their JPs asap.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    471
    It's hard to know exactly what went wrong. A good healer can keep everyone alive no matter how bad things go. It's possible the healer was silenced in the first fight. A good healer would always try and keep the tank topped off. Sounds to me like this healer wasn't great.

  9. #9
    Thing that usually wipes this is the people standing in the poison puddels the dwarf rogue puts down.
    Forestgimp - Holy/Protection Paladin - Khaz'goroth US (Oceanic)
    Sammiches - Assassination/Combat Rogue - Khaz'goroth US (Oceanic)
    Drd - Restoration/Balance Druid - Khaz'goroth US (Oceanic)
    Assviolator - Arcane Mage - Khaz'goroth US (Oceanic)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts