+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prot Warrior, can't find a guild :(

Prot Warrior, can't find a guild :(

This is my char:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...+Mill&cn=Tzajh

I've recently hit 80 on my warrior and worked hard on my gear. I've watched all the tankspot videos and learnt tactics for ICC, but when I apply to guilds or try to join pug ICC raids no-one will give me the time of day -- they all ask for achievements and gs, and when I say I have 4.3k gs and no achiev they just laugh in my face

I applied for a "casual" raiding guild yesterday and they told me to farm heroics and come back and apply when I have 'at least' 6k gs...

So I ask you, how can I get higher gs and obtain achievements without anyone giving me a chance to get gear or achievements...??

It's a vicious spot to be in Any advice?

As for my gear...I know my trinket 1 kinda sux, but I'm trying to collect frost badges to get the +220 stam trinket. Only need 15 more frosties! But being only able to get 2 frost badges per day... well its slow :P

P.S I freakin' hate the GearScore mod; it's so useless and misleading. I mean, if I wanted to, I could mix in PvP gear into my tanking gear and easily get 5k gs... but that would'nt make me a good tank would it.
    Last edited by Tzajh; 07-05-2010 at 03:45 AM.

I would continue doing heroics for more gear, as well as do heroic ICC5mans for their drops. You can also get the ilvl245 tanking bracers crafted.

I would strongly suggest reading up on tanking information as well, and change your gems and enchants.
    Con Brio is recruiting! Look within for details. www.conbrioguild.org
    Mage Guide Author
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...skies/advanced

Normally I'd be 'oh how terrible, isn't gearscore a pain'... but in truth there is a lot you can do to improve your character before you hit ICC.

You have quite a few pieces that are 219 ilvl, not to mention the blues. These can almost all be replaced in the ICC heroics or frost badges. I would also recommend you save up and get the crafted Pillars of Might in place of the dreadful tier legs. Keep farming HoR normal for the better shield.

You should be using Austere Earthsiege Diamond as your meta gem. Your shoulder enchant should be 30stam+15resi or the Sons of Hodir def/dodge one. Replace your hand enchant with an armor kit for either stamina or armor, and replace both chest and cloak enchants with stamina/armor equivalents.

Your spec is interesting. You seem to have gone for a 'survival' build by putting more points into Fury for imp demo shout and commanding presence, but you haven't taken Improved Thunderclap, which pretty much gives you flat damage reduction against melee mobs. I think a more 'standard' deep wounds build might be more appropriate - have a search on Tankspot for a suitable one.

I'd recommend replacing Glyph of Cleaving and Glyph of Revenge. Glyph of Taunt, Glyph of Shield Wall, Glyph of Last Stand are all decent choices (particularly if you upped your points into Improved Disciplines to 2/2). You could probably hang onto Cleaving until you're done in heroics.

It is tough to find guilds that need tanks at this stage of the expansion, but keep plugging at improving your character, keep plugging at pugging content (there is more than ICC out there) and make a few friends... you never know where it might lead.

Good luck
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

TBH i'm not surprised you can't get into any ICC running guilds or pugs. Your gear really isn't at the level to tank it.

Ok sure you could surivive the first couple of bosses but guilds in ICC have certainly progressed past the 1st couple of bosses and pugs always have high gear requirements as it somewhat offsets the lack of teamwork/coordination.

You need to farm a lot more badges, hell even getting triumph badges and getting the 245 offset gear would be a start, plus as much crafted gear as possible.

I realise it's difficult as something like Ulduar would better suit your current gear level but noone's running it. ToC10 and 25's still run though and they would offer potential upgrades for you.

You will get crit and die IF you make it to the first boss. Keep farming heroics before you even bother taking the time to fill out an app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

There is still some big improvements you can make to your gear and spec.

Read Aggathon's guide on the Gear/enchant forums for the right spec and glyphs, than read my guide on gearing to get yourself "ICC Ready" by farming heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzajh View Post
    This is my char:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...+Mill&cn=Tzajh

I've recently hit 80 on my warrior and worked hard on my gear. I've watched all the tankspot videos and learnt tactics for ICC, but when I apply to guilds or try to join pug ICC raids no-one will give me the time of day -- they all ask for achievements and gs, and when I say I have 4.3k gs and no achiev they just laugh in my face

I applied for a "casual" raiding guild yesterday and they told me to farm heroics and come back and apply when I have 'at least' 6k gs...

So I ask you, how can I get higher gs and obtain achievements without anyone giving me a chance to get gear or achievements...??
    So, yeah, GS sucks. That being said, you have a LONG way to go before you are ready to tank ICC. I think the bench mark was 4.6k GS? Not that I pay attention to that much. But going into ICC in blues is a no-no. And getting a 5k gearscore w/ badges is fairly easy. And sporting a dps trinket, a dps meta and a dps shoulder enchant aren't going to win you any love either. If you applied to our guild, I'd say....you need work. Get the crafted bracers. Gem and enchant properly. And I'd probably go over your spec as well, and very closely question you on why you chose what you did when a little digging will get you a few specs that are tried and true.

Now add to that you have exactly one Noth kill to your name, and no other raid boss kills at all, most guilds are going to politely say no thank you. The tank positions available are very few, and we generally have the choice of well geared, well experienced tanks. *I* might take you on as an OT, but not for ICC, and certainly not w/o an experienced MT to work with. And not before you fixed your gear, because to me, at this stage of the expansion, it looks an awful lot like: you guys are just sharding it all anyway, so, can I haz some welfare epics, plox? I'm not going to invest a substantial amount of time in you and your toon until you show me that you are willing to do the same. Watching vids and knowing strat isn't enough. Knowing the hinky bits of your class is important.
    Last edited by CatabriOnEarthen; 07-05-2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Completeness
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

Well is it worth it to even play tank then now, if all the tanking spots are filled in most guilds?

I mean, I love tanking -- hence why I re-rolled from my dk to a sturdier tank, but should I just give up and play the boring side of WoW (DPS ._.)? Sounds like getting in to guilds would be a hell of alot easier

Tanking isn't for the impatient. If you do OK DPS, you could be tolerated, but OK tanking rarely flies. You HAVE to be geared, there is no two ways about it, and the grind is long and hard.

Having said that, it's far easier to get really good gear as a tank then as a DPS, less competition and also lots of options. If need be, pug as DPS and acquire the needed tankie bits. Getting good weapons is pretty much the first huge step to doing acceptable DPS, and then patiently collect your tank gear.

I mean, I love tanking -- hence why I re-rolled from my dk to a sturdier tank, but should I just give up and play the boring side of WoW (DPS ._.)? Sounds like getting in to guilds would be a hell of alot easier
    With current content the way it is, you are better off knowing how to DPS, having a DPS offspec, and being competitive in DPS as well. "It's my offspec" doesn't really cut it I'm sorry to say. Most guilds run with a tank 'core', and that includes people they know can offspec tank if need be. If you get your foot in the door as a DPS, build up your tank set, then get the chance to OT in weekly raids or non-progression raids you are more likely to get a shot at tanking the big raids.

In the guilds I have app'd to, I have been fortunate that they are looking for tanks, just not advertising it. I go in as a DPS, DPS competitively with other DPS of my class/other classes, and have a respectable tank set. For those fights where they need a punching bag/3rd tank, they ask me to tank and I hop, then hop back immediately to DPS when they require it. It's more about what they need than what I want, and I'm willing to fill whatever role my main is capable of filling.

Keep in mind, my tanking gear was pretty much "as much as is possible to get" with the content I was running. This means all craftables, older raid gear, and all of my emblem gear. You don't app to a serious guild with blues and greens, and you make sure that you have the best possible gear you can get. That shows them that you care about the character, and have put work into it.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Well is it worth it to even play tank then now, if all the tanking spots are filled in most guilds?

I'm sorry that you feel your DK was not sturdy. My OT in ICC is a DK, and is just not that far behind me in sturdiness (I'm a loladin.) If you can't *find* pugs of ToC or Uldaur, RAID LEAD them. I'm sure there are LOTS of people on your server who would like gear from there. The other very important thing is to look for guilds that are at your gear level. Those that have been pounding at ICC for months are just not going to be interested. Those who were slow to move, and are still in ToC, may very well accept you. Yes, you may have to go DPS. Tank 5 mans for the guild, let them see what you are made of.

Insahnity has the right of it. It takes patience, and time to find a guild (unless one is dropped in your lap) that is in need of what you can provide, and where you are gearwise. No, it won't be the number 1 or even the number 10 guild on the server. But those guilds do not want to take the time to gear you up. They expect you to do that before you apply.
    Last edited by CatabriOnEarthen; 07-05-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Edited for Clarity

I'm with Catabri on the DK thing. You don't get much sympathy from me with statements that DK aren't sturdy, it just means you didn't learn the finer points of being a DK tank, which is not easy. Chances are, you may miss the finer points of other classes as well, and warrior tanks are just as hard as DKs to master. Paladins and bear are much easier to learn.

The fastest way to gear up is to get into a guild which can farm something in your level, i.e. ToC, or else find pugs for toc. On my server, you still see people pugging nax10 or toc10 to gear up alts. It's not pretty, but it will get help speed things up a bit. The only way you will get to where you need to be is when you have farmed enough frost badges to get a 2-3 pieces of frost gear, typically Trinket/Cloak/Belt, a few VoA25 wins, and you should have enough triumph badges to cover chestplate, bracers, and the rest t9.

I never said DKs aren't sturdy (hell, I tanked plenty of raids on mine) I just said warriors are sturdier ^^

Anyway, I've worked on my gear -- replaced my crappy blue bracers with some shiny new crafted ones, changed up some of my gems and enchants and will continue farming heroics for emblems :<

Also, is the non-set gear better than the t9 gear...? have I wasted a ton of emblems on crap gear?!

Thanks for the advice ^^

I never said DKs aren't sturdy (hell, I tanked plenty of raids on mine) I just said warriors are sturdier ^^
    I've had the opposite experience. Then again, since Wrath, only one Warrior tank I *personally* know has done well. The others that I know.....not so much.

Ive upgraded most of my gear now, could you guys take a look and tell me what you think?

Would this be enough to tank ToC, Ulduar and ICC?

you are logged in pvp gear, as for offset pieces.. the 245 helm and shoulders are indeed better than the 232 t9 ones, you can use the gloves and legs to fill the 2pc t9, (i have no idea what your tank gears look like)

i refreshed and now you are in tank gear,
    are you qualified to tank ulduar and toc? yes, icc? thats a maybe. It depends on the rest of the group really. when icc first came out, with 0% buff I tanked it with gear similar to yours, wasnt quite the same but I had the same health pool as you, just slightly more armor. You could probably do the first 2 wings (minus putricide) with ease but may have a hard time beyond that. You should switch your chants though, you are overchanted for defense, when you can take health / armor instead.

The 30 stam 15 resi pvp chant to shoulders reduces your chance to be critted, so infact, you could stand to be up to 4 points below 540 defense and still be uncrittable.

armsman on gloves is just about useless, you can sub it for 18 stam from an armor kit, and 275 defense on chest, and get armor on cloak, your gear is starting to reach the ~acceptable for starting icc level

There is a great pre-raid (pre-guild) gearing guide: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ur-Tank-in-LFD

Also, try to get some gold and buy ICC or ToC crafter items.

Do weekly raids. Noone will ask you for achi and Gayscore for Naxx...

Quote Originally Posted by pcigre View Post

Do weekly raids. Noone will ask you for achi and Gayscore for Naxx...
    Sadly thats not true..
    I joined a weekly pug as heals awhile back and the raid leader booted the tank for not having 40k hp

Well I made a few changes... I got harbingers ring from the AH and paid for a charactor change so I made my char into a tauren for more HP (and yeh, the name changed to something cow-related was also required)

Also I got into a small raiding guild finally and also did some ICC as tank

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ll&cn=Milkfist

Thanks for the help guys !!

+ Reply to Thread