+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage Tanking

Mage Tanking

Anybody have experience from 3.3 onward mage tanking? I'm looking for specs/tactics.
    This is for fights like Keleseth on BPs, BloodBeasts on Saurfang or possibly even Rotface oozes, and no warlock is available (yes, the second tank should do it, but let's not go there please).

I'm thinking either a jacked up ice barrier spec or an arcane resist spec is the way to go. Any thoughts or references?

Here's a crack at a possible arcane spec. Critique/flame away.

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000

OK here is my frost spec and a hybrid frost/arcane spec. i could drop the replenishment for other points elsewhere.

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...03200100000000

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...03230152231351

Blood beasts shouldn't be "tanked" at all, by any class. The slowing effect in hard mode will make kiting impossible save for one blink. No amount of defensive talents will allow you to live through a hard mode blood beast melee swing, 10 or 25, and the 5 BP gain per landed melee swing makes it a bad idea all around. On normal mode, well if you need to kite a beast before it dies then your ranged dps seriously needs to pick it up.

Rotface oozes, again shouldn't be tanked, but rather kited. No reason a mage couldn't do it, no special spec required, just get aggro and haul ass. Ther is no way a big ooze should ever catch anyone and if it did, a 3+ stack big ooze one or two-shot a clothie.

Keleseth tanking I could see and have seen mages do, but again, no special spec really required, the orbs provide all the protection you should need. I suppose Magic Absorption, Arcane Shielding, Prismatic Cloak would be useful arcane talents, and you could get deep enough into frost to get ice barrier, but you'd be sacrificing the bottom half of the arcane tree. This spec takes all the survival and damage reduction talents of arcane and frost, but the DPS output would be serverely gimped.
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#ofxiczbIzeMZZhIccsckccz

Really though, you can do everything you mentioned, no special spec required.

Quote Originally Posted by Akeber View Post
    Keleseth tanking I could see and have seen mages do, but again, no special spec really required, the orbs provide all the protection you should need. I suppose Magic Absorption, Arcane Shielding, Prismatic Cloak would be useful arcane talents, and you could get deep enough into frost to get ice barrier, but you'd be sacrificing the bottom half of the arcane tree. This spec takes all the survival and damage reduction talents of arcane and frost, but the DPS output would be serverely gimped.
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#ofxiczbIzeMZZhIccsckccz

Really though, you can do everything you mentioned, no special spec required.
    The issue is the pickup. I icelance keleseth to pick him up, and then blink/nitroboost/hoof it around the room to find/icelance Dark nuclei, but they don't spawn all at once (or at least, i haven't seen more than a one at the start). I tried this with an outdated frost spec, and I the first shadow lance obliterated my ice barrier. Next attempt, i timed my IB cast before the pull so I had it back up, that allowed me to survive 2 shadowlances before I got 3 DN, and things got easier. After that, it was a matter of holding threat, which is why Im thinking of going with an arcane spec with no threat reduction. Hunter Misdirects helped, but we even tried not dpsing keleseth when he had the HP, but to no avail.

Eventually we downed it by training the tank (after gritting through several wipes) on how to tank 10 man Keleseth.

As for the hybrid spec, it's similar to mine, but I agree, it castrates arcane too much, and i'm skeptical of it.

Insahnity, I think in the 40/0/31 talent spec you posted, it would be much better to go with 3/3 Prismatic Cloak over 3/3 Incanter's Absorption. Another good possibility is to drop points into Improved Blink, assuming it does effect the Shadowbolts.

Akebar, in general it is a very bad idea to have points into threat reduction if the goal is tanking.
    Con Brio is recruiting! Look within for details. www.conbrioguild.org
    Mage Guide Author
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...skies/advanced

Your dedicated healer should be spamming you until you can get an orb or two. You can also tell your tanks to let you initiate the pull, precast a spell and back it up with an instant or two as you're running. Come to think of it, I did tank Keleseth on my mage as fire/ttw spec in an alt run last week or something. It was ten man normal mode, but fire spec actually takes 3% more spell damage due to the "playing with fire" talent.

As for keeping threat on Keleseth, set him up as a focus so he's easy to retarget and just keep hitting him with spells when you have a second. Ofcourse, I was fire when i did this so there is more threat/dmg from the living bomb and ignite dots even when I was running around grabbing orbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
    Akebar, in general it is a very bad idea to have points into threat reduction if the goal is tanking.
    True enough, but my point is that no "special" spec should be required. There is no enrage on the fight. If necessary, the dps can just stop and not dps keleseth at all when he becomes empowered. The fight is about survival, which can be done in a normal dps spec with competent healers as long as the "tank" (ranged dps in this case) that can manage to keep 3+ orbs on them at all times. The fight is all about execution.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
    Insahnity, I think in the 40/0/31 talent spec you posted, it would be much better to go with 3/3 Prismatic Cloak over 3/3 Incanter's Absorption. Another good possibility is to drop points into Improved Blink, assuming it does effect the Shadowbolts.
    If you can blink as soon as the missile is cast, then it would work. but if the game internally tracks when shadowlance was cast and uses that point in time to determine if Imp Blink works, it's pretty RNG to use blink in that fashion.

I went with IA over Prismatic because I was browsing the thread on EJ about this, they mentioned that IA and FW were mandatory talents. Of course, they were also applying this to Sindragosa.

I used This spec while caster tanking as a mage.
    Frost spec to pick up handy things
    -Frozen core (6% damage reduction)
    -Ice Barrier Survivability CD
    -Water Elemental (fights off Beach balls)
    -Arctic winds (5% chance to not get hit)
    In arcane:
    -Magic Absorbtion (more spell armor)
    -Arcane Shielding (more spell armor)
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

We didn't have a warlock available on our first kill, so our mage stacked PvP Gear, with shadow resist, and tanked him. I don't remember if she changed her spec for the fight, but I know she had a killer amount of stam, so that the Empowered lance wouldn't 1 shot her.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    . After that, it was a matter of holding threat, which is why Im thinking of going with an arcane spec with no threat reduction. Hunter Misdirects helped, but we even tried not dpsing keleseth when he had the HP, but to no avail.
    We don't DPS Keleseth when he's up. Unless it's one of the "actual" tanks on him with a snap aggro ability. Running around after balls leaves little time for threat building.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

Wow.

It's not that hard as long as the rest of your raid knows how to do their jobs.

I'd advise your tanks figure out how the MT takes Val and Tal and the OT takes Kel, or you get your mt and ot on val and tal and get a dk to tank Kel in frost presence. As a mage, if you have to tank the orbs, something is wrong with your raid.

Not DPSing Kel isn't an option. Threat isn't an issue - we did it with shadow priests, mages, Dks, locks and probably someone I can't remember (pally?) before our tanks were geared enough and skilled enough to tank 2 of them at the same time.

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

+ Reply to Thread