+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Taunt Macro Help

Taunt Macro Help

I've been trying to find a good macro to use with grid and clique when I'm tanking on my DK. When I see someone grabbing aggro in a multiple mob situation, I want to right or left click on their grid unit frame and cast Dark Command (or Death Grip, one for right click and one for left click).

It's hard to debug in the heat of battle, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly.

I was trying something like:
    /cast [target=mouseovertarget] Dark Command

but this doesn't seem to be working well.

Is the mouseovertarget a valid expression, or should I use targettarget? Also I'm not sure exactly how to set it up using clique, if that affects which expression I use for targeting.

Thanks.

try @mouseover

Doc

let me know if it works.

its [target=mouseover] not [target=mouseovertarget]
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Just to clarify, I'm not putting the mouse over a bad guy, I'm putting the mouse over a friendly unit frame, and trying to target the target of whom I am mousing over.

Doc, What does the @ do?

Quote Originally Posted by Destruyen View Post
    its [target=mouseover] not [target=mouseovertarget]
    Well you're right but it won't help because he wants so hover the mouse over his raidframe and taunting while hovering over a raid member.
    That will not work because Dark Command is a direct Taunt so you have to select an enemy for taunting.
    And you can't predict if the raid member that has aggro also has the enemy he has aggro from as his target.

What I usually do is switching on the name plates and use a mouseover taunt macro you can see if you are loosing aggro.
    Then I just hover over the name plate of the mob and press the taunt hotkey.

Works quite well but you have to be careful not taunting the boss if you are not tanking in a raid. Lichking and Anub'arak are such fights (its really dangerous to taunt Anub when you facing is back tanking 4 adds at once :P )

#showtooltip Taunt
    /cast[target=mouseover, harm, nodead]Taunt;[target=target]Taunt

Should work if you just switch Taunt to Dark Command.

It's not what you want but it's as close as you can get.
    But I'm not super good with macros so there might be a way to accomplish what you asked for.
    Wer reitet so spät durch Nacht und Wind?
    Es ist der Kodo mit seinem Rind.

ah my bad, guess i skimmed a bit too quickly while reading the post.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Thinking about it more, I probably need to alter my taunting methodology because, as was pointed out, a party member like the healer likely won't be targeting the mob that's attacking it, so taunting the target of my mouse over would be pointless. I suppose I need to just use a basic mouse over macro to taunt the actual mob that I see attacking the healer.

Re: Taunt Macro Help

When you are tanking trash as a dk you shouldn't be losing threat to your dps. We have some of the strongest aoe threat in the game.

Try using an addon like Skull Me which you can set to mark your primary target with a skull after selecting it, from 1 to 5 seconds later (I use 2 seconds as I was confusing the dps by tab targeting at 1 second and remarking mobs over and over). This way you don't have to worry about which mobs the dps are single targeting, it's their job to kill skull first.

As for aoe threat, if you are blood; morbidity combined with glyph of d&d with 2pc t10 is more aoe threat than any other tank can generate, and when you toss in BB and a couple HS's it's even better. Frost; d&d, HB & BB.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

Here comes your problem with mouseover taunt macro's when dealing with trash. There is no guarentee that the target they ripped is the one they are targeting, I know from personal experience as a fury warrior, that I always rip the adds im not specifically targeting during trash pulls. The best thing you can do is to use a nameplate clearly identifies which npc's are attacking you, and which aren't, couple that with MTLove(which places a text box at mouse over to show you who the mob is attacking) for when you have more than 1 tank tanking trash. The fastest way for you to taunt a mob, is to specifically target it, or make a mouseover taunt macro thats designed for hostile targets. Otherwise you will be stuck hoping the person who ripped is actually targeting the npc that they ripped.

Attempting to do things this way is fundamentally flawed, and goes back to issues with the TauntMaster addon. You can't guarentee that the other person in your group is targeting the unit you wish to taunt. For example, your healer could be targeting you and healing you yet pull aggro on a pat that happened to walk within range. They aren't targeting the mob you want to taunt, they are targeting you to heal you. So you can't taunt off of them assuming that they will be targeting what they have aggro on. In ICC for instance, as a balance druid I have this lovely ability called TAUNTfall that seems to rain taunts down from the sky and I tend to end up with aggro from something at some point. I'm not explicitly targeting that mob, I'm AoEing. There is no way as a tank you could reliably taunt off me if I never target the unit I pulled aggro on in the first place.

NEVER use secondary targets on taunts. This only encourages bad practice and you will fall into the situation where it will not work and you nevere bothered to learn a correct technique. Only a Paladin's Righteous Defense can reliably taunt off a player by targeting a player because you do not taunt their target but rather up to three targets that are aggroed on that player.

The prefered method of taunting is to use nameplates with threat situation indicated so you can determine what is aggroed on yourself and what is not.

This isn't a problem with mouseover macros. This isn't a problem with taunt macros. This is a problem with macros that involve a secondary target. Never use a secondary target in a taunt.

mouseovertarget, the target of the mouseover is a secondary target.
    targettarget, the target of your target is a secondary target.
    partyNtarget, the target of partyN is a secondary target.
    raidNtarget, the target of raidN is a secondary target.
    focustarget, the target of your focus is a secondary target.

You can not guarentee that any of your primary targets, mouseover, target, focus, partyN, or raidN are actually targeting the right thing for you to taunt. You can't guarentee anyone else ever does what you need them to do. You have to be able to do it right yourself, or you are bound to failure.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I would never choose a mouseover taunt macro with my DK, as taunting the correct target is rather critical and nameplates tend to jump around in AoE situations - on paladin it's much less of a worry. Just learn to click instantly on the mob and taunt when it occurs - with practice it's not so much of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GoOrange View Post
    Just to clarify, I'm not putting the mouse over a bad guy, I'm putting the mouse over a friendly unit frame, and trying to target the target of whom I am mousing over.

Doc, What does the @ do?
    '@' is instead of 'target=' so you'd do [@mouseover]. Just make it a habbit to use @ instead of target=

Quote Originally Posted by Khilbron View Post
    The best thing you can do is to use a nameplate clearly identifies which npc's are attacking you
    The TidyPlates addon has some nice features

Quote Originally Posted by Erred View Post
    The TidyPlates addon has some nice features
    Yes it does, and I use tidyplates, however i didn't want to tell him, "use tidyplates" because maybe he doesn't like the look or feel of it. I was merely making a suggestion for him to research some nameplates, that will help him with his tanking.

After further testing, my macros did work perfectly as written, mouseovertarget is a valid expression. Those macros, similar to addons like Tauntmaster, are next to useless because of party members not targeting that which is attacking them.

I've since switched to standard mouseover macros, bound to scroll wheel up and down for my basic taunts. Since I'm new to tanking, it takes a little practice to figure out which mob is targetting which player (especially when a ranged damage dealer is targeting my healer), but I'm getting better.

I have been using tidy plates, but need to keep tweaking it to optimize it for my tastes. Did a heroic the other day (either AK or AN) and had the screen completely filled up with plates for dozens of mobs on the floor immediately below us, making it rather difficult to pick up targets of importance. Also, the standard color and size schemes for who I'm tanking and who I've lost aggro on haven't sunk in yet so I may need to alter them to make them more recognizable.

One question I had with the plates was that I heard that you actually needed to be targeting a mob to get accurate threat info for that mob. In other words, If I'm attacking mob A only, the plates won't give accurate info for my threat on mob B. Is this correct?

Nameplates themselves evaluate UnitThreatSituation API which measures your threat with that target as a range. You have secure threat, you are losing threat, you are pulling threat, or you are safe. UnitThreatSituation only requires knowing of one unit id, in this case the player id or yourself, in order to determine the threat range of that unit on the target. Nameplates are assigned to GUIDs only, there is no unique unit id other than their globally unique id which can not be used by these types of APIs. A valid unit id for instance would be "target".

There is a second API called UnitDetailedThreatSituation. That API requires two unit ids, that of the unit you wish to measure threat for, "player" again, and the second to be the unit you wish to measure your threat against. Because this API requires unit ids and can not use GUIDs which is the only information known to a name plate, it is impossible to measure the exact threat value you have on a target that can't be resolved by a unit id. If you mouse over the target, it is represented by the "mouseover" unit id. If you are targeting the unit it is represented by the "target" unit id. So on name plates for those units you can actually measure the actual value of threat you have.

Nameplates can tell you in general what your threat is at, but it can't tell you detailed information about your threat unless you can resolve a unit id assosicated with the name plate.

http://www.wowwiki.com/API_UnitThreatSituation
    http://www.wowwiki.com/API_UnitDetailedThreatSituation
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

+ Reply to Thread