+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bear Tanking Advice Requested

Bear Tanking Advice Requested

Hi all, after putting the finishing touches on my 3rd Tank (My DK), I'm now working on my 4th...the Drood.

Her current gear:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ldum&cn=Namira

I've read the guide here:
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...al-Druid-Guide
    and dissected the threat parsser for abilities as well.

I am only speaking of 5 man heroics and the weekly Boss as far as tanking goes. I'm not in a progression guild anymore, and am just having fun playing with some RL friends and just poking around doing my own thing mostly.

I'm finding that my AE threat in instances is nigh non-existent. I pull a group, the DPS start AE'ing and they end up getting smashed.

I usually start with a Charge, Demo Roar adn Swipe. I then FF my target, Mangle, Lacerate, Mangle, Lacerate, Lacerate (Maul when ample rage), Swipe...rinse and repeat. I keep Demo and FF up, adn I work to get a 5 stack of Lacerate, all while tabbing to at least mangle each mob. The problme is, I find I'm chasing loose mobs almost from teh get go.

I understand that her "miscellaneous" gear needs work, I'm working on rings, trinkets etc, but her basic gear isn't horrid, especially considering that Im just running heroics.

It "could" be that the DPS are just not being as careful as they would with a 5K Gear Score Tank, but it doesnt "feel" like that. My other 80 tanks are all around the 4200-4500 ish Gear Score range and I have zero problems with threat on them. The Druid just feels awkward for some reason adn I'm just wondering if folks have some advice to toss out.

Thanks for keeping the "Newb, you suxxors" to a minimum ;-)P I'm well aware of my newbness with the Bear. I haven't played a Bear tank since Sunwell, hence my asking for advice.

Druid aoe is beyond boring. You cannot use globals for anything but swipe or you will lose agro.

your aoe ability IS swipe. You can pretty much get away with just 1 simple macro :
    /cast maul
    /cast swipe

other than that spam, use demo roar and FF a couple targets if they aren't going down in a hurry. remember maul is your best aggro move by far.
    Also moving the 2 points out of Improved MoTW and the 1 out of OoC and putting those into naturalist would be a great help with your threat as well

Ok so if I'm swiping lot's and having agro pulled off me, it's most likely that I need to jack my Att. Power more? Or just tell teh group to follow my lead on targets? Either way I'm guessing that Bear Tanking is going to be more challenging than the other 3 as far as AE goes?

Bear AoE isn't a 'wait one GCD and go' type of thing. Ideally you've targeted multiple mobs and hit everyone with at least one maul, so there's a few seconds before AoE can go nuts. You have good threat on AoE but nothing that snaps like tclap or AS/HotR. So it can be dangerous that way.

If you have aggro pulled off of you, honestly - it's probably because the DPS are outgearing you. You just need to learn to deal. And swipe/maul more.

I've found tabbing occasionally and putting FF on a new target helps but maul/swipe is the bread and butter.

I would get a better Idol ASAP, particularly the one that gives chance to proc agility. I think it's the ilvl226 one.

And yea, as long you're Mauling every attack and spamming Swipe and switching to different targets to hit them with Maul, that's pretty much all you can do.
    Con Brio is recruiting! Look within for details. www.conbrioguild.org
    Mage Guide Author
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...skies/advanced

The AOE tanking rotation you give is a little overcomplex -

On pull, you just want to be maul+swipe spamming until you have a considerable threat lead. You can swap target to make sureverything gets a maul (I take it maul is gyphed?). Things like demo roar, lacerate and FF are unlikely to be worth it in a very short multiple target pull. Remember that for 2 or 3 mobs beserk can give you monstrous threat, and probably will see you out DPSing the rest of your group.

Quote Originally Posted by blbbax View Post
    The AOE tanking rotation you give is a little overcomplex -

On pull, you just want to be maul+swipe spamming until you have a considerable threat lead. You can swap target to make sureverything gets a maul (I take it maul is gyphed?). Things like demo roar, lacerate and FF are unlikely to be worth it in a very short multiple target pull. Remember that for 2 or 3 mobs beserk can give you monstrous threat, and probably will see you out DPSing the rest of your group.
    That is not my AE rotation. That is my regular single target rotation. Sorry I should have made that more clear. I know full well that the only AE I have is Swipe adn Demo roar. I am sure this is just because the DPS are unloading the moment I charge. I can usuall tell by the Reign of Fire or Blizzard thats on the pack before I even get there ;-)P

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
    I would get a better Idol ASAP, particularly the one that gives chance to proc agility. I think it's the ilvl226 one.

And yea, as long you're Mauling every attack and spamming Swipe and switching to different targets to hit them with Maul, that's pretty much all you can do.

I already know that I need some better items in some slots, as I stated in the original post. That Idol is on my "To purchase" list for sure. I am more looking for advice on the actual ability rotations or advice that folks have in regards to the AE tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by felhoof View Post
    Bear AoE isn't a 'wait one GCD and go' type of thing. Ideally you've targeted multiple mobs and hit everyone with at least one maul, so there's a few seconds before AoE can go nuts. You have good threat on AoE but nothing that snaps like tclap or AS/HotR. So it can be dangerous that way.

If you have aggro pulled off of you, honestly - it's probably because the DPS are outgearing you. You just need to learn to deal. And swipe/maul more.

I think this is more what my issue is. The DPS don't wait for the tanks to even get into position let alone get any thrreat laid down before they open up. It's a known issue with 5 mans, that I just need ot find a way to deal with. I'm finding that single target threat isnt a big problem, even when I'm out GS'd by 1000 or more. I was just hoping that someone had the solution to the slow ramp up of AE threat, which I'm seeing is pretty much just going to be a pain in the fuzzybutt :-)

Thanks for all the advice, I'm finding that the "tabbing through targets" advice is workign a bit better for me. Kind of like tanking with a warrior back in TBC, when thunderclap was stinky poo cheese.

I'm finding as my Att Pow goes up it becomes easier to hold a bit more agro. Obviously the harder I hit the better, but it's given me some pause to think about.

if people really dont wanna wait for you you should have a taunt that targets everyone in a certain range. it has a long CD but its helpful if you really need it. also there is a single target taunt that has a much shorter CD you could tab through to make sure all is on you and if not pop that.

If the DPS is attacking before the pull or even at the pull I go with a simple rule - you pull it, you tank it.

Also, one of the biggest threat gains you can get is through armor pen, oddly enough. If your threat is bad and you're hit/expertise capped (softcapped), try going for arpen instead of AP.

+ Reply to Thread