+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burning Crusade tanking advice

Burning Crusade tanking advice

I decided to level a dk, b/c I've only ever done healing, and wanted to try a tank. So I spec'd blood and I've been doing okay so far, I think, but if anyone remembers how to do this, I could use some advice...

The first pull in auchenai crypts is killer. I have no clue how to handle it. I have tried pulling the mob that walks back and forth way back at max death grip range, I've tried walking up and mind freezing one caster, dragging it into place, and deathgripping another one into my dnd, but even if I manage to secure aggro on everything (rarely), and even if I manage to avoid getting mind controlled, I just get trainwrecked. I can't even use my blood runes for threat b/c I am busy rune tapping, vampiric blood/death striking, using a health pot, popping ibf, and summoning and sacrificing a ghoul (I don't have ams yet at level 67).

So basically I would like to know how to get and secure aggro on a large group of casters without getting trainwrecked....Is the answer to just wait till I get ams?

Question 2, unrelated: How many of you have a separate macro simply for rune striking?

For now, I just bound /cast !Rune Strike to every other ability that I use, but sometimes I want to make sure I have my 3 runes up for dnd on the next pull, but I'd still like to rune strike, so I've been thinking about makinkg a separate keybinding for it, although I'm already running out...

Rune Strike should be macro'd into all of your other strikes (i.e. Heart Strike, Death Strike, Plague Strike)... I don't remember the exact macro but it's something like:

#showtooltip Heart Strike
    /cast !Rune Strike
    /cast Heart Strike

And just replace Heart Strike with Death Strike of Plague Strike... The ! stops Rune Strike from cancelling itself since it's an "on next attack" strike... Although i'm not entirely sure it's necessary anymore but, it works all the same.

Also, if you're tanking instances, i'd go frost spec, it has great snap aggro. You won't have an AoE aggro problem and as a Death Knight in Outlands you won't have an aggro problem on bosses at all.

If that's the instance i'm thinking of, make sure your DPS are killing the mind control totem things.

only problem with Frost Tanking is it sucks in Steam Vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    only problem with Frost Tanking is it sucks in Steam Vaults.
    Dual spec with Unholy, almost as good sustained AoE threat and superior single target threat.

So blood is not a good tanking spec? The MT for my guild in ICC 25 heroic modes is blood, and he never seems to have any issues. I guess that is b/c he is almost all BiS though.

Anyways, I've moved on to Utgarde Keep on the dk, thanks for the responses so far :P.

And yes, it was the mind control that was messing us up; i didn't realize before -.-...But once those mobs were killed it got a lot easier.

I feel like I'm getting trainwrecked again in UK, though...I have ams, ibf, rune tap, and vamp blood pretty much on cd the whole instance, as well as my ghoul and using death pact. It could possibly be a healing issue, though...I had a string of runs with healers telling me I was too squishy, then I had one with a priest that didn't say anything and kept me up just fine and didn't have to drink after every pull like the other healers...I didn't even have to rune tap much with this one.

I also just hit 72 and put the 25 defense enchant on my weapon so hopefully that'll help, although my parry looks really really low after I took that 4% parry enchant off of it.

12.5% parry, 16.5% dodge, 415 defense, 15k hp in frost, and 13.5k armor with horn of winter...Does that sound ok to be tanking early wotlk instances?

I am having 0 threat issues, btw...everything sticks to me like glue ever since I added that !Rune Strike macro posted above and tab through the mobs.

keep in mind, hes doing heroic 25 icc, you are doing tbc instances :P

Frost is stronger for lesser geared tanks, what makes blood so appealing is the extra EH they have

Quote Originally Posted by serabeth View Post
    So blood is not a good tanking spec? The MT for my guild in ICC 25 heroic modes is blood, and he never seems to have any issues. I guess that is b/c he is almost all BiS though.
    ICC Raids and 5 mans are on extreme ends of the spectrum, so what is good advice for one is not necessarily good advice for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by serabeth View Post
    I feel like I'm getting trainwrecked again in UK, though...I have ams, ibf, rune tap, and vamp blood pretty much on cd the whole instance, as well as my ghoul and using death pact. It could possibly be a healing issue, though...I had a string of runs with healers telling me I was too squishy, then I had one with a priest that didn't say anything and kept me up just fine and didn't have to drink after every pull like the other healers...I didn't even have to rune tap much with this one.
    I still recommend you go Frost Spec. You'll get extra physical damage mitigation and your threat will be even more concrete than it is now.

As Blood you are going to take more damage than Frost, what makes up for it is the extra Health and improved Self-Healing you can do when used properly.

+ Reply to Thread