+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Check my DK tank! Need advice

Check my DK tank! Need advice

Hey Guys,

This is my first post here but,

I am wondering about my DK tank. hes pretty good I think for not doing ICC yet, but im just wondering what I should work for. Basically, how good is he for his gear?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ord&cn=Lucalis

Also, I REALLY need some good tanking addons, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Also, I have a ton of gold, should I make Pillars of Might, or save and get tier or a drop from ICC?

His gear is certainly adequate to start ICC 10. You shouldn't have much difficulty, provided you know the fights. With the 25% buff gear is no longer the benchmark for the quality of a tank (and in many ways it never was). It's all in how you play him.

The choice to buy the legs is yours. Saronite prices are dropping across the board so the legs should no longer cost upwards of 12k gold to make. Personally, I would choose to wait out the T10 from VoA or the legplates from Saurfang and save the cash for something else.

For addons as a DK Tank, I would recommend Omen, Recount, Deadly Boss Mods, DKInfoRunes/DkInfoDiseases, some sort of bar mod, and some sort of raid frame.

As Gutfang said, gearwise you'll be fine. My warrior is similar if not worse geared than him and I tanked 11/12 on ten man with 20% so with 25% you should be laughing.

I would disagree with Gutfang though. The Pillars are just so good. I would suggest crafting them to anyone, you won't replace them outside of 25man heroics and even then it's marginal. Cash is only cash, its purpose is to allow you to buy things. Why then not buy them and sit on the cash? Seems odd to me. Also, if your main is done with badges and is clearing the place fairly regularly you should be able to front some or most of the saronite yourself. Silly not to IMHO.

He's covered the addons pretty well, though I prefer Skada to Recount, and DXE (Deus Vox Encoutners) to DBM but that's just personal preference. I also hate DKI runes, though to be fair I haven't found one I do like since Acherus broke

Edit: Also! I'm really not a fan of 2H frost in general. I find it lacking compared to either Blood or DW frost. If you enjoy the frost playstyle I would heavily recommend going dual wield. If you enjoy having a big axe and a big healthpool I would recommend blood. 2H frost isn't such a crime for a tank as a DPS but I would still suggest switching to one or the other.
    Last edited by Wrathydied; 07-06-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks guys,

Yeah, I figured that I should be able to start 10m icc with my gear, just wanted to see what some other people said. As for pillars, yeah I do have my main clearing icc pretty nicely, but i already fronted alot of my primordials to make my boots so i would prob have to buy them. ill prob have to wait tho, because I have only 541 defense and since pillars dont give defense, I need to get that elsewhere first

Yeah Ive been debating on switching specs, i dont think i would like DW too much, but I really like the frost playstyle so idk if I would want to switch specs, especially with the ease of AOE tanking frost gives.

Thanks for your advice so far, any more help is greatly apperciated!

Just a note on the DKI addons. I don't care much for the runes, and as frost they may not be so important, but I love DKI "Diseases" for blood. I move the disease markers front and slightly off center and I can instantly tell whether the mob (or mobs) I'm tanking have one or both diseases up just by targeting through them. The sliders work just like a button timer and they let me know exactly when to throw out my next pestilence.

Is there an addon that lets me know if someone pulls off me? Even better would be one that lets me target the mob so I can taunt/grip it

Quote Originally Posted by Kahtee View Post
    Is there an addon that lets me know if someone pulls off me? Even better would be one that lets me target the mob so I can taunt/grip it
    I would try a name plates addon that shows threat. The mob name plate will glow red when they are aggroed to you, and stop glowing red if they move off to someone else. There are a few out there, and I think one is called TidyPlates. I use TukUI (www.tukui.org), and it's built into that. Also, make sure you can see the target of your target, so you can see if they're no longer targeting you. Another thing is in the name display options. Make sure you can see when "Miscellaneous" things take place. It will show floating text saying "Switched Target" or something like that. (I tank just about all the time; you'd think I could remember what it says. Oh well.)

I use Tuk UI too and it's great. (Screenshot (I know I look like a twat for chosing that one but it was the most recent one on the guild website xD.. And my TankWarnings message is still set to the frost duration for IBF but ssh))

But yes, TidyPlates and the related TidyThreatPlates are very good for what you're after. It's TidyThreatPlates that you're after but it's dependant on TidyPlates.

I do need a new rune addon though, I just wish Acherus or whatever it was hadn't stopped working
    Last edited by Wrathydied; 07-08-2010 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathydied View Post
    I do need a new rune addon though, I just wish Acherus or whatever it was hadn't stopped working
    I have been using MagicRunes for as long as I can remember. It is very customizable. If you think of a way you want them displayed, you can probably do it.

Here's an old, crappy video I made. My UI has changed A LOT since then (for the better, and I'm on TukUI now), but you can see MagicRunes at work. I'm still using them the same now, too.

Hmm, cheers, I'll check it out.

Here's a pic of acherus in action, don't have any vids unfortunately and my UI's a fair bit tidier now with all my own addons that weren't part of Tuk xD. But yeah, it just worked for me, and I liked the way I could group the runes how I wanted them etc. I'll checkout magicrunes though, if it's as customizable as you say then it might well do the job! I tried DKI runes for a while but I didn't get on with it at all, I found it about as useful as a chocolate teapot

Tauntmaster can function as raidframes that provide threat warnings. Just don't count on the addon's additional "taunt" functionality. I used it at one time but, like the others on here, would recommend Tidyplates "Threatplates." That's what I use now.

+ Reply to Thread