+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help with choosing Prot gear (Warrior)

Need help with choosing Prot gear (Warrior)

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...has&cn=Kreldin

I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I have to choose between certain pieces of gear and I need help. I'm a Warrior, by the way.

Currently, I only have one piece of T10, the leggings (Sanctified, 264). I recently picked up a Protector's Mark and am considering getting a second piece of Sanctified to get the two-piece bonus. The 20% increase to shockwave and shield slam seems good. Question is, is it worth dropping my current gear to pick up the second tier piece, which is inferior stat-wise?

For my helm, I'm using the Broken Ram Skull Helm. Gloves, the Gauntlets of the Kraken. Shoulders, Boneguard Commander's Pauldrons. Chest, Cataclysmic Chestguard. These are all superior to the T10 pieces, according to many BiS lists. However, I'm of the opinion that the 2-piece is worth it.

I was leaning towards dropping the Boneguard Commander's Pauldrons and picking up the t10 shoulders. I gain 12 stamina and 8 parry, but lose a whole gem slot, so I will lose a little chunk of health. Is it worth it?

Secondly, if the 2 piece is NOT worth it, should I drop the t10 leggings and get the Pillars of Might? I know the Pillars are BiS, but if I drop the t10 leggins, I go from 26 expertise (capped) to 16, which is a pretty big drop.

Third, : what's more important, 152 health (not stamina) or 532 armor? If the health is, I stick with my current configuration; if the armor is, I drop my ring, Harbinger's Bone Band, and take the Heroic Twin Val'kyr ring, and replace my weapon, Heroic Blood & Glory, with Bonebreaker Scepter from 10m Marrowgar. I can't use both Bonebreaker and Heroic Twin Valk because my hit rating will drop from 7.32% to 6.16%, which just seems too low to me. 7.32% is already below the cap (should I just use the Bonebreaker and Harbinger to go above 8%?)

Thanks for the help.

Nice gear, wish mine was up to this problem. As expertise and hit seem to figure in your thinking, have you read? http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...t-for-3.3.3%29

The Broken Ram Skull helm is not superior to T10, the only real stats you should be looking at are survival-oriented, namely Stamina and Armor. Additionally, the shoulders are a downgrade EH wise, but picking up a bonus should make up for it. Typically what I see tanks doing is taking the tier shoulders and helm and using the rest from crafted or badge gear. If you need taunts not to miss, glyph it and switch helms for that fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

So I'm getting the feeling hit/expertise are kinda useless. I really don't stay on top of theorycrafting stuff, so it's news to me. Hm.

It's not that they are useless, it's that people put too much weight on the stats. The fact is, if your rotation or spec is whack, more threat stats will not help you, they only will if your threat is already good. A proper raid will get tricks and MD on the tank from all hunters and rogues directly on the pull, then after that it should be a tight rotation and proper spammage that gets you through. With all the changes to tank threat and damage since 3.0 Blizzard effectively made threat a faceroll for the entire expansion.

And now that that's explained, survivability (read: effective health) should be the focus of your gearing strategy. Since the 2pc bonus is so strong damage-wise, however, it's good to pick up the bonus without sacrificing too much EH, the helm obviously does not lose any to the Ram Skull, but the shoulders, gloves chest and legs do, some more than others. Pillars are a must, so the legs are out. The Kraken gloves and Cataclysmic chest have extra gem slots and more armor at the 264 level, so they are out at least until 277 heroic tokens are obtained. This leaves the shoulders, which have no bonus armor and miss one gem slot, as the one to switch out for the Tier if you are getting the bonus.

The shoulders are the least EH loss of any of the other items... it's like 8 stam or something. The T10 chest/gloves aren't AS bad since they got buffed, but cata and kraken are technically better individually (and the cata chest solves most if not all expertise "issues" you might have if your exp levels are uncomfortably low).

Edit: if you're getting into 277 level content then you have to pick up the 264 T10 gloves/chest anyways because at 277 they are BiS so you might as well grab them as you're making that transition.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Moved to HALP!

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Edit: if you're getting into 277 level content then you have to pick up the 264 T10 gloves/chest anyways because at 277 they are BiS so you might as well grab them as you're making that transition.
    I meant to add this but was half way out the door when I posted my response and forgot!

+ Reply to Thread