+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Tank Help

New Tank Help

Hi there.
    I have been wanting to roll a tank for a while now, but as I have no experience, I am a little hesitant to just throw myself in there.
    My only characters are an 80 DK and a 35 or so resto druid. I have a level 55 warrior but as that was my first character, it's totally messed up and I am now entirely unfamiliar with the class mechanics.

So my question is this - where would be the best place to start tanking? Which class is easiest to learn with; should I be tanking from 15 or wait until a higher level; and are there any other preparations that you would recommend before I start tanking?

Thanks,
    Dkapi

Start tanking immediately. Starting at the low levels will give you teh practice you need for a higher level.

I tried to start tanking with a Paladin, but it didn't really fit my playstyle. I really enjoy the warrior tank.

You might also want to consider waiting for Cata to come out, because if you are in mid leveling of the tank it might through your whole gears off.

You also might want to consider goign through and resetting your warrior, and practice by working runs in the Stockades or the Deadmines.

I personally enjoy tanking the most on my druid. If you're looking for a cakewalk, tank with a paladin. Tanking with my paladin is so easy it's ridiculous. I find it more challenging/entertaining to tank with classes that use rage (my warrior was fun too but they have a lot of different stuff goin on, druid was a good balance of just bare bones essentials). I've also tanked with my DK which IMO wasn't challenging either, rather easy.

Best place to start tanking is just watch some videos and start queuing up some randoms. I'd say try to queue nonheroics at first.

The easiest class to learn how to tank with is basically the one you feel yourself comfortable with and you think is fun.
    And ofc you should start tanking at lvl 15 by doing that you're gonna get a hang of it and it'll feel like the easiest thing to do around 40 or so.
    The preparations? Not really much to say there, just spec correctly and just remember to always have your +threat ability up (frost presence, righteous fury etc.).

You're welcome.

Probably the best way to start tanking would be with your level 80 in Wotlk instances. Wotlk instances are quicker and more straightforward than earlier ones, plus you can focus on getting gear and learning tactics rather than accumulating experience. Levelling as a tank is not ideal - pre-level 60, it's slow and often tank classes lack key skills at low level (rage or mana starved etc). Depending on how experienced you are, you might want to do regular instances to learn them rather than leap into heroics.

Preparation is very important for a tank and involves both gear and knowledge. Read up on DK tanking gear - there's a fair amount of good craftable stuff if you have gold. Make sure you are uncrittable, then focus on raising your effective health. You could run as DPS for a while until you have enough emblems for some tanking gear. Find out the cookie cutter DK tanking spec (if one exists). Read up on the basics of DK tanking.

Develop a thick skin when starting out tanking wotlk instances. Tell people at the start you are a new tank and gearing up. Good players will make allowances, help out and perhaps offer constructive advice. Ignore other players if they are not being constructive. Ideally, start your new career with supportive guild mates: by grouping with them on their dailies, you shorten their queue times.

All the advice above is right on except for what theodisius said about level a tank not being ideal. I respectfully disagree. I am rolling a warrior as we speak, just dinged 56. I have tanking experience on my druid and pally, and wanted to try a warrior now. Level prot even while doing quests. One thing that helps me, is to do your quests as if you were in an instance. In that i mean, tank the mobs. It will help get your abilities into muscle memory, so you can just do withought thinking. I try to take on at least 3 mobs at a time, and hope they are runners. If one runs, pretend that it is going for the healer, and intercept, shield slam, and run back to pack. Little things like that will help in the long run. OH ya, not to mention you will do more damage leveling prot anyway..LOL, go figure. You will love seing those 3K revenge crits at lvl 55.

Good luck with your tanking. Just stick with it and run as many randoms while leveling as you can. Ignore the jackass DPS who love to cry fail tank, because they attack the wrong mob and pull aggro. Its gonna happen, and happen a lot. Don't let it get to you.
    Last edited by Grannos; 07-27-2010 at 06:07 AM.

Thanks for all the advice guys
    I'm going to wait till cata to roll anything that's specifically a tank, just because of the changes to def rating etc.
    I think I'll probably going to roll a pala to be my tank, just because I already have the other three to dualspec on if I don't like it.

I'd not say that tanking as a paladin is "ridiculously easy" - Keeping up a flawless 96969-rotation (without using a macro) while maintaining awareness requires a lot of practice and muscle memory.

That said, I'm really looking forward to the depth added to the paladin tanking in cata, with holy power and crusader strike
    "You pull it, you tank it" -Ajire
    Armory: Ajire@Scarshield Legion.EU

+ Reply to Thread