+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Our prot war keeps dying

Our prot war keeps dying

Hello all,

As the title implies, we're having an issue keeping our protection warrior alive during encounters. This would manifest itself in normal modes as well but is particularly painful during heroic attempts. Since I know almost next to nothing about taking as a warrior, I'm looking to community professionals to see if there is any way to help increase his surviability.

This may or may not be a healing issue, I'm really not 100% convinced, however with the same healers on our paladin tank we don't really see these issues. I do know that based on the current paladin mechanics they block a lot more damage and thus may be smoother to heal, but I don't think that quite expains the differences between their surviability. On a couple occasions during the LK encounter our warrior would get two shot on the pull.

Here are a couple of logs to look at plus him armory. Any insight into what we can do to improve this is appreicated.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-9f7x68o5l4dk8tsg/ -- ROTFACE
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-sqq4zuln3trjbjda/ -- BQL
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3qq5c4wgc7fufkqv/ -- BQL

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Mutedsilence

Thanks in advance for any help you all have to offer.

If he is getting ganked on pulls or tank swaps, ask him if he is using a cooldown of some sort when doing so. I generally use pop shield block and/or Last stand on pulls. Especially when I need to position a Boss, or the healers are moving into position. That is generally your most vulnerable time of any fight. You need to be a bit proactive at times to keep yourself alive and help out your healers.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=31852

That's why the pally is 'easier' to heal. Damage reduction and 1 get out of jail free card. It isn't that pallys are any easier to heal, it's they have an ability that is more forgiving to slow reaction times by all parties.

For Rotface, is he moving rotface out of the way of the exploding ooze droplets? Any idea if there is a specific mechanic that is leading to death (like 2 healers getting oozed?). It seemed like (if I'm reading the logs correctly) there were some really unexplainable damage bursts that might be from getting hit by multiple oozelets?

BQL - it looks like there's some huge damage spike in many of the wipes - any idea what is causing that? In some of the others it looked like heals fell off first. Maybe one of the AoE abilities of hers and DPS was slow to move out of the fight area?

Others that can read logs better than I will probably have better info.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Nez View Post
    If he is getting ganked on pulls or tank swaps, ask him if he is using a cooldown of some sort when doing so. I generally use pop shield block and/or Last stand on pulls. Especially when I need to position a Boss, or the healers are moving into position. That is generally your most vulnerable time of any fight. You need to be a bit proactive at times to keep yourself alive and help out your healers.
    That was more a statement to show the damage that he takes, in our LK fight we're all prepositioned and hes in range of healers. Normally he's not getting gibbed at the start of the fight but we do find him face down quite often. I suspect that either he may not be timing or using cooldowns properly or that something is wrong with his gear/spec but nothing really sticks out to me. He announces to the raid when he's used his cooldowns and it seems that they're all gone rather early in the fight. However without them he's just dead. The healers tell me that he takes monster hits the damage is very spikey and if he takes two large hits in a row it's lights out.

Okay... having a quick look... your warrior needs to become familiar with his cooldowns. For Marrowgar (which is the BEST tank comparison fight I have found)... he took the most damage of the three. The reason? He blocked less than the Paladins. Having a look at "buffs cast"... Shield block - 1. This is just poor cooldown use... he didn't even use shield wall, only shield block once, and last stand once. I'm also not seeing a weapon enchant proc... meaning he doesn't have a 'on proc' weapon enchant.... or he doesn't have one.

I would say you should probably send him to the site to read up on this thread: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-Tanking-Guide
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Well gemming/enchanting wise there's not TOO much wrong. He's activated his meta in the wrong place for starters though. that 10dodge/15stam gem should be in his helm, not his neck. 275 HP to chest is also far better than 10 stats, however I doubt either of these are the reason he's dying.

The real reason he is dying is due to very poor gearing decisions. Mainly due to lack of armor, at his gear levels he should not be below 34k armor, the gear he has picked both causes him to have less EHP and makes the healers work a little harder because he's taking the "convient" pieces over the armor pieces. I.E. it looks like he got some drops and was like "oh well this is an ilevel 264 belt I'll just take this over the frost emblem stuff."

Belt: The badge belt is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. It's pretty much BiS, he needs to get it ASAP.
    Legs: This is the biggest one, he currenty has the weakest legs equipped that are 264 or higher. He needs to pick up Pillars of Might real bad. They are the EHP BiS and have the most armor of any leg piece in the game. The only other legs that come close are 277 Legguards of Lost Hope and those still have less EHP, just a bunch more stam but a lot less armor.

But this breaks his 4 pc!

This is why the 4pc (if you chose to go for it at 264 levels, but since you're starting hardmodes he should be getting it because the 4pc is awesome for HMs/277 level stuff) is generally taken with chest/helm/shoulders/gloves. The T10 chest got buffed and they took off the defense (which he's way over crit cap and can easily equip the chest and pillars without dipping below 536 [since he has the resil shoulder enchant]) and added a bunch of armor. It's close to the cata chest in EHP at 264 and is BiS at the 277 level.

Rings: Jug's band is bad. I would use clutch of fortification, H-Band of the Twink Valks, or the Ony25 ring over Jug's band any day hands down.

Cloak: NEEDS THE FROST EMBLEM CLOAK. It is leagues better than what he has, I'm pretty certain it's BiS.

Other gear he should pick up: devium's ring and the grimskull boots. When he drops the T10 pants for pillars he's gonna lose a large chunk of his expertise but as long as his threat is fine (which is far more dependant upon spec/rotation than gemming/gearing) then you don't need to worry about it. Grimskull boots are very good and will make up any expertise lost to acceptable levels.

Umm... that's all I can think of for now, those changes should net him ~5k Armor without much loss of stam and that will help him survive way more.

Remember folks, EHP isn't just Stam, it's a function of Armor and Stamina.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Oh also, what they said about cooldowns. Shield Block is an extremely underrated ability and the proper use of it, I contend, can make the difference between a good warrior and a great warrior. I use it very frequently, either that or last stand is usually the first cooldown I hit and I definitely hit shield block on pulls.

Imo if a tank dies and they haven't pressed every button they reasonably could have to survive, then it's just as much their fault as the healer who may or may not have forgotten to empty their drool cup, or was playing farmville while healing, or whatever.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    For Rotface, is he moving rotface out of the way of the exploding ooze droplets? Any idea if there is a specific mechanic that is leading to death (like 2 healers getting oozed?). It seemed like (if I'm reading the logs correctly) there were some really unexplainable damage bursts that might be from getting hit by multiple oozelets?
    That's a good question not sure but its possible. We had his assigned healer make sure that he moved with the tank so that he wouldn't be out of range of heals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    BQL - it looks like there's some huge damage spike in many of the wipes - any idea what is causing that? In some of the others it looked like heals fell off first. Maybe one of the AoE abilities of hers and DPS was slow to move out of the fight area?
    Others that can read logs better than I will probably have better info.
    To be fair, we know that there were/are some healing issues. The guy has been a warr tank for a long time, I assume that he knows what he's doing but perhaps his knowledge is somewhat out of date and thus is causing some of the issues that we're seeing. The huge spikes on BQL are exactly what the healers are complaning about. He drops like a rock. Looking at his death report after a wipe dosen't show anything unusual except that he took rather large hits before he died. That's why I'm looking to you all to see if there is anything that can be done to help mitigate some of that damage.

The thing with the warrior toolkit being bigger and having all these abilities to use is that you have to actually use them.

Looking at your Rotface attempts: when your Paladin isn't there, nobody's keeping up an AP debuff on the boss (Vindication, Demo Shout, etc.). Thunderclap uptime is also extremely low, with the only attack speed slow being from a dps DK. Tell him to use the tools his class provided him to better effect, frankly.

Also, when your Paladin is tanking, Vindication uptime is pretty high - it's applied automatically - whereas Judgements of the Just (attack speed slow) uptime is abysmal. If he's doing his rotation correctly it should have a very high uptime indeed, which suggests something a bit odd's going on there too.

Aggathon,

Thank you very much, this is exactly the sort of information that I needed. I appreciate the help.

Np... and actually the big spikes make me wonder if the damage distribution of BQL is a normal curve instead of a uniform one like people have hypothesized.

WHO WANTS TO SPREADSHEET IT!? lol.

Nose goes *puts finger on nose*

To the rest of you who have replied, thank you as well. You've all provided a lot of insight and given me something to work on to help improve the problem. I'm greatful to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumines View Post
    The thing with the warrior toolkit being bigger and having all these abilities to use is that you have to actually use them.

Looking at your Rotface attempts: when your Paladin isn't there, nobody's keeping up an AP debuff on the boss (Vindication, Demo Shout, etc.). Thunderclap uptime is also extremely low, with the only attack speed slow being from a dps DK. Tell him to use the tools his class provided him to better effect, frankly.

Also, when your Paladin is tanking, Vindication uptime is pretty high - it's applied automatically - whereas Judgements of the Just (attack speed slow) uptime is abysmal. If he's doing his rotation correctly it should have a very high uptime indeed, which suggests something a bit odd's going on there too.
    Honestly, there's very little need for others to post after Agg's post, he pretty much quashed all the major point that have a noticeable impact. Having said that, I have to say the following:

I have no idea how you can have poor JotJ uptime, given the 969 rotation ensures that judgements clip. Judgements last 20 seconds, you should be judging every 9 seconds. This means, with proper execution, you can keep it up on 2 targets, but certainly keeping it on one target is facerollable.

Now from a warrior's perspective, I am no longer shocked at the number of times I have to put out demo shout (or demo roar as a druid) when tanking side by side another (warrior/druid). It's a bad habit that is tolerated in normal, but not in HM. If you want your prot warrior to improve something now, have expectations of SIGNIFICANT improvements on Demo Shout uptime on the next run (i.e. get it on his action bar at the very least). If threat/rage is not an issue, as a next step have him experiment with the 5/15/51 or even 5/10/56, contingent of course on him ACTUALLY using demo shout.

At the top: The BQL deaths probably aren't his fault, honestly armor does jack crap on this fight if you're the OT so the only thing he's doing "wrong" as far as his gear/spec is concerned is 1 gem and 1 enchant which should not make the difference between a wipe and a kill, however, the damage that the MT takes IS a huge contributor. Your pally MT has the same flaw as your warrior in that it seems like he went for pieces of convience in a lot of places. He really should NOT be using 5pc T10 (or even 4pc probably) and needs to drop his legs for Pillars of Might. He also needs to pick up the frost belt and frost cape. The damage your MT takes correlates much more to how much damage the OT takes than the OT himself on BQL. If the healers aren't keeping up the OT then that's the real issue, imo. Beacon of Light solves this EASILY. My guess is that it's falling off.

Edit: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...orei&cn=Sinuhe <- armory of the prot pally.

@Rotface: I don't really see any attempts that really look like it was HIS fault that the raid wiped. On attempt 4 he took 2 ticks of ooze flood which probably didn't help. On attempt 3 he did get hit with the explosion though:

[22:53:19.571] Big Ooze Unstable Ooze Explosion Mutedsilence 11033 (R: 1494)

It's not a ton of damage for a tank to take though and he died long after it. These guys hit hard and looking at the logs every time he dies he goes for long durations of time without getting any significant heals. On attempt for he goes for 6 seconds without a single heal over 10k before he dies, and he pops healthstones and such, but Ancestral Awakening and Prayer of Mending are really his only 2 heals in that timespan. Before that it's another 12 seconds before he gets any significant heal and it's a chain heal bounce for ~9k. He's even using lightwell, otherwise it's just PoM bounces and random HoTs and a hit from a CoH.

My guess is that your healers die and people stop healing him as a primary target because they're trying to heal the raid. I'm not too sure you can really pin these wipes on him. After looking through your logs it looks like you have other problems.

Moving on though.

I haven't really seen a need to spec imp demo in my raids because pally vindication is only like 3ap worse, same with druid imp roar which is much more accessible to druids. If you don't have those options and tank deaths are an issue in HMs then you may want to think about that respec.

Even with the other buffs, I try to keep demo/tclap up as much as possible and have made it a point to focus on that as of late, especially since threat is so easy to generate. That way even if vindication falls off I still have a buffer.

Having said that, losing impale/deep wounds is a huge TPS loss and if you aren't expertise capped them your TPS is gonna drop through the floor. If you have lots of rogues and/or hunters for tricks, this can counteract that and still allow DPS to go balls to the walls.

I also just now noticed his glyphs:

Minor Glyphs: Imo he should drop something for glyph of command, probably glyph of mocking blow. I finally picked it up and it's just so much easier to keep it up with the timer is 4 mins or whatever instead of 2, 2 minutes goes by surprisingly fast.

He also should get rid of glyph of enraged regeneration.
    Like ya healing yourself for 10% more of your health is cool, and that scales with the ICC buff (and people are probably going to call BS on me here b/c of my love of blood draining and if you really want to send me a PM and we can discuss it) but really I don't feel like glyph of enraged regen is as good as several of the other options, especially blocking (for defense) or devastate (faster sunders = faster dps and much better threat gen).

Some napkin math here:

Your warrior is probably close to like... 70k HP buffed in ICC25 at this point? 65k? For math's sake lets go with 70k.

30% over 10 seconds, 3% per tick at 70k HP = 2100 HP a second for a total of 21,000 healed over 10 seconds
    40% over 10 seconds, 3% per tick at 70k HP = 2800 HP a second for a total of 28,000 healed over 10 seconds.

so really, it's only 700 more HP a second or 7k HP total, and that's assuming all of that goes into effective healing. Now if you use that global for shield block instead and have glyph of block, you're blocking 20% more and shield block can be activated in the middle of a global cooldown, enraged regen cannot. Now per block that's only ~340 more damage per hit for him, but if he's using shield block instead then we're talking about blocking ~ 2k more damage per hit which imo is better than 700 HPS.

Idk, the numbers aren't too terrible, maybe I haven't given the glyph enough of a chance to do some math on it, but I just feel like ER a better cooldown to be used in conjuction with a trinket or something and that glyph of blocking overall is going to be better than glyph of enraged regen. I guess I don't like that it relies on your GCD to be up. Also pre-ICC buff enraged regen was never as good as when a tank as 70 freaking k HP =P.

Oh also: your warrior should change his boot enchant to tuskarr's vitality.
    Last edited by Aggathon; 07-08-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Okay, I decided to take a look at your holy pally Valorthes.

A few things. Keep in mind I know a bit about Holy Pallies, but not a ton. One of my best friends IRL is a great holy pally and really knows his stuff, so the best i can do is compare him to your pally for some of the overall things/gear, but I do know details.

First off:
    Flash of Light 21.5 %
    Holy Light 19.1 %

That's wrong, To my understanding, FoL should not be used almost at all, if it needs to be then he is gearing incorrectly because I can guarantee you that my buddy (Healana) has worse gear than your pally overall but has good enough regen that he can cast holy light and enough haste that it's like a 1.4 sec cast time or something, iirc.

Your pally: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...i&cn=Valorthes
    Healana: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rom&cn=Healana

First: your holy pally does not have his meta gem active. If he puts a +10 stats gem in his helm, this solves that problem.

Second: Stats wise: Your pally has more haste and more SP, but apparently less regen to back it up. Now I know Healana is spec'd into ret instead of Prot (didn't go for DiSac basically) so he's gonna have more crit than normal, but he has WAY more than your holy pally, more int, and more mana regen. Basically your holy pally seems to have gone for higher output stats (haste/sp) without the regen areas to support it and is subsequently unable to keep up holy lights and is having to fill with a LOT of FoL.

3rd: on the BQL fight itself if you look under buffs gained for mutedsilence, beacon of light is NOT ON THERE AT ALL. He also doesn't receive a single heal from beacon of light. It looks like the pally actually put beacon of light on himself. This is bad.

If anyone wants to correct me on any of this that knows more about holy pallies then by all means, but AFAIK this is correct.

The more I dig into these logs I really don't think it's the warrior's (or the tank's) fault in general for your wipes, however I'm also not their and they could be more optimal than they are, but they're not BAD persay.

Edit: Here's a log of a holy pally that actually does HM BQL: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/k...?s=8067&e=8331

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rom&cn=Golijov
    Last edited by Aggathon; 07-08-2010 at 12:00 PM.

AFAIK Int>everything for a holy paladin spamming Holy Light until mana is not an issue.

Oh yeah... self beacon = wasted heals.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Well the holy pally is gemming int, it just looks like he forgets to hit is socket bonuses to get the meta, lol.

Valorthes might look at how Golijov gemmed his chest as an alternative to the +10stats gem in helm.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    At the top: The BQL deaths probably aren't his fault, honestly armor does jack crap on this fight if you're the OT so the only thing he's doing "wrong" as far as his gear/spec is concerned is 1 gem and 1 enchant which should not make the difference between a wipe and a kill, however, the damage that the MT takes IS a huge contributor. Your pally MT has the same flaw as your warrior in that it seems like he went for pieces of convience in a lot of places. He really should NOT be using 5pc T10 (or even 4pc probably) and needs to drop his legs for Pillars of Might. He also needs to pick up the frost belt and frost cape. The damage your MT takes correlates much more to how much damage the OT takes than the OT himself on BQL. If the healers aren't keeping up the OT then that's the real issue, imo. Beacon of Light solves this EASILY. My guess is that it's falling off.
    Again thank you for this. I'll go over this with our Prot Paladin as well, makes sense that he's taking more damage given the same mistakes are evident in our paladin as well. As far as the healing goes, I'm quite sure we were having issues with our Beacon healer. Still trying to work that out.

My guess is that your healers die and people stop healing him as a primary target because they're trying to heal the raid. I'm not too sure you can really pin these wipes on him. After looking through your logs it looks like you have other problems.
    Indeed that's pretty much what it looked like last night, to be clear I'm in no way trying to pin/blame this guy for anything and everything going on in the raid. Simply I'm trying to find out if there is anything we can do to improve his survivability. Of course healing him is the biggest factor in that.

Again thanks a bunch, you've provided a huge amount of insight and given me a lot to work with to help improve things. I really do appreciate the help

No problem, that's why I post here! I like seeing bosses die, even if I'm not the one doing it =P. Although if my boss finds out I just spent 2 hours going through WoW logs and Armories I'll probably get fired. Theorycrafting is addicting, lol.

Lemme Help out Agg a bit, I do my fair share of Holy Pally work.

Flash of Light 21.5 %
    Holy Light 19.1 %

That's wrong, To my understanding, FoL should not be used almost at all, if it needs to be then he is gearing incorrectly because I can guarantee you that my buddy (Healana) has worse gear than your pally overall but has good enough regen that he can cast holy light and enough haste that it's like a 1.4 sec cast time or something, iirc.

Your pally: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...i&cn=Valorthes
    Healana: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rom&cn=Healana
    Or put another way, there are two builds, FoL and HL, and it's been proven that HL is superior to FoL and currently the Holy Pally is doing neither all too well.

First: your holy pally does not have his meta gem active. If he puts a +10 stats gem in his helm, this solves that problem.
    self explanatory, although I would favour doing the chest rather than 10 stats (10 stats is great for weirdo hybrids that use a lot of stats, like feral druids, enh shamans, hunters, and the like. Even for paladins, prot and ret are good with 10 stats, holy pallies not so much)

Second: Stats wise: Your pally has more haste and more SP, but apparently less regen to back it up. Now I know Healana is spec'd into ret instead of Prot (didn't go for DiSac basically) so he's gonna have more crit than normal, but he has WAY more than your holy pally, more int, and more mana regen. Basically your holy pally seems to have gone for higher output stats (haste/sp) without the regen areas to support it and is subsequently unable to keep up holy lights and is having to fill with a LOT of FoL.
    I gotta disagree here with Agg here. The difference is in the trinket (and possibly some of the 16 int instead of 20 int... bad pallie! yer a JC for gods sake!). I would also take Sliver over 84 int of Tears of the Vanquished, given that the on-use is quite powerful for regen if you are religious about it. However, it's really secondary to Althor's Abacus which you should get off heroic LootShip 25.
    However, after the Divine Illumination nerf, no paladin should pick crit over MP5. Also, the emblems of HEROISM Libram (yes, you heard right) is better than anything else for HL spec, see Healana's Libram. Frost emblem cloak is in order to replace pvp cloak. There is also merit in going with Int to Bracers instead of spell power.

Specwise, I personally prefer the ret route, but I'll roll with the DiSac Build. Take out the 3 points in Imp Devo (your Pally MT has that covered, as well as your resto druid). Take out the one point in Aura Mastery, and put in 2 points into Imp Lay on Hands and finish Concentration aura. That will make it a better build, and provide your raid with another defensive cooldown (superior to that of Aura Mastery). If you really insist on aura mastery, go with 2/3 imp Conc aura.

3rd: on the BQL fight itself if you look under buffs gained for mutedsilence, beacon of light is NOT ON THERE AT ALL. He also doesn't receive a single heal from beacon of light. It looks like the pally actually put beacon of light on himself. This is bad.

If anyone wants to correct me on any of this that knows more about holy pallies then by all means, but AFAIK this is correct.

The more I dig into these logs I really don't think it's the warrior's (or the tank's) fault in general for your wipes, however I'm also not their and they could be more optimal than they are, but they're not BAD persay.

Edit: Here's a log of a holy pally that actually does HM BQL: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/k...?s=8067&e=8331

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rom&cn=Golijov

+ Reply to Thread