+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: RealID -- Unethical and Dangerous

I have spent 5 years building the brand "Nodor". I'm a blacksmith. I'm a tank. I'm a raid leader. I'm not famous, but I don't want to be - the people who have helped me and who I've helped know me under that name.

Now Blizzard wants me to start over and attempt to build a brand under my real name so I can:
    1. Risk my job/future employment.
    2. Provide people who I've annoyed ways to find me in real life (Shocking, but people take raid slotting decisions personally)
    3. Provide ways and means for people to disparage my character due to my hobbies
    4. Provide demographic and contact information to marketing firms and data-miners

Sadly, due to the policy changes I can't even post this on the Blizzard forums.

Just want to point out that Takkara hits it dead on the subject.

It's unbelieve that people who have been part of a online community for so long have so many years experience dealing with this, that this doesn't come with great disagreements from within themselfs.

However does this might be linked by several community managers now quitting? Or perhaps i'm just seeing links where there are really none.

Quote Originally Posted by Legionodeath View Post
    I dont feel bad for them at all. If at one time they felt it was a good idea, when it backfires right in their face, they will learn it wasnt. It might be learning the hard way but everyone at one time in their life learns something the hard way.

-LoD
    I highly doubt the Community employees had anything to do with this change. It was probably some higher up guy, who talked with a group of other higher up guys, who have probably never even talked to the community in their life, they just tell other people to do so.

Well, the biggest thing is I hope that these guys don't learn their mistakes the hard way.

The big thing is I don't understand why they're forcing people to use their real name for this. Why not force people to have an Alias that is used only for the forums in conjunction with said Battle.net account. That way there's a name to the account that everyone can see and links all other characters to it but is not something that destroys your privacy.

I'm personally going to come and stay at Tankspot now because it's going to be a nice "anonymous" style forum that won't hurt my chances of getting a job or some crazy person thinking they need to talk to me.

Also, great post Ciderhelm. Really sums everything up nicely.

As I said in the other thread, as a High School Teacher, with many students who play Blizzard games, and an employer who fanatically forbids electronic communication between students and teachers because of lawsuits, I will be barred from posting on any Blizzard message board.

I want to keep my job, and posting on Blizzard forums if this goes into effect can/will make that much more difficult. Students know my full name, many suspect/know I play WoW, and they will hunt down my posts. Those who like(d) me will try to engage in conversations about my posts at school, those who dislike(d) me will have a potential bludgeon to get me fired over. I've already had to basically shut down my facebook page due to students attempting to friend me on it and contacting me on it. I was almost fired because I simply responded to a facebook PM with a simple statement of "I cannot accept friend requests from students" (or something very similar to that). The fact that my reply was so short and said what it did was the only reason I was not fired. I did get a severe reprimand and a notice in my employee file.

That said - I also simply do not WANT my real name on the WoW forums or associated with my WoW character. Sure, I'd love an "ID" that is cross realm/cross game/cross forum that is my own unique identifier, but I do not want it do be my real name, nor do I want it to be my battle.net email address. (sheesh, that's just asking for my account to be compromised.)

I could not believe my eyes when I read this, they really must trying to destroy communities in their games.

First they ruined Starcraft 2 multiplayer by not including LAN support, no chat rooms, and no cross-regional games without multiple licenses. When real ID first came out, I was skeptical about it giving away my real name. But since I could choose who I gave it to, it wasn't really that bad.
    If Blizzard really does go threw with this, I see it completely destroying any sense of community the forums have now. It might get rid of the trolls, but it will also get rid of most the good posters too. Even though I have a common name, I still wouldn't want it displayed on a public forum that the world can see.
    Id be all for a shared ID for your WoW account that if u click it, it displays all that persons characters, I never post on a level 1 alt anyway.

I actually feel bad for the community managers and other Blizzard employees for two reasons:

1. I can't imagine that all Blizzard employees would want their real name out there to the world. But yet they are forced to post if it is in their job description to do so.

2. I can foresee many forum/community employees at Blizzard losing their job over this. Once the RealID system is put live, I'm almost positive that the forum use will plummet, and there just won't be a need for all of those community managers to stick around.
    Yeah i see a serious decline in Blizzards already failing customer service if this goes live.
    If anyone from Blizzard is reading this, all I can say is that changes like this are only going to lead to the end of the Blizzard Entertainment.

Well.. instresting faqt

I just had a odd thought.

Think of your children playing on ages 11-15 World of Warcraft and adds without knowing.. a person thats frankly helped you.

So this unknown gets hold of your name and finds out your address, try imagine if this unknown would be likely phedofile.

Frankly, if I would be one of the devoloper. I wouldn´t want to responsible about it.

Even while im at 21 age, I haven´t yet trusted anyone, that I haven´t met on real life to add as RealID feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Helgi View Post
    I actually feel bad for the community managers and other Blizzard employees for two reasons:

1. I can't imagine that all Blizzard employees would want their real name out there to the world. But yet they are forced to post if it is in their job description to do so.
    I really don't think Blizzard's employees will care that much. It's completely normal to use your real name to conduct business whether it's in real life or on the internet.

And while I don't like this change anymore then the next person, it's inevitable. Eventually, there will come a time when we will all be accountable for everything we do on the internet.

Ultimately my concern is in part this pending change; but also what could be in the future. As it is, if this system is implemented "as-is", I will no longer post on the official forums (as I'm sure many others will do the same) for many of the same reasons already posted.

Regarding the future, I fear requiring players to use their real names on the forums is only the beginning. How long will it be until we are required to use our name in-game?

When push comes to shove, all we have in this life is our identity. I for one am not willing to potentially give it up for the sake of a video game. I am positive there are many people who play that value their anonymity even more than I. I wouldn't doubt there are movie stars, music artists, athletes, and others of the like that play this game. As stated above, their privacy is next to none as it is. Don't take away one of the last remaining ways to keep it. From all my clients I contact throughout the day, or even the thousands among thousands that saw me during Keith Urban's tour last year, I have a great appreciation that my name remains safe and as I already said, I won't risk it for a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid View Post
    I just had a odd thought.

Think of your children playing on ages 11-15 World of Warcraft and adds without knowing.. a person thats frankly helped you.

So this unknown gets hold of your name and finds out your address, try imagine if this unknown would be likely phedofile.

Frankly, if I would be one of the devoloper. I wouldn´t want to responsible about it.
    Important to note that parents will be able to use the parental settings to prevent their kids from posting online once this new system hits live.
    If a parent fails to take such action to prevent their kids from using this system, then I can basically say they fail as parents.

And yet, I agree with you because some parents are somehow obvious to the fact that their kid has a Facebook page, or plays WoW, or plays mature rated games at age 13.

Re: RealID -- Unethical and Dangerous

I agree with ciderhelm. Luckily there are places like tankspot where we can stay. I think every game I've played in the last 8 years I've used my handle of "goros". People know me, but it doesn't mean I want them googling me or visiting my facebook. If I wanted them to know, they would know.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

Honestly, I used to be shy about my name--until I worked in customer service for a large university that requires me to smatter my full name all over anything and everything. I have emailed thousands of people with my full name in the signature, and sit there with a nameplate with my full name in front of me when I work at the front desk. We don't just get nametags like waiters that say "Jason" or "Vanessa", our nameplates say full first and last name. Mostly so users know who our supervisors are supposed to yell at if they have a complaint

The WoW forums are just another extension of our character. When I play WoW I am not me, I am my character. I use this game as an escape from the world. I have a not so fun job and a extermly plain and boring life. I play the game to get away from those things. When I post on the forums, I want to do it as my character not me. I dont want to worry about what I say because I am worried about who will see this. This is just a bad idea and I hope Blizzard rethinks it.

Here's hoping that some of the leaders of their own community will make Blizzard pay attention and consider the overall implications of what they're trying to push onto their player base, who, by far, seems almost entirely against such changes.
    Quality Over Quanity.

The RealID system in game was taking a step too far what with the whole real name and email issue, but you can friend ppl at your own discretion, this is just taking waaaay over the line and this is obviously a big deal.

I dont know WTF Blizzard is thinking, and yet they wonder why we think that the current WoW staff is incompitent after the loss of Jeff Kaplan and other original devs...

The ability to give yourself a static nickname (vs real name or char name) seems the smart move with RealID in all aspects.

I don't agree with this move by Blizzard, but I never post on their forums to begin with. I am also in the group of people that would be lightly (at most) hindered by this change (male, secure career, common name, etc).

I'm kinda angry that they're gonna do this, though I can also see the reasons why they want to. As for loosing Custom, I think a few might quit, but tbh, I don't use the forum very often... usually only to pass time while I'm waiting EIGHT HOURS for the realms to restart after a patch... (thumbs up on 3.3.5 Blizz, I even did housework in that time!) and I doubt people will stop playing because of it, there will jsut be a lot less forum chatter I guess. Nevertheless, it's pretty crappy, but we did all agree to it in the TnC
    Druid in game, Druid in real life
    http://groveofyews.blogspot.com/

To add to my recent post I remember seeing someone say something to the extent of "don't post anything you wouldn't want some to see." This is more than an issue of the integrity of the content in the post. The sheer association with this game could have an impact on those seeking jobs for example.

Also, I'd hate to cause other people with the same name as mine to be barraged by others asking if they play WoW. As an example, I share the exact same name as a major league baseball player. You think he wants his fans asking him if he plays? I highly doubt it

I am fine with using a common tag name for all interaction in and out of game. Not my real name however. As for the whole "parental controls" thing how many kids have an account unknown to their parents that they made at a freind's house or only play somewhere other than home?
    As a 48 year old father of 3 teenagers and older I know this is common. So the parental failure thing does not apply if there is no way of knowing the account even exists. The only fix for the RealId thing if Blizzard doesn't change this is to have to generate a false ID to play games. I do not agree with doing this but I do not agree with having my real name put out there as a condition of me playing a game either. It will not stop the trolls they will just generate new ID's. This will only hurt the honest players.

+ Reply to Thread