+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: RealID -- Unethical and Dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    But it doesn't mean I like the idea, and so I think making a stand against it is a good idea. For the record, I don't like the idea because of how it compromises certain individuals, and because of its potential impacts when people are searched for things like employment. I'm not really worried about some individual going nutso and trying to do things which are extremely difficult to do with just a name. Hence my sig.
    I was mainly replying to the 'strike' idea. I felt it was silly and childish.

I agree that for some people, this is a bad thing. And, as someone mentioned, if they start exposing RealID info on the armory, I'd be mad as hell, but, you'll have a choice to not post in the forums, so, no one's holding a gun to your head, imo, or exposing info on you without your knowledge.

Since My battle.net acct doesn't have my real name anyway I am free to troll the servers!!!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

I love all of the people saying just using a first and last name can't get you anywhere. I googled myself because of this thread. 1 result didn't attach to me, and it was easy to figure out because the guy died (its an obituary). From just the headlines, you now know my brother's name, my hometown, at least one sport I played in high school, you find out I ran really slowly in some 10k races, and my age. Now if you actually clicked on those links you could easily find more info.

I personally will not be posting on any official Blizzard forums if this goes live. While my profession isn't usually negatively impacted by the gamer stigma (I'm in IT), I don't want to risk a prospective job because of it. I guess no more technical support for the gaming rig I just built...

Just posting in this thread to say I also agree that this is ridiculous. When I first read it, I had to re-read it, since I thought, "There's no WAY I read that right." I'm sure Blizzard reads these forums as well, and the longer this thread is, the more impact it might make.

Quote Originally Posted by drlawyer View Post
    Perhaps. But again, noting my point 1 above, how is the employer to know that the Rachel Dawes posting on a Blizzard forum is the same Rachel Dawes that is sitting in the next office? Gotta be more than one Rachel Dawes in the world.
    Damn, it must be really nice to not be the only person with your name directly identifiable out there.

Cause when I google my name that I provided when I made my account - my real name, and what shows up as my Real ID name - my professional Twitter is the first result and my LinkedIn is the second. Basically the only living people with my name are myself and my father - add my suffix to it, and voila, you have me.

Just because a concern does not impact you does not make it a valid concern. Just because "all that is given is a name" does not mean that there aren't ways of divining other information due to previous comments. Posting in the old forums on X character in a "What city do you live in?" topic + posting on the new forums and accidentally attaching X character to it = uh oh...

And honestly, with as many applicants as some hiring boards/headhunters have to go through, who do you think they're gonna take - candidate X, or equally qualified candidate Y that might play WoW.

Bear in mind the massively negative stigma that WoW has in most HR circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rilgon View Post
    Bear in mind the massively negative stigma that WoW has in most HR circles.
    That's because HR in general is obscenely messed-up in general, and still favors flash over substance in many cases. At 40, I have a good job, and I just got it, and I refused to cater to that kind of HR people, and no issue was made of my facebook or hobbies. It's just not worth the stress or the bulls--t involved; i.e. I guess at my age I've found I really do have principles, and I won't work for people stupid enough to arbitrarily toss people out for merely playing games as a hobby.

That's why I don't think the job thing holds water. If your chosen vocation won't hire you because you love to game, then you need to think about that, and decide which one you're going to drop: the job or the game. Speaking from experience, letting FUD run your life is just another path to personal hell.

Now, the stalker/personal privacy issue does have more substance to it, but, again, until and unless they change it, you do have the option to not post on the forums at all. You also have the option to vote with your feet if you feel as strongly about it as many posters in this thread say they do. I know that if I felt that strongly about a company, I'd be severing relations with them pretty quickly, let alone spend more money with them. It's your choice, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    That's why I don't think the job thing holds water. If your chosen vocation won't hire you because you love to game, then you need to think about that, and decide which one you're going to drop: the job or the game. Speaking from experience, letting FUD run your life is just another path to personal hell.
    I currently don't have to drop either. I love playing World of Warcraft, and I love working in IT.

Why, then, should I have to choose between one or the other for some misguided, improper crusade against "trolls" - if, in fact, that's even the reason?

Of course, you'll reply with the usual "well, the forums are optional" - yeah, optional; tell that to all the Blizzard GMs in-game who advise most petitioners about technical support issues to *gasp* post on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanrah View Post
    I love all of the people saying just using a first and last name can't get you anywhere. I googled myself because of this thread. 1 result didn't attach to me, and it was easy to figure out because the guy died (its an obituary). From just the headlines, you now know my brother's name, my hometown, at least one sport I played in high school, you find out I ran really slowly in some 10k races, and my age. Now if you actually clicked on those links you could easily find more info.

I personally will not be posting on any official Blizzard forums if this goes live. While my profession isn't usually negatively impacted by the gamer stigma (I'm in IT), I don't want to risk a prospective job because of it. I guess no more technical support for the gaming rig I just built...
    Yes, but knowing that you suck at track isn't going to 'compromise your identity' and cause you to get identity-thefted.

Why, then, should I have to choose between one or the other for some misguided, improper crusade against "trolls" - if, in fact, that's even the reason?
    So, why is Blizzard automatically at fault for this? What about the witch-hunters that people on this thread seem to be working for or trying to find work with? I refuse to work for closed-minded people like that. You seem to be defending their practices, and laying all the blame on Blizzard. I acknowledged the issues with it on the personal privacy side, but, again, the job issue has two sides to it.

every stalker in the world must be licking their lips between faps now. GJ blizzard, you made the internetz more dangerous for normal people.

I cannot understand their decision to do this. A simple username, standing in for your real name, would accomplish exactly the same thing as this, without any of the problems inherent in publicizing your real name to the Internet.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

This is too far for me to be honest - I was excited for Cataclysm - I was excited for Starcraft 2 - I was even excited to be able to cross-realm chat.

Now I'm not. Now I'm not sure I want an account with such a company. My name is Nixkamich and I am a Tauren Protection Warrior - will I still be this in Cataclysm? Not unless RealID is sidelined, made less obtrusive or otherwise wants to show my 'real' name. What's wrong with me being Nixkamich to Blizzard? What's wrong with Troll 20000000000000000000365879 being Troll 200000000000000000365879?

Well,

I, for one, am not taking this laying down. Rather than make a probable empty threat at cancelling my account alltogether, I have done the following and would hope anyone else of like mind tank this boss in a similar manner:

Dear Creative (Sound Blaster) Marketing,

Please be advised that I, as a consumer, in protest of Blizzards recent announcement of mercenary disregard of customer service and sound internet safety practices by mandating the revelation of personal information in exchange for participation, will no longer be frequenting their forums when their intended REAL ID feature goes into full effect.

In the mean time and for future reference, any company that that I am aware of utilizing a Blizzard or Activision venue for advertisement or having license to use logos or trademarks of the same for partnered marketing programs shall NOT be considered as a viable source of products or services so long as Blizzard intends or maintains this or a similar policy.

You may wish to consider alternate means of dispersing your advertising budget for your otherwise reputable products.

Sincerely,

Consumer X

Sent via webform at:
    http://us.creative.com/contactus/mar.../marketing.asp

Sent to Swagdog at:
    info@SwagDog.com

Sent to Nvidia at:
    channelpartners@nsc-nvidia.com

Oh, I might add that when I posted this on Blizzard's general forum, it was promptly deleted.

So, why is Blizzard automatically at fault for this?
    Because Blizzard is the one changing the rules. I have kept my professional life and my gaming life separate for the very reasons why people are worried about this.

Is it stupid that I have to obfuscate my hobbies and what I do in my off time in order to increase my chances at getting employment? Sure it does. But that's how it is, and I've worked within those guidelines. Blizzard is now changing how "the game" is played for no justifiable reason. And from some of Wryxian's replies, they quite frankly don't care.

I can't change the opinions of middle-aged HR hiring boards who think "that there internet" is a productivity-killer and that "vidja games" are for children. I can attempt to prevent change for a product I pay for - or I can simply stop using said product.

My SC2 pre-order was canceled on the way home from work today. My Cataclysm preorder and account will follow if this goes through.

So, why is Blizzard automatically at fault for this?
    Because Blizzard is the one changing the rules.
    Agreed.

I agree it is unlikely that Bad-Things-Will-Happen because Blizzard gives up my real name to the world. But Good-Things-Will-Happen is even less likely. So why should I let them share my name? There is no upside to me.

My issue with this is I gave them my real name when the consequences were different and now that they're changing the game, I cannot take that info back. The only thing I can do is is close my accounts, delete all my characters, and hope a future change doesn't out me anyway.

Again, being shut out of the official forums is really no big deal for me. Blizzard's continuing push to drag me out into the light against my will is.

I am probably a very extreme example so I am in no way trying to start a movement, but the cacophony this announcement has unleashed means that I am likely not completely alone either.

I never liked the armory in its initial form. I would have opted out if possible then. I didn't like when they added achievement info, more reason for me to opt out. RSS feeds and still no opt out? I flipped but then calmed down and ignored it. RealID cross game chat and never be able to hide from everyone again? Ewwww, never use it.

The forum change is really just one more thing on top of all the others. By themselves none is really enough for me to worry about. Put together the clearly show that Blizzard and I are very far apart on privacy issues and moving further away all the time.

They have convinced me that they are no longer a company I can allow myself to do business with.

You give out real names in most real life circumstances, but those circumstances are mostly traceable. You give out your real names in facebook, and guess what, social networking sites are sweet data source for ID thefts and phishing scams. Guess where police task forces go to when they want to bait pedobears?

Its all about feasibility and deterrence (lolhunter) - Downloading music illegally is easy, stealing a security-tagged CD from a store is slightly harder. Running a web app to 'farm' a php forum for 100k+ real names, IP, personal interests and potential Internet aliases for personalized phishing attempts, E-stalking, malware downloads and ID theft is easy.

Theres really no need to unsubscribe your WoW account, This realID toy cost money and time to develop, boycotting it alone would be considered a loss in investment for Blizzard.

And please don't think this is simply a solution to bad posts on the official forum - if the B.net forum is 'optional extra' for one's subscription, then heavy moderation and permanent removal of a troll's right to post would be a simple and cheaper solution. Look at the EJ forum, cleanest thing on the Internet - You'll get an infraction if you so much as putting 'lol' on your post without a formula and napkin math to back it up.

My first reaction to this was:
    What will be the reaction when that first stalker rapes some woman or predator kidnaps/abuses some child for the attachment they felt via WoW and had their real name?
    Blizzard hasn't even begun to feel the pressure that such a news headline would create!
    Some couple in Asia neglected their kid to death because they played WoW too much.
    Some kid went psycho because his WoW friendships/guild whatever collapsed.
    Many stories blaming WoW for peoples failures.
    Now Blizzards loads the gun, too?

Very fail choice, imo.

i love how overboard people are being about this. dont post on the forums if you dont like it it has nothing to do with WoW itself. if a GM ingame is reffering you to use the forums to find answers, just reply back to him that you cant. make up some random excuse if you feel the need to. seriously its not a big deal. i have never once posted on a blizzard forum nor do i ever plan to. its a side service they provide to try to help people...they can run it however they want. you arent paying a monthly fee to be a part of a forum, your paying to play the actual video game. people that are stopping their subscriptions or canceling pre orders are just plain silly. do you even realize how many people play this game that never visit the forums? you think stopping your account is going to immediate cause them to bow down to your wishes? and to be quite honest, do you honestly think you are important for anybody to give a shit about and put in the effort to google you? yea somebody you pissed off might take the time to look something up, but 999 times out of a 1000 that said person will cool off in the process and just not care anymore.

its the modern age with twitter and facebook and myspace and all this other stuff that makes everybody feel like the whole world gives a shit about every little thing you do. say something on the forums, and the whole wow community is going to hunt you down? not likelyl

Quote Originally Posted by kasanagi View Post
    Theres really no need to unsubscribe your WoW account, This realID toy cost money and time to develop, boycotting it alone would be considered a loss in investment for Blizzard.
    Again, not trying to start a movement here, and I don't really care if you (or anyone else) believe(s) me, but I have to completely disagree with this.

Perhaps you are just far more optimistic than I?

I am sure this will go through. There will be plenty of people who will post after the change.

I won't be the only one who leaves the game entirely because of it, but I don't think the real number will be very significant either. And then there will be those who do quit but go back once things settle down.

Blizz will get enough out of it to convince themselves they've made the right decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Errvalunia View Post
    Yes, but knowing that you suck at track isn't going to 'compromise your identity' and cause you to get identity-thefted.
    But it could potentially lead to my not getting a job (and in this economy any advantage is needed), being stalked by my crazy ex again, etc...

+ Reply to Thread