+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DK Tank styles

Quote Originally Posted by Goros View Post
    Tell that to HM Sindy when you are solo tanking and she parry hastes and kills you instantly. I'll stand in there at 20-25 stacks till she's dead (with the other tank DPSING) and not worry about it.

I tried DW tanking, got squishier, and went back to 2H. My healers (Druids, Priests - both holy and disc, and pally) all told me it was harder to heal and damage was spikier. Coincidence? Not since I was using 2 tank specs at the time and switching back and forth to test it. Also, please show me a 1H dps weapon with 2-3 blue sockets on it to stack stam in? Or how you reach into blood or unholy to get extra "usable" talents that help you tank (like morbidity?). Strength and AP = threat, and while stam is shiny I don't see any stam in the frost DW tree.

I agree that the basics don't change, but I'd rather move points into talents that get me something other than flair. As you say, it might be a skill level thing, but I haven't seen a successful DW frost tank maintanking hardmodes. Doesn't mean it can't happen.
    Wow, yeah I'll do that. Or perhaps not. Solo tanking Sindy is a really stupid idea, it's just asking for trouble it's just a countdown until you get 1 shot. The only time I've taken stacks that high is when the other tank has died and we're either out of battle rezzes or are waiting for a good time to get a rez off, or burning the last few percent. I'll bow to your superior knowledge of the encounter having tanked kills in both sizes and difficulties... Oh wait... Hmm... Unless your armory is broken you dreamed that Sindy hard mode kill.

Unlike you I have actually tanked it to completion on both difficulties in 10man and normal 25, and I've done all three as dual wield frost. In fact when we were first progressing on her in 10heroic and 25man I tanked her with a freaky DW build with acclimation in it to further reduce the damage from all the frost damage.

Regarding the spec thing I posted earlier for him, I'd recommend something like http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0EZhxe0AbI0c0fuzAo0g for DW frost. You hit every important tanking talent. Morbitiy is mediocre at best for frost since you only use half of it and even then only on trash. Hint; if you're using Death Coil you're doing it wrong. Epidemic's a personal preference but if you really wanted you could put those two talents in to Endless Winter and get your str back see?). Out of interest, you seem to have a trash build with trash glyphs and then a DPS spec. Offtank much?

I can't show you a 1 handed weapon with 3 sockets because that would be totally stupid. Since you get two of them you would get SIX sockets. I can show you 1handed weapons with 1 socket though, and because you get TWO of them you get 1+1=2 sockets! Frost Giant's Cleaver for example. They're ridiculously easy to get and 2 of them gives you 106stam + 2 sockets. That's only 58 less than that Ramaladni's Blade of Culling that you're rocking. That's like 1.5% of your total stamina. It's a fairly minimal difference to be quite honest.

If you want though I'll go DW frost tonight and tank my way through the first four bosses on 25heroic to make a point?

Quote Originally Posted by Kahtee View Post
    Yeah, I but I love frost tanking way more, the play style is awesome for me
    Yes, I agree with you there. Frost is really fun for tanking or DPS. However, the simpler blood style will also let you focus more on your tanking responsibilities as well.

We solo tank sindy even in pugs (provided we have a good DK tank)...the other tank just goes dps and as long as you know how to ride your cooldowns you can get it done with 2 heals.

I never said "I" downed it, I've just played a frost dk tank since 3.0 and think that DW frost is fail for tanking (this is my personal opinion. You are of the opposite opinion but like to be mean to make yourself feel better). I love it for dps, hate it for tanking. If you can't down sindy before you hit 25+ stacks and get insta-killed, you need better dps. In my experience, I am far more survivable in 2H Frost.

I don't tank in my 25 guild mans, I play my mage...my tank is for PUGs mostly. When I tank, its MT because none of the other classes can keep up with my threat. The "trash spec" and "trash glyphs" are there since I don't need more single target threat since they buffed IT. Lets agree to disagree and you can keep being a big l33t asshole, ok?
    Last edited by Goros; 07-08-2010 at 03:34 PM.

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

Quote Originally Posted by Goros View Post
    We solo tank sindy even in pugs (provided we have a good DK tank)...the other tank just goes dps and as long as you know how to ride your cooldowns you can get it done with 2 heals.

I never said "I" downed it, I've just played a frost dk tank since 3.0 and think that DW frost is fail for tanking (this is my personal opinion. You are of the opposite opinion but like to be mean to make yourself feel better). I love it for dps, hate it for tanking. If you can't down sindy before you hit 25+ stacks and get insta-killed, you need better dps. In my experience, I am far more survivable in 2H Frost.

I don't tank in my 25 guild mans, I play my mage...my tank is for PUGs mostly. When I tank, its MT because none of the other classes can keep up with my threat. The "trash spec" and "trash glyphs" are there since I don't need more single target threat since they buffed IT. Lets agree to disagree and you can keep being a big l33t asshole, ok?
    Yeah fair enough it probably works on 10man, but I'd be surprised if it worked reliably if at all on heroic or 25man, or I'd be very reluctant to try it anyway. I can't help but feel like you're boxing yourself in on that one and if you lose anyone at all it's pretty much a wipe because you won't kill her before she one shots your tank.

Well, I wasn't being mean to make myself feel better, but, I apologise. The assumption when you said "Tell that to Sindy HM when you get instagibbed from a parry haste" was that you were speaking from a position of experience. To be fair, no, you didn't expressly say that you had specifically, but it was the implication. I may have gotten a little wound up from being told about some fights from someone who seemed to have little experience of it on either character, and been a little bitchy as a result.

I figured that out, hehe. Makes some sense I guess. Personally I'm a total threat whore because some of my DPS make stupid amounts of threat and I would hate them to have to hold back at all so anything I can do to try and maximise my own performance so that they can maximize theirs I will do. Ideally I'd have a trash tank spec too because they quite often will overaggro something somewhere in a big trash pull but they very rarely die unless they pull the whole group off all the tanks, and then they probably deserved it or were MD'd.

Incidentally I did ninja respec and my healers didn't notice for quite a while, but my point proving was kind of ruined by the fact we were progressing towards our first Deathwhisper HM kill for most of the raid night (25% or so best try, so fucking close it hurt) and I didn't get to continue, but I'll keep the spec for our second run on Sunday and see how that goes to try to gain some idea as to the viability of it in the harder fights. So far I don't actually seem to be much harder to heal but we've only had Marrowgar and Deathwhisper so far. Will try it on Halion, Saurfang, Rotface, Festergut, Blood Queen in Sunday's 25man and see if any flaws get exposed then. Here's the setup I was using. Would link WoL too but I doubt you'll be able to extract much from 19 Deathwhisper wipes "

+ Reply to Thread