Thread: Heroic LK10 Questions

Heroic LK10 Questions

Hi all,

We've put this off for some time now, not wanting to really stress over content where 1 silly mistake over a 15-20 minute fight can cause a wipe, causing us to lose focus. Now that we are getting bored of farming the other bosses, I wanted to dive in and ask some questions on here to see if I can get some clear answers on some things. I hope I can get some constructive feedback I can take to absorb and think about before going back in there on Sunday.

Here goes..

1. How many Necrotic Plagues do you place on the SH's? We've been experimenting with 2 and 3. Not sure if those are the right #'s.

2.As a tank which stats should you primarily be looking for? I MT him with 38k armor, expertise / hit capped, with about 73k HP.

3. Has anyone here killed him with a healing setup other than a Disc Priest / Holy Pally? My guild does have options in that we do have some geared/good healers of every class, so I just want to make sure we want to run with the best one for our first kill.

4. During P2/P3, do you tanks swap for Soul Reapers so that one person takes the SR damage and the other takes the haste buff dmg?

5. During P1, how do you guys manage the ghouls? Does the MT take all of them and just have AoE kill them?

6. What would you consider the optimal setup for this? It seems like most people are picking all ranged if possible. I was thinking a group comp like this...

MT: Paladin
    OT: Warrior
    DPS1: Demo Lock
    DPS2: Arcane or Fire Mage
    DPS3: Elemental Shaman
    DPS4: MM Hunter
    DPS5: Spriest
    DPS6: Rogue (helps with ToTT on ghouls)
    Heal1: Disc Priest
    Heal2: Holy Pally

Hmm, that's all I can think of at the moment. If you guys have any tips that you want to throw in about the fight that I haven't seen yet (P3), please feel free to throw in those extra tips that strategies don't tell you about, but you can wipe to.

Thanks all, great community by the way.

-Liehanna, Burning Blade

For your setup, it seems quite good, on our last couple of kills, we used the same tank setup, one one kill we use resto shaman/holy paladin, however, holy paladin/disc priest is by far the best setup for this fight, and if the disc priest gets picked up, have the holy paladin use Aura Mastery with shadow aura.

I myself find this boss a lot easier due to the 25% buff we're running around with now, we useally kill valkyrs fairly quickly, and you want to transition into p1.5 with only 2 shamblers spawning, and you preferably want them both dead when you move out, this is done easily by having the maintank tank Lich King and the ghouls (pala preferably) and just have the warrior taunt the ghouls as he need them to stack up the Necrotic plague.

For the remaining ghouls, they are just cleaved down during phase 1, and AoE'd at 1.5 untill the first raging spirit spawns, as which point the ghouls will be about dead. Have your mage go fire for this fight.

for phase 1, the only difference is the shamblers 20% enrage that cant be dispelled, but the tank should cooldown/stun through this, and the shadow traps, which i find a no brainer..

Phase 2 if you ask me, is exactly like the normal version except valkyrs have more health and drop their target at 50%, just have your tank not tanking the lich king taunt the valkyrs, and go on as normal.

A ranged heavy setup is a good idea, but its not a requirement, last reset we did it with 3 ranged (MM hunter, Spriest and.... damn it, Can't remember, but we used 3).

Heavy ranged setup helps out on the defile and the vile spirits in the frostmourne room at phase 3.

For phase 3, what we do is soaking the vile spirits, tank LK at the edge, kite him to the other edge when he does his vile spirit cast, mark up your hunter with some mark, have him place a frost trap, and have your tank run over the frost trap to activate it, this helps alot with the vile spirits, and just have your entire raid stack up on the lich king so all spirits goes in the same direction.

For the frostmourne room, just mark your who you think will be best for guiding you in the room, a tank suits best for this since they got nothing to do in here anyway. To kill all the Wicked spirits, with a fire mage, demo lock and shadow priest, you won't have problems, seed of corruption, living bomb and Mind sear is your friend in here, even with 3 ranged with one of them being a shadow priest, on my hunter, I barely get to kill them because whenever i get a target, it ends up dying >.>

But for the soaking, have the paladin tank the boss, and warrior channel cooldowns through the vile spirit soaking, for the first wave, you will most likely have your holy paladin to use divine shield and soak the spirits, since your warrior will still be tanking 1 raging spirits, when the raging dies, just have the warrior soak the waves, if one of them goes through, its okay, they dont deal lethal damage if its just one, and if your disc priest is keeping the entire raid shielded, you will just absorb most of the damage anyway.

Thanks for your reply Kloon. Do you happen to know how many necrotic plagues the raid brings over to the horrors before they run out of the raid?

Quote Originally Posted by Liehanna View Post
    1. How many Necrotic Plagues do you place on the SH's? We've been experimenting with 2 and 3. Not sure if those are the right #'s.
    All of them. We have a tank taunt the Horrors and Ghouls over. Just run the plague over immediately. There's no reason not to let the plague go on them at any time.

Basically, here's the process: Main Tank tanks Lich King and a few ghouls. Add tank tries to peel ghouls off slowly over to them while tanking the first horror. Plague builds up stacks in the ghoul/horror pack. Eventually, the second shambler spawns. At this point, there should only be 1-2 ghouls alive and both of them will die quickly. The it's just two shamblers.

The plague isn't complicated. There are a lot of guilds who have done very complicated strategies, but you should really keep it simple. Get ghouls to the offtank to build the stacks. Stop building stacks when the second horror spawns.

2.As a tank which stats should you primarily be looking for? I MT him with 38k armor, expertise / hit capped, with about 73k HP.
    Looks decent. I'll comment on tanks later though.

3. Has anyone here killed him with a healing setup other than a Disc Priest / Holy Pally? My guild does have options in that we do have some geared/good healers of every class, so I just want to make sure we want to run with the best one for our first kill.
    Yes. We've killed him Disc Priest / Resto Shaman. Phase one is the only time where a holy paladin really makes an impact. If you have a healer who can get you through phase 1, however, any healer combination really will work after that. The disc priest is really the make-or-break healer.

4. During P2/P3, do you tanks swap for Soul Reapers so that one person takes the SR damage and the other takes the haste buff dmg?
    No. You have the benefit of having a warrior. The warrior tank should pickup a talent called Safeguard, which reduces damage taken by 30% for 6 seconds after an intervene (effectively a barkskin). Have the warrior intervene to the main tank on Soul Reapers in which you only have minor cooldowns. You *should* have enough cooldowns to get you through the entire fight. Tank switching is NOT optimal because you have so many buffs to get up on the other tank, and he hits hard and fast enough that you're going to have to use a cooldown anyway. (the 10% less melee damage taken buff from the priest would have to be up on 2 tanks rather than 1).

5. During P1, how do you guys manage the ghouls? Does the MT take all of them and just have AoE kill them?
    We have the Horror tank taunt ghouls until the second Shambler spawns. After that, we stop taunting ghouls. If a ghoul ever does get on the ranged/raid, both tanks need to prioritize getting it off.

6. What would you consider the optimal setup for this? It seems like most people are picking all ranged if possible. I was thinking a group comp like this...
    The only real requirement is an elemental shaman. Elemental shaman brings 5% spell haste, which is more essential for healers than anyone else. 3% spell crit is also great.

MT: Paladin
    OT: Warrior
    Just a note here... In phase 1, you should have the paladin tank the horrors and the warrior tank the boss. The horrors hit much harder than the boss, and warriors are really gimped right now. Ardent Defender's PASSIVE talent is worth 9.6% more effective health (the damage reduction, not the reactive proc)

DPS1: Demo Lock
    DPS2: Arcane or Fire Mage
    DPS3: Elemental Shaman
    DPS4: MM Hunter
    DPS5: Spriest
    DPS6: Rogue (helps with ToTT on ghouls)
    Rogue is not worth it. Get another mage, a ret paladin, a warlock, or a boomkin. Rogue brings 0 raid utility and has effectively 0 raid utility working for him. Ret Paladin / Boomkin would bring 3% haste. Mage would be there purely for damage or 3% damage. Warlock would be able to port in phase 2. etc. Point is, bring people who have raid utility working in their favor or those who add something new.

Hmm, that's all I can think of at the moment. If you guys have any tips that you want to throw in about the fight that I haven't seen yet (P3), please feel free to throw in those extra tips that strategies don't tell you about, but you can wipe to.
    Make sure your driver watches a lot of videos. I'm the driver for my guild, and I spent a lot of time watching it. I screwed it up on the first time we went down there, but have since gotten it right in our 500+ trips to the frostmourne room.

In terms of Valk'yrs, your warrior is going to be king. When a Valk'yr is about to come down, have your DPS spread out but all within the general center of the room (makes defile easy). Your warrior can provide three separate stuns (Conc blow + shockwave + intercept, in that order) on every single Valk'yr. He can also keep Vigilance on the main tank and taunt them as they go into the air. Warrior can also slow them if needed, though it's probably more worth having a mage throw out one frostbolt.

In phase 1, use cooldowns AGGRESSIVELY. In the 10man, the "deadly zone" is when either horror is frenzied. Usually, a horror won't be frenzied for more than 5 seconds, which is convenient when pain suppression lasts 6 seconds. Make sure your add tank is using cooldowns aggressively, including things like Raid Wall. When you go into the first transition, you shouldn't have a single tanking cooldown off CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksen View Post
    In phase 1, use cooldowns AGGRESSIVELY. In the 10man, the "deadly zone" is when either horror is frenzied.
    Also, since you have a hunter, have him Tranq Shot the enrage off of the SHs. When he can't, just have the warrior save his Shockwave for when they enrage.